Go Back   Dodge Ram SRT-10 Forum - Viper Truck Club of America > Off Topic > Non-Offensive
Home Forum Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Garage Mark Forums Read

Non-Offensive

Ford or Chevy Van?

This is a discussion on Ford or Chevy Van? within the Non-Offensive forums, part of the Off Topic category!
I might have to purchase a new van for my business. I have always bought ford vans but looked at ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2009, 05:52 PM
VIPER POWERED

Member #55
Ford or Chevy Van?

I might have to purchase a new van for my business. I have always bought ford vans but looked at the chevy cargo express yesterday and thought it looked quite nice. It also comes with a 5 year 100k mile warranty.

I have had two ford e 350 cube vans over the past 20 years. I am thinking about downsizing to a regular cargo van 250 or 350 size. Obviously the 350 carries more weight. Anybody have any opinions on the chevy vans? I know the limitations of the ford vans. AC units seem to always break right about when the warranty runs out. On Maui I gotta have ac, its not optional IMO.

Any input would be appreciated. My local ford dealer has a half dozen 2008 models left over that they would be willing to deal on. Chevy dealer has 3 2500 cargo express models available.

Is it possible to upgrade the springs/shocks on a 250 model so it can carry more weight? Or if I am gonna be loading the van at/near its max capacity should I just spend the extra $ now and get the 350 model?

Dodge dealer on Maui is done. So a dodge sprinter van is not an option.

thanks guys

patrick

#2370 of 3057

4.88's, Caltracs, DC Stage II, 170`T Stat, X METAL...1~2 Drop-Shifter-Midpipes-Throttle Body, Centerforce, Fidanza Flywheel, Viper Master/Slave, K&N CAI, Magnaflow

13.53 @ 104

06 Satin Silver Mustang GT- Auto, Roush M90

12.23 @ 113

Old 06-07-2009, 06:43 PM
VIPER POWERED

Member #44
Quote:
Originally Posted by mauiSRT/10
I might have to purchase a new van for my business. I have always bought ford vans but looked at the chevy cargo express yesterday and thought it looked quite nice. It also comes with a 5 year 100k mile warranty.

I have had two ford e 350 cube vans over the past 20 years. I am thinking about downsizing to a regular cargo van 250 or 350 size. Obviously the 350 carries more weight. Anybody have any opinions on the chevy vans? I know the limitations of the ford vans. AC units seem to always break right about when the warranty runs out. On Maui I gotta have ac, its not optional IMO.

Any input would be appreciated. My local ford dealer has a half dozen 2008 models left over that they would be willing to deal on. Chevy dealer has 3 2500 cargo express models available.

Is it possible to upgrade the springs/shocks on a 250 model so it can carry more weight? Or if I am gonna be loading the van at/near its max capacity should I just spend the extra $ now and get the 350 model?

Dodge dealer on Maui is done. So a dodge sprinter van is not an option.

thanks guys

patrick
Patrick, I bought a 2500 Express a year ago and love it. You can put overloads etc on it to carry a little more weight, but a 3500 is more than just a little bigger springs. If you think you're going to exceed the capability of a 3/4 ton, step up to a 1 ton...IMHO.

We're finally getting our websites updated (thanks to ViperJeff) come check us out as we go GLOBAL!!!

NWA Sign Shop Web Site

NWA Sign Shop Online Store

SLH Motorsports Web Site

SLH Motorsports eBay Store

Rudeness Disclaimer: I do hereby apologize in advance for any and all posts that may be offensive to some. Chances are I'm either drunk, or working on it.
Old 06-07-2009, 07:12 PM
VIPER POWERED

Member #9
Remember that load ratings are based on axle and bearing loads, not the springs.

You can add stiffer springs to a 1500 and carry 3 tons, but the axles will fail.

And generally the brakes will be larger.

Generally your maintenance costs will be less by under loading a 3500, than over loading a 2500.
2005 Yellow Fever RC. #130 of 500. SOLD 1965 Superformance Cobra. 2007 Jeep SRT/8, Black
"A Proud Member of the Old Guard."
Old 06-07-2009, 09:30 PM
VIPER POWERED

Member #93
Sucks you can't get a Sprinter.... People I know that have them, love them... mostly because you can stand up in them.

