Go Back   Dodge Ram SRT-10 Forum - Viper Truck Club of America > Off Topic > Other Vehicles
Home Forum Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Garage Mark Forums Read

Other Vehicles

Jeep 5.2L T-Stat

This is a discussion on Jeep 5.2L T-Stat within the Other Vehicles forums, part of the Off Topic category!
Looking for a second opinion. Replaced my 1995 jeep water pump, radiator, t-stat, and hoses this weekend. I didn't look ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2014, 03:35 PM
Southeast VTCoA Regional Member

Member #13686
Jeep 5.2L T-Stat

Looking for a second opinion. Replaced my 1995 jeep water pump, radiator, t-stat, and hoses this weekend. I didn't look closely prior to install, but NAPA thinks 180F thermostat is "OEM Temperature", where really it is supposed to be 195. I installed the 180, and it is running cool for sure. So, what is the problem running cooler? Engine could try to richen the mixture, therefore consuming more fuel. It has been in 2 days, and is a pain in the a** to get to (have to remove alternator, a/c compressor and main accessory bracket. Gut says replace it to OEM temperature. Thoughts?

Build Number #0590, 10/15/2004, VTR-0680

Changes from stock (for my benefit, not yours):
K&N 57-Series CAI, Magnaflow Exhaust, **Owner Swap**, JTSVP 1.75" leveling blocks, OEM aluminum tonneau cover w/ 3 post wing, JTSVP underdrive pulley, hydraulic oil cooler lines.
Old 02-25-2014, 04:41 PM
Has Left the Room - Banned from VTCOA!
Southwest VTCoA Regional Member
Southwest VTCoA Regional Rep
2013 Viper Truck of The Month

Member #10675
I prefer mine to run cooler and have done so for 25 years on everything from 4cyl, 6cyl, 8cyl and obviously my 10. My reasons are plentiful and here are a few.
1. Cooler engine performs better whether carbuerated or FI. There are many maps in the PCM that are based off temperature and intake air/ambient air temps. Timing is taken away the hotter these get.

2. Condenser heating due to radiator placement. The cooler we have the radiator/condenser, the cooler your A/C

3. Oil breakdown is more prominent the higher the temps. I like my oil temps to be around my coolant temp of 185. Your cooling system setup efficiency is directly correlated to your oil temps and degradation.

4. Electrical wiring and components! They hate heat and will turn looming and wiring brittle and cause nightmares chasing glitches later down the road. The cooler the engine, the longer the these wires stay soft and bendable.

5. Quicker cool downs between laps racing (for us that race)
Makes a works if difference cooling down from 210 versus 185. That's 25* cooler. The closer you are to the boiling point of your water (212*)in the system the longer it takes to cool from that point.

Now the couple drawbacks....

1. In the winter your heat will not be as hot. Now is it got enough to warm your ass, yes! Plenty warm enough, but not as hot as stock.

2. To remove condensation naturally occurring in the engine, you'll have to drive longer. In other words if you have a short 5 minute commute to work and home and rarely go anywhere else, you'll not burn off the condensation as fast. If you change your oil regularly this is no issue but you'd still be better off running around 200* in this instance.

In a nutshell,
Old 02-25-2014, 04:56 PM
Southeast VTCoA Regional Member

Member #13686
Thanks V1R. The jeep is definitely not a racer, lol. The main thing you said that peaked my interest was "short commutes" and condensation. That's this vehicle in a nutshell. Got it to drive to work in the winter snow, and on the gravel parking lot (neither are "10" friendly). Probably going back to stock temperature, and quick, before my gasket is permanently cooked on again.
Build Number #0590, 10/15/2004, VTR-0680

Changes from stock (for my benefit, not yours):
K&N 57-Series CAI, Magnaflow Exhaust, **Owner Swap**, JTSVP 1.75" leveling blocks, OEM aluminum tonneau cover w/ 3 post wing, JTSVP underdrive pulley, hydraulic oil cooler lines.
Old 02-25-2014, 05:11 PM
Has Left the Room - Banned from VTCOA!
Southwest VTCoA Regional Member
Southwest VTCoA Regional Rep
2013 Viper Truck of The Month

Member #10675
Quote:
Originally Posted by StinkyLinky View Post
Thanks V1R. The jeep is definitely not a racer, lol. The main thing you said that peaked my interest was "short commutes" and condensation. That's this vehicle in a nutshell. Got it to drive to work in the winter snow, and on the gravel parking lot (neither are "10" friendly). Probably going back to stock temperature, and quick, before my gasket is permanently cooked on again.
No prob bud. I honestly think you're great with a 185 to split the difference in all the above mentioned benefits. If you threw a 160/170 in there id say change it. Personally I'd leave it be.
Old 02-25-2014, 07:30 PM
Twin Turbo, Forged
Canadian VTCoA Regional Member

Member #2340
agreed..... no problem with cooler t-stat. Just high speed fan won't kick in until the normal set temp so you might find the temp fluctuate during summer months.

#993 04 blk RC 4.56 gears,Harland Sharp Rockers,3/8" Hardened Pushrods, PSI Valve Springs,,Striker Valve Cover Spacers, JMB catless mids,Magnaflow Catback, Torries' Tune,B&M Shifter,Stinker's Extreme Lowering Kit, Caltracs,Catchcan, Forged Wiseco Pistons,Molnar Rods, Clevite Bearings.Center Force Clutch,Cometics Head Gaskets,ARP Head Studs , Pioneer X950BH Double Din , Grants Steering Wheel .And the list continues......
Old 02-25-2014, 07:51 PM

Member #14477
I've always found 180 degree stats to be a good compromise in my vehicles.

"Aerodynamics are for people who cannot build engines!"
-Enzo Ferrari

2004 Ram SRT 10
2006 Pontiac GTO
1991 Dodge Spirit R/T