Go Back   Dodge Ram SRT-10 Forum - Viper Truck Club of America > Off Topic > Other Vehicles
Home Forum Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Garage Mark Forums Read

Other Vehicles

Car audio advise please

This is a discussion on Car audio advise please within the Other Vehicles forums, part of the Off Topic category!
OK the wife has an 82 Cutlass for a toy, we built a 455 for it a couple of years ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2011, 01:12 PM
Almost Senior Member
Midwest VTCoA Regional Member

Member #42
Car audio advise please

OK the wife has an 82 Cutlass for a toy, we built a 455 for it a couple of years ago. Well now it is time to redo the interior that has seen better days. At the same time we want to update the audio in it. Stock it has two 3.5" fronts and two 4x10's in the back, not a whole lot of room for impovements for the stock speakers. Now I really don't know much about car audio, more into home audio, so I am here looking for advise. I tried some G-Body forums but I have to say that alot of that crowd doesn't really do maybe the best moods, they are a little too buget minded, alot of hacked up looking stuff. So I am here.

My plan is to get these kick panels pictured below. They will take up to a 6-1/2" driver and a 2" tweeter. We could also put something in the stock 3.5" location in the front if it would do any good.

In the back they make an adapter to hook a 6x9 to the stock 4x10 location, but I don't know how good of an idea that is to funel a bigger speaker through a small hole. My other thought for the back is I could do something like a 6" drive in the rear sail panels. Only issue I see with that is it would be right in the ear of people sitting in the back.

So I am looking for idea and recomendations, don't want to spend $1000's on this, just something that sounds good. Not looking for SPL records or anything.

2008 3500 Mega Cab Dually, Resistal Edition
Old 04-04-2011, 03:06 PM
Southeast VTCoA Regional Member

Member #12129
I would see if a local shop could fiberglass a set of kicks for you. The old Q Logic kick panels were made of plastic and around 200 dollars. A local shop might actually vinyl coat a set of fiberglass ones for that price.

Personally I'm not a fan of rear fill speakers. I would put something small back there if you want it. Maybe a set of 4" speakers to fill the gap and give you a little more sound. Other than that I wouldn't go over board. Spend the money on the front speakers and possibly an amp to power them. A 50x2 cheap amp should give you the biggest boost on sound quality! Buy a cheap Rockford Fosgate, Kicker, Xtant, 50x2 amp and enjoy the sound up front.
Woo Pig Sooie

http://www.vipertruckregistry.com/sc....VTR-0145.ashx
Old 04-04-2011, 03:28 PM
Almost Senior Member
Midwest VTCoA Regional Member

Member #42
Thanks for the thoughts. Their are some 4x10 still made out their I can get for the back so I could stick a stock size in their. Really their isn't much around here for custom shops, so I am looking for the easiest way out of it. You are correct that they are about $200 for the panels, and that is plently for a couple of pieces of plastic.

2008 3500 Mega Cab Dually, Resistal Edition