What engine options are you looking at? .... If you can get the Chevy with a Duramax/Allison, that would be the way to go IMO.
Rest in peace, Clint (FLChub)... I won't forget.
PROUD CLASSICAL LIBERAL!!!
Old 06-07-2009, 09:40 PM

Member #869
I have had both the Ford and now a Chevy 2500 express access van. The chevy does not bump steer as bad as the ford does. The ride is much smoother and I have had no issues with the chevy. The ford is another story.
Attached Thumbnails
cmnew_12.jpg  

Mods: Permastar rims. billet center caps, Volant intake,Fastman Throttle body. Smaller crank pulley, Demon coils, SCT programmer, 2400 Stall Torque converter, Shift kit, Line lock, Jet hot coated Mopar headers, 3" exhaust, Magna flow, EBC rotors on all four, Amsoil, Cal Trac traction bars.

Mods waiting to be on: Aluminium one piece drive shaft, Drive shaft loop, Viper electric fan, braided brake lines & oil lines.
Old 06-07-2009, 10:00 PM
VIPER POWERED

Member #3636
If not a dodge sprinter, go with the Chevy..
BLACK 2005 SRT-10 QC Born into this world 10/11/2004 at 12:00hr
Power Slider Rear Window from Cherry Performance, 2" Shackles and Fire & Ice light bar from STINKER, SCT tuner from MSDNGA, tinted tail lights, headlights & fog lights W/tinted covers
Old 06-08-2009, 05:57 AM

Member #107
Send a message via MSN to kalani
do u guys get the VW transporter?

http://www.volkswagen.com.au/vwcms/m...ansporter.html

I just bought a VW Tiguan 2.0 diesel for the missus, getting 1200k's per tank for $60. Diesel is $1.10 per litre. Its bloody great.

THe transporter and crafter are popular down here alongside the mercedes sprinter.

Ive always been a mopar only buyer but the VW quality and diesel engines are great..

TOTM Dec 06 - almost TOTY!
2005 RC 471/500 YF Edition
98 Viper GTS

Lots of Mopars!!
Old 06-08-2009, 01:14 PM
VIPER POWERED

Member #55
Diesel fuel is hyperxpensive here. Always is way more than premium. I think its $4.50 or something a gallon. So there wont be any diesels in my future.

Thanks for all the input guys, I do appreciate it.

patrick

#2370 of 3057

4.88's, Caltracs, DC Stage II, 170`T Stat, X METAL...1~2 Drop-Shifter-Midpipes-Throttle Body, Centerforce, Fidanza Flywheel, Viper Master/Slave, K&N CAI, Magnaflow

13.53 @ 104

06 Satin Silver Mustang GT- Auto, Roush M90

12.23 @ 113

Old 06-09-2009, 06:14 AM

Member #107
Send a message via MSN to kalani
shit!! diesel is the cheap shit here!!

TOTM Dec 06 - almost TOTY!
2005 RC 471/500 YF Edition
98 Viper GTS

Lots of Mopars!!
Old 06-09-2009, 10:40 AM
VIPER POWERED

Member #10497
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalani
shit!! diesel is the cheap shit here!!
Same here diesel is like $.15 cheaper....
as far as the van I'd go with the Ford, I've had several of them and like you said the only real issue I had was A/C leaking....it was like my right hand man, it would do whatever I'd throw at it.....I'd load pallets of crap in the Ford and do a 600 mile round trip afew times a week for years and it never left me stranded 1 time, and for that reason there I'll always like Ford! On the other hand I rented a Sh*tvy uhaul a little less than a yr old and it needed road side assistance unloaded too Theres a reason Ford is still in business

SOLD
SCT Tune, Cat delete, K&N, Magnaflow cat-back, 2" drop, HID, SRT-10/Viper head Smoked Brake Lights(Carl ccfeyh) Kenwood Radio, Infinity Kappa perfect speakers on JL Audio e4300 amp, JL Audio 10"W3 on JL 250/1 amp