Go Back   Dodge Ram SRT-10 Forum - Viper Truck Club of America > Off Topic > Non-Offensive
Home Forum Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Garage Mark Forums Read

Non-Offensive

Got a question about Holley Carbs...Can anybody help??

This is a discussion on Got a question about Holley Carbs...Can anybody help?? within the Non-Offensive forums, part of the Off Topic category!
I've got a 650 Holley Double Pumper on my Dart 318CI Magnum Engine. It is a model 4165 with the ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2010, 09:59 AM
Southeast VTCoA Regional Member

Member #10508
Got a question about Holley Carbs...Can anybody help??

I've got a 650 Holley Double Pumper on my Dart 318CI Magnum Engine. It is a model 4165 with the large rear barrels. I'm having trouble with the carburetor being too rich. I recently removed the mechanical fuel pump to convert the engine to serpentine belt. In doing so, I had to add an electric fuel pump and had about 8-9 psi at the carb. Yesterday, I added a regulator and lowered the pressure to 6 psi. The lower pressure didn't seem to help at all. I've already checked float bowls and reset float adjustment and I'm just baffled. Can anybody tell me the best recommended pressure for this carb?
BTW, the needle valves and seats are new and are clean. I put 2 new filters on the car when I added the pump.

2004 SRT 10 Red RC
#2402 out of 3057, Built 6/4/2004
K&N Drop Inn Filter/Dynomax Cat Back
Old 03-18-2010, 10:07 AM

Member #148
I had a holley once,brilliant and easy to work on,if it's running rich have you tried putting smaller jets in?
Old 03-18-2010, 10:41 AM

Member #10508
Ran fine on the same engine before I added the electric pump and serpentine conversion. At first I had a bad voltage regulator which put too many volts to the pump and added pressure. I think I need to open the carb again and inspect the float levels.

2004 SRT 10 Red RC
Old 03-18-2010, 12:28 PM

Member #10649
Do you have jets in the front and rear bowls? Can't remember if your model does or not, if not, you might want to add a metering plate to the secondaries and then jet them properly. Holleys can be quite a pain until you get them tuned just right. 5-6 psi is pretty normal for a carburetor setup.

VTR-2005-0021
Born on 9/25/2004 @ 9:00
Volant Cool Air Box, Borla cat-back exhaust, SCT Tuner w/89/91/93 tunes, B&M shifter w/chrome B&M T handle, Viper master/slave cylinder upg, Clarion NZ500 w/Sirius, Anzo halo projector headlights & LED tailights& LED third brake light, Optima Yellow Top, Leer 700 tonneau cover, Bedrug, EZ down tailgate, JTS Lifetime oil cooler lines, chrome hood scoop insert
Old 03-18-2010, 12:29 PM
VIPER POWERED

Member #1767
Check float Levels and be sure that the needle and seat are actually good---New, does not mean it's ok.....Is it bleeding fuel when you look down the bores?????

Black 05 QC 11/05/04 13th hour

Mods: K&N Cai, SCT tuner, 170 thermostat, Sun Coast modified valve body W/Transgo shift kit (Sun Coast Transmissions), Lowering shackles(Stinkers), Sneaky Pete valve caps( Stinker), Born date plaque(texasyellowfever) ,Viper fang streering wheel badge (Texasyellowfever), BBK Throttle body( Cherry preformance), lifetime oil lines(Stinker), Shaved badges and some sort of 36" glass pack mufflers.
Old 03-18-2010, 12:45 PM
VIPER POWERED

Member #2
Send a message via AIM to FSTJACK
The 4165 is a spread bore replacement.
This is not one of Holleys best versions of a carburetor.

Check the power valve and float levels.
With the float bowels off, and the bowels inverted, the top of the float should be level with the top of the float bowl.

Also use nothing but a genuine Holley brand carburetor kit, or parts when working on this model of carburetor. (This applies to almost all Holley carbs, Barry Grant, ProForm and a few are also good replacement parts for Holley brand parts). (Stay away from carb kits that come in a white cardboard tray when working on Hollys).

I would keep fuel pressure in the 4-5LB range.

Did you replace the fuel filter?
Did you run fuel through the new fuel system to flush dirt and contaminats out of the pump, lines, fittings ect into a catch can?
The needle and seats on the primary and secondary side are usually different.
A common mistake is mixing the jets between the primary and secondary sides.

