Go Back   Dodge Ram SRT-10 Forum - Viper Truck Club of America > Main Forum > New Members Section
Home Forum Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Garage Mark Forums Read

New Members Section

New to forum

This is a discussion on New to forum within the New Members Section forums, part of the Main Forum category!
Hey y'all I've had my silver 05 qc for about a year. Just found this forum the other day. Love ...

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2018, 10:18 PM
You got a Hemi?

Member #18276
New to forum

Hey y'all I've had my silver 05 qc for about a year. Just found this forum the other day. Love the truck...just have some questions about it every other day or so...for instance where is my oil going? No leaks...running about 180-205 coolant temp, 180 -200 oil temp. Good pressure. Basicly dry on dipstick. Any ideas?

Old 01-27-2018, 01:08 AM

Member #18271
Maybe look underneath it and see if oil is leaking from the back of the valve cover gaskets then burning off on exhaust pipes. Your gonna burn a quart of oil every 2000 miles in normal driving conditions. Mopar V10s and V8 hemis all burn a little oil. How much oil are you loosing? I'm a newb to the srt10 community someone here will chime in sooner or later.

Oil cooler lines?
Old 01-27-2018, 09:37 AM
Has Left the Room - Banned from VTCOA!
Southwest VTCoA Regional Member
Southwest VTCoA Regional Rep
2013 Viper Truck of The Month

Member #10675
Our oil cooler lines are prone to leaking yet weaping and getting blown all over underside and yet never drip to floor. Make sure it's always registering on dipstick!! Mopar filter and 15/50 Mobil 1.

Last edited by ViperJeff; 01-27-2018 at 01:13 PM. Reason: Not a Vendor
Old 01-27-2018, 09:43 AM
You got a Hemi?

Member #18276
It calls for 0-40, do you use different?.and I'll check the valve covers. I appreciate the info.
Old 01-27-2018, 11:37 AM
Almost Senior Member

Member #15071
Could be a broken valve guide.
Old 01-27-2018, 12:35 PM
You got a Hemi?

Member #18276
How would I go about checking that?
Old 01-27-2018, 01:36 PM
Almost Senior Member

Member #15071
Pull the intake pull the heads remove valves and check the guides. Mine was doing this awhile back and had a broken valve guide
silverqc87 likes this.
Old 01-27-2018, 01:55 PM
Almost Senior Member

Member #15071
I would double check the block first make sure its not leaking somewhere else
silverqc87 likes this.
Old 01-27-2018, 06:27 PM
You got a Hemi?

Member #18276
I went ahead and did an oil change and it has been sitting for 6 months but I only pulled maybe 6.5 quarts out and filled back with 9. Cleaned the engine and will check for leaks over the next couple of days. I appreciate you guys input. I'll update once I figure it out.
Old 01-28-2018, 09:46 AM
Almost Senior Member
Southwest VTCoA Regional Member

Member #11268
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToneDef View Post
Maybe look underneath it and see if oil is leaking from the back of the valve cover gaskets then burning off on exhaust pipes. Your gonna burn a quart of oil every 2000 miles in normal driving conditions. Mopar V10s and V8 hemis all burn a little oil. How much oil are you loosing? I'm a newb to the srt10 community someone here will chime in sooner or later.

Oil cooler lines?
IF you were burning oil anywhere around the engine, you would smell it. It is NOT normal for our V10's to burn oil. Disregard the quart every 2000 miles comment. Mine has not burned any oil in 8 years of ownership.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverqc87 View Post
It calls for 0-40, do you use different?.and I'll check the valve covers. I appreciate the info.
Yes, use the 0W40 Mobil1 "FS" European Car formula. Rated top 5 for wear protection. If anything, it's still a bit on the thick side. The link below is a LONG read. However, no MYTH's, just facts. Your view oil oils and oiling will be affected dramatically. See here...

https://540ratblog.wordpress.com/201...-test-ranking/

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronAffliction View Post
Could be a broken valve guide.
Lets just say that the broken valve guide is possible, you would have oil burning at start up. Smoke out of exhaust at start up? Synthetics tend not to smoke blue. Try a high quality dino oil. Let it sit overnight and see if it smokes on next start.

I'd look at the crankcase breather system. Our trucks do not have an oil separator. Crankcase fumes and pressure get sucked into the intake. A simple check would be to pull your throttle body and see how oily your intake manifold is. If you do not find an external leak or drip, I'd bet you have serious blow by and your engine is choking it down. Another reason the OEM runs these engines over rich. To counter act the low octane oil fumes.

Good Luck! Cheers
silverqc87 likes this.
2005 Black RC Born on April, 22nd., 16th hour of 2005: BBK, JTSVP Gen II Shifter, JTSVP Under Drive Pulley, K&N Drop-In, Demon Coils, B&B Manifold Back Exhaust w/ Hi flow Cats, SCT Tuned by Torrie, RX Monster Catch Can, JMB QA1 "kicker" shock, Polyurethane Suspension / Sway bar Bushings, AEM Wideband, Raptor Shift Light, Dynamat Interior, JTSVP Oil Cooler lines, 70/30 DiH2O/Dexcool Mix w/ Water Wetter, ALL fluids Synthetic and a few "sneaky" aero mods

2000 ZX1270R, 200 H.P. / 111 Ft. Lbs.