Go Back   Dodge Ram SRT-10 Forum - Viper Truck Club of America > Off Topic > Non-Offensive
Home Forum Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Garage Mark Forums Read

Non-Offensive

Will it run? Tulsa to dig up car buried for 50 years

This is a discussion on Will it run? Tulsa to dig up car buried for 50 years within the Non-Offensive forums, part of the Off Topic category!
Organizers of a coming-out party for a buried 1957 Plymouth Belvedere could use some help. The car, which was buried ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2007, 01:24 PM
VIPER POWERED

Member #40
Will it run? Tulsa to dig up car buried for 50 years

Organizers of a coming-out party for a buried 1957 Plymouth Belvedere could use some help.

The car, which was buried in brand-new condition under the lawn of the Tulsa County Courthouse in 1957, is scheduled to be unearthed June 15 as part of the Oklahoma Centennial.

Promoters are looking for people who helped lower the car into its crypt in 1957 to perhaps shed some light on what to expect when the car is unearthed.

There's speculation the car may have turned into a pile of rust. Or that it's in pristine condition and worth thousands of dollars.

Sharon King Davis, who has chaired Tulsa's centennial efforts, looked at photos of the people responsible for burying the car in 1957 and found her grandfather.

"I wish grandpa had left me some instructions," she told the Tulsa World.

The car had been largely forgotten until Davis and her group started work on the centennial. Files on the car have vanished, so it's not clear what to expect when the lid is lifted.

What's known is that the car is on a steel pallet with jacks under the axles. Efforts were made to preserve it, but it's unclear if moisture has gotten to the metal and caused rust.

"There's a kind of Rip Van Winkle reaction," Davis says. "Most people had long ago forgotten the buried car, but as the time to dig it up nears, they are waking up and wondering about life in 1957."

Another unknown is who will be able to claim the car.

When the car was buried, a contest was announced to award the car and a $100 savings account to the person who came closest to guessing Tulsa's population in 2007.

Organizers concede that finding that person or his or her heirs may not be easy.

At the time, the guesses were recorded on microfilm and sealed in a steel container buried with the car.

"If I can't be a good example then I'll just have to serve as a horrible warning."
Old 01-23-2007, 01:34 PM
VIPER POWERED

Member #553
Send a message via AIM to ntw0rk
Wow!!

That's really cool!!

Can't wait to see what condition it is in!

Can you imagine getting this phone call? "Sir/Ma'am, I am from the Tulsa Centennial Committee, and you have just won a 1957 Belvedere and a $100 savings account, because your [relative] Was the closest to guessing our population!"

You would think it was a joke!!
"$100!? That won't even pay the insurance on the car! This has to be a joke!" !!!

"I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." C.S. Lewis

Old 01-23-2007, 01:44 PM
VIPER POWERED

Member #40
It would be cool to win. I was wondering if it is a new account for $100 or one they opened in 57. If that were the case there would be a bit more there.

"If I can't be a good example then I'll just have to serve as a horrible warning."
Old 01-23-2007, 01:46 PM
VIPER POWERED
Southeast VTCoA Regional Member

Member #215
if the money were in a savings account how much interest has it acumlated over 50 years?
red qc born may 25,2005 11th hour. bedrug. billet seat levers. billet door pins. billet gas door cover. viper hitch cover. billet flame third brake light cover. egr headlight covers. Jmb cai.Jmb hard radiator pipes.Jmb t-stat housing.Jmb catch can.465 rwhp an 510 rwtq on 55 shot of nos
Old 01-23-2007, 01:50 PM
VIPER POWERED

Member #553
Most savings accounts don't earn much, maybe 2 - 3%.

I'm not a mathemetician, and I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, but I would say that it wouldn't be as much as most would assume.

"I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." C.S. Lewis

Old 01-23-2007, 01:52 PM
VIPER POWERED

Member #215
i thought that you always stayed at the holiday inn repressed...............
red qc born may 25,2005 11th hour. bedrug. billet seat levers. billet door pins. billet gas door cover. viper hitch cover. billet flame third brake light cover. egr headlight covers. Jmb cai.Jmb hard radiator pipes.Jmb t-stat housing.Jmb catch can.465 rwhp an 510 rwtq on 55 shot of nos
Old 01-23-2007, 01:56 PM
VIPER POWERED

Member #553
No, no, no...What I said was.... Staying at the Holiday Inn gets me depressed!

Old 01-23-2007, 01:58 PM
VIPER POWERED

Member #215
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntw0rk
No, no, no...What I said was.... Staying at the Holiday Inn gets me depressed!

thanks for clearing that up.
Old 01-23-2007, 06:15 PM
VIPER POWERED

Member #66
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntw0rk
Most savings accounts don't earn much, maybe 2 - 3%.
ING Direct = 4.5% I've had an account with them for a few years now.

I'd love to see pics or video when they Un-earth that car!
Old 01-23-2007, 06:24 PM
VIPER POWERED

Member #9
My guess is it will be rusted.
2005 Yellow Fever RC. #130 of 500. SOLD 1965 Superformance Cobra. 2007 Jeep SRT/8, Black
"A Proud Member of the Old Guard."