Go Back   Dodge Ram SRT-10 Forum - Viper Truck Club of America > Off Topic > Non-Offensive
Home Forum Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Garage Mark Forums Read

Non-Offensive

And Now an Important Message on Cruise Control

This is a discussion on And Now an Important Message on Cruise Control within the Non-Offensive forums, part of the Off Topic category!
NEVER KNEW THIS BEFORE... I wonder how many people know about this. A 36 year old female had an accident ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2006, 07:07 PM
VIPER POWERED
Southwest VTCoA Regional Member

Member #14
Send a message via AIM to Venom Power Send a message via Yahoo to Venom Power
And Now an Important Message on Cruise Control

NEVER KNEW THIS BEFORE...

I wonder how many people know about this. A 36 year old female had an accident several weeks ago and totaled her car. A resident of Kilgore , Texas , she was traveling between Gladewater & Kilgore. It was raining, though not excessively, when her car suddenly began to hydro-plane and literally flew through the air. She was not seriously injured but very stunned at the sudden occurrence!

When she explained to the highway patrolman what had happened he told her something that every driver should know - NEVER DRIVE IN THE RAIN WITH YOUR CRUISE CONTROL ON. She had thought she was being cautious by setting the cruise control and maintaining a safe consistent speed in the rain.

But the highway patrolman told her that if the cruise control is on and your car begins to hydro-plane -- when your tires lose contact with the pavement, your car will accelerate to a higher rate of speed and you take off like an airplane. She told the patrolman that was exactly what had occurred.

The patrolman said this warning should be listed on the driver's seat sun-visor - NEVER USE THE CRUISE CONTROL WHEN THE PAVEMENT IS WET OR ICY, along with the airbag warning. Only use the cruise control when the pavement is dry.

The only person the accident victim found, who knew this (besides the patrolman), was a man who had a similar accident, totaled his car and sustained severe injuries.

NOTE: Some vehicles when the windshield wipers are on, you can not set the cruise control. The Toyota Sienna Limited XLE is one of them.

'04 SRT10 PS2 Silver #1900 (4-29-04) OCT 2008 Truck of the Month
'07 SRT-8 300C Phantom Black (unmolested)
'12 Nissan Armada Jet Black on Black (family ride)
'15 392 SRT Challenger 6 spd, Pitch Black w Gun Metal Stripes
Old 11-07-2006, 07:11 PM
Administrator

Member #29
WOW

had absolutely no idea, but I never use the cruise control in bad weather for common sense reasons.

Thanks for the PSA

Jeff
Old 11-07-2006, 07:13 PM
VIPER POWERED

Member #1
common sence went right out the windows...

Vipers of the world . com
Old 11-07-2006, 07:15 PM
VIPER POWERED

Member #40
I never use cruise control, except on my bike on long hauls.

"If I can't be a good example then I'll just have to serve as a horrible warning."
Old 11-07-2006, 08:20 PM
VIPER POWERED

Member #9
While that is not 100% true (the vehicle will not accelerate) you should never use the cruise control in heavy rain, ice or snowy conditions.
2005 Yellow Fever RC. #130 of 500. SOLD 1965 Superformance Cobra. 2007 Jeep SRT/8, Black
"A Proud Member of the Old Guard."
Old 11-07-2006, 08:22 PM
VIPER POWERED

Member #40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverback
While that is not 100% true (the vehicle will not accelerate) you should never use the cruise control in heavy rain, ice or snowy conditions.
I see no way that the vehicle could accelerate, in fact I see just the opposite happening if anything. If you were to lose traction to the drive wheels and they started to spin, the vehicle would think that you are going faster than you actually were and would reduce throttle. At least that is the way I figure it.

"If I can't be a good example then I'll just have to serve as a horrible warning."
Old 11-07-2006, 08:54 PM
VIPER POWERED

Member #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by OCBob
I see no way that the vehicle could accelerate, in fact I see just the opposite happening if anything. If you were to lose traction to the drive wheels and they started to spin, the vehicle would think that you are going faster than you actually were and would reduce throttle. At least that is the way I figure it.
What happens is that as soon as the tires loose traction they spin up very quickly before the cruise control can compensate. While the speedometer may show a speed gain, the vehicle is not going any faster.

Make sense????

I should have elaborated on that in my first post. Sorry.
2005 Yellow Fever RC. #130 of 500. SOLD 1965 Superformance Cobra. 2007 Jeep SRT/8, Black
"A Proud Member of the Old Guard."
Old 11-07-2006, 09:34 PM
Almost Senior Member

Member #658
We get this every Winter in the same spot on highway #2. It seems every year some idiot is out driving in the middle of Winter on the second busiest highway in Canada with their cruise control on and then when they hit the hill by Ponaka (which has a very gradual slope) they end up in the ditch and most times take someone with them.

Ice has the same effect as Rain but it doesn't take as much. You can have a nice Sunny day but when it freezes that night you'll have some Black Ice to contend with!

Misc - Focal Utopia No. 07 Speakers & 2 Focal 11" 27 KX Subs
Tuned By Chris Jensen, [email protected].
Old 11-07-2006, 09:39 PM
VIPER POWERED

Member #40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deibs
We get this every Winter in the same spot on highway #2. It seems every year some idiot is out driving in the middle of Winter on the second busiest highway in Canada with their cruise control on and then when they hit the hill by Ponaka (which has a very gradual slope) they end up in the ditch and most times take someone with them.

Ice has the same effect as Rain but it doesn't take as much. You can have a nice Sunny day but when it freezes that night you'll have some Black Ice to contend with!
Oh yeah, nothing like black ice, especially on a bike! I remember my first trip to Daytona, back in......well, let's just say a while ago hehe. I was living in Jersey at the time, and it was a mighty cold ride when we left at 2 am. But the weather in Daytona could not have been better. Anyway, on the way back we hit cold weather as far south as Georgia. About an hour from home I hit a patch of that shit, that sent me for a hell of a ride. Messed up the bike pretty good, but I came out of it ok. Took me a while to figure out what the hell happened though, it just didn't make any sense that the scooter took off in the opposite direction of me like that LOL.

I can imagine black ice would play hell with these trucks too, especially the way most of us here drive them hehe.

By the way Deibs, you need to stop playing Tetris for a while. I can't get a tenth of the points you do hehehe.

Old 11-07-2006, 09:49 PM
VIPER POWERED
West VTCoA Regional Member

Member #92
"Very interesting....................." (Arte Johnson)

SD

"Tact: the ability to tell a man to "go to Hell" and make him feel happy to be on his way."