Go Back   Dodge Ram SRT-10 Forum - Viper Truck Club of America > Off Topic > Non-Offensive
Home Forum Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Garage Mark Forums Read

Non-Offensive

Army Ranger arrested in Washington State bank robbery

This is a discussion on Army Ranger arrested in Washington State bank robbery within the Non-Offensive forums, part of the Off Topic category!
A 20-year-old Chesapeake man has been arrested for a Tacoma, Wash., bank heist in which heavily armed Army Rangers made ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2006, 06:02 PM
VIPER POWERED

Member #40
Army Ranger arrested in Washington State bank robbery

A 20-year-old Chesapeake man has been arrested for a Tacoma, Wash., bank heist in which heavily armed Army Rangers made off with thousands of dollars, police said.

The robbers, wearing ski masks and soft body armor, appeared at the bank with AK-47 assault rifles and handguns and acted with military-style precision, according to a special agent with the FBI. They made off with $54,000 after forcing people in the bank to the floor at gunpoint.

Chad Palmer, a member of the Army's elite Rangers unit at Fort Lewis in Washington, was arrested Thursday in Chesapeake, where he had returned home to visit family.

He was arrested by FBI agents and Chesapeake police shortly after 2 p.m. without incident, said Phil Mann, a Norfolk FBI spokesman. Palmer is scheduled to appear in federal court in Norfolk today for a bail and detention hearing, according to court records.

The bank robbery occurred about 5:15 p.m. Pacific Time on Aug. 7, at a Bank of America branch in the south end of Tacoma, according to Mark Fulghum, a police spokesman. Witnesses told police four or five armed men entered the bank with at least two rifles and handguns, Fulghum said.

During the heist, at least one of the robbers counted down time out loud to the rest of the robbers. The counter, according to federal agents, yelled out: "One minute... 30 seconds... let's go!"

The heist took no more than 2 minutes and 21 seconds.

"It is my opinion that this was an extremely well organized and executed robbery that was carried out with military-style precision and planning," said Special Agent Monte Shaide, in a complaint filed in federal court in Washington.

In addition to Palmer, authorities also arrested fellow Army Rangers Alex Blum, 19, and Luke Sommer, 20, in the robbery. All three men hold the rank of private first class and are attached to C Company, 2nd Battalion, 75th Ranger Regiment. Officials at Fort Lewis declined to comment Monday on the arrests.

A fourth suspect, a 20-year-old Canadian identified as Tigray Robinson, turned himself in to federal agents this weekend. The investigation is continuing in an effort to identify anyone else involved in the case.

A search warrant served last week at Fort Lewis turned up guns and some of the money from the robbery. In Palmer's room, authorities found four purple and white money bands for $2,000 stacks of money. About $420 in $20 bills was found in Palmer's room in or around his desk and night stand, according to federal agents.

Fellow R angers noticed Palmer, Blum and Sommer engaged in secretive conversations prior to the robbery and Blum and Palmer talking about doing a "job," agents said.

Fellow rangers saw two flashbang grenades and one fragmentation grenade in Sommer's room in violation of military regulations. During a search, authorities found eight loaded AK-47 banana-clip magazines, two semiautomatic handguns under a desk and two AK-47 rifles hidden in the ceiling tiles over Sommer's bed.

According to court filings, Blum initially told investigators he was forced at gunpoint to act as a getaway driver. He later told authorities he was paid $10,000 to be the driver and that Sommer recruited two Canadians to take part in the robbery.

"If I can't be a good example then I'll just have to serve as a horrible warning."
Old 08-15-2006, 06:20 PM

Member #191
Unreal....makes me sick....
Old 08-15-2006, 06:30 PM
VIPER POWERED

Member #40
Think these guys watched Heat one time too many.

"If I can't be a good example then I'll just have to serve as a horrible warning."
Old 08-15-2006, 06:33 PM
VIPER POWERED
West VTCoA Regional Member

Member #92
Quote:
Originally Posted by OCBob
Think these guys watched Heat one time too many.
Yup...............

SD

"Tact: the ability to tell a man to "go to Hell" and make him feel happy to be on his way."
Old 08-15-2006, 06:51 PM

Member #339
Be...all that you can be.....find your future......in the Arrrrrrrmy!!!!!!!
Born July, 2004 #3058 of 3057

Best 1/4 mile time: 13.78 on stock tires
Best 1/4 mile time: 13.41 on drag radials
Best 1/4 mile speed: 104.98 on stock tires

Mods: Not a single one yet, unless you count removing the spare
Old 08-15-2006, 06:55 PM

Member #339
Hello, being a former Army infantry soldier, I would like to point out that being stationed with a Ranger bat does not a Ranger make. These guys were all PFCs, which means they were in battalion, but had yet to make their tab. What does this mean? Sorta like saying because I passed the physical for Tacoma police, that now I am a cop. There is a lot of training and discipline that goes into becoming a Ranger, and these guys are giving the REAL Rangers a bad name.

Greg
Born July, 2004 #3058 of 3057

Best 1/4 mile time: 13.78 on stock tires
Best 1/4 mile time: 13.41 on drag radials
Best 1/4 mile speed: 104.98 on stock tires

Mods: Not a single one yet, unless you count removing the spare
Old 08-16-2006, 08:23 AM
VIPER POWERED

Member #36
Stupid dumbasses.

Old 08-16-2006, 08:54 AM
VIPER POWERED

Member #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by fun2xlr8
Hello, being a former Army infantry soldier, I would like to point out that being stationed with a Ranger bat does not a Ranger make. These guys were all PFCs, which means they were in battalion, but had yet to make their tab. What does this mean? Sorta like saying because I passed the physical for Tacoma police, that now I am a cop. There is a lot of training and discipline that goes into becoming a Ranger, and these guys are giving the REAL Rangers a bad name.

Greg
Totally agree with you.....I have several Ranger friends all of which are top notch people.
Old 08-16-2006, 09:25 AM
VIPER POWERED

Member #40
I think what really gives the Rangers a bad name is that these guys got caught LOL. Actually, it sounds as if they were ratted out. At least they didn't hurt anyone, sounds like they at least had the discipline not to start popping off shots inside the place.