If none of this helps hold it up to the phone so i can look at it........
04 Ram SRT-10 #593, Silver, Under construction, TT TH4oo W/Brake, 4 Link, Caged Certified to 8.50. Coming to a dragstrip near you, not very soon..........
04 Ram SRT-10 Red..... Blown F2 Procharger, Sprayed x 2, McLeod Twin, Locker, Hoosiers, Bogarts. 536 CI. all bore, Crower, JE, Jeff Morey heads, billet mains, main cap girdle, Daley external oil pump, Exotic Engine Design Built. Pectel ECU, might get me into the high 12's........
69 Chevell B/Gsupercharged, Injected, certified to 7.50
Old 03-18-2010, 12:47 PM

Member #10508
Yes and no on the bleeding. The front bores do appear wet sometimes. I am having trouble with the secondaries closing properly so they are part of the problem. I think I'll take the carb off tonight and tear it back down. I want to inspect and tweak everything before I do anything else.

I wish my carb had the external float adjustments.

2004 SRT 10 Red RC
Old 03-18-2010, 12:50 PM
VIPER POWERED

Member #2
Check your throttle base to main body gasket, there are several permutations and it is common for folks that don't do a lot of carb work to use an incorrect gasket which I have seen cause similar problems to what you are having.

The transition and transfer slot openings don't line up correctly.
04 Ram SRT-10 #593, Silver, Under construction, TT TH4oo W/Brake, 4 Link, Caged Certified to 8.50. Coming to a dragstrip near you, not very soon..........
04 Ram SRT-10 Red..... Blown F2 Procharger, Sprayed x 2, McLeod Twin, Locker, Hoosiers, Bogarts. 536 CI. all bore, Crower, JE, Jeff Morey heads, billet mains, main cap girdle, Daley external oil pump, Exotic Engine Design Built. Pectel ECU, might get me into the high 12's........
Old 03-18-2010, 12:54 PM

Member #10508
Quote:
Originally Posted by FSTJACK
The 4165 is a spread bore replacement.
This is not one of Holleys best versions of a carburetor.

Check the power valve and float levels.
With the float bowels off, and the bowels inverted, the top of the float should be level with the top of the float bowl.

Also use nothing but a genuine Holley brand carburetor kit, or parts when working on this model of carburetor. (This applies to almost all Holley carbs, Barry Grant, ProForm and a few are also good replacement parts for Holley brand parts). (Stay away from carb kits that come in a white cardboard tray when working on Hollys).

I would keep fuel pressure in the 4-5LB range.

Did you replace the fuel filter?
Did you run fuel through the new fuel system to flush dirt and contaminats out of the pump, lines, fittings ect into a catch can?
The needle and seats on the primary and secondary side are usually different.
A common mistake is mixing the jets between the primary and secondary sides.

If none of this helps hold it up to the phone so i can look at it........
I rebuilt the carb last winter with all Holley parts. I just installed 2 new filters. The float bowls are level when held upside down.
I did not purge the fuel lines but will for sure when I take it back off.
I actually had the primary bowl back off a couple days ago checking the float and it was clean and the needle valve/seat worked fine.
Thanks for the fuel pressure information. According to what I've read, Holleys can hold up to 8psi but that seems high for a carb.

2004 SRT 10 Red RC
Old 03-18-2010, 01:00 PM
VIPER POWERED

Member #2
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennygene
I rebuilt the carb last winter with all Holley parts. I just installed 2 new filters. The float bowls are level when held upside down.
I did not purge the fuel lines but will for sure when I take it back off.
I actually had the primary bowl back off a couple days ago checking the float and it was clean and the needle valve/seat worked fine.
Thanks for the fuel pressure information. According to what I've read, Holleys can hold up to 8psi but that seems high for a carb.

With the side hung floats on a 4165 they seem to like lower fuel pressure.

I owned a carb and fuel injection shop for most of my career, so I worked on a lot of different carbs and types of injection(mechanical and electric).
After a time if you pay attention you see things that vary from the book in the real world.

I loved what I did and most days had a big smile on my face when going to the shop to open in the morning.

I'm retired and really miss it...