Go Back   Dodge Ram SRT-10 Forum - Viper Truck Club of America > Viper Truck SRT-10 Discussion > General Discussion
Home Forum Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Garage Mark Forums Read

General Discussion

Aftermarket Radio Gurus?

This is a discussion on Aftermarket Radio Gurus? within the General Discussion forums, part of the Viper Truck SRT-10 Discussion category!
I put in a Kenwood radio and have an issue. In accessory or run ignition switch modes, the radio is ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2013, 01:17 PM
Southeast VTCoA Regional Member

Member #13686
Aftermarket Radio Gurus?

I put in a Kenwood radio and have an issue. In accessory or run ignition switch modes, the radio is fine. I can cycle between these modes a 100 times and not have an issue. The problem is when I push the big red button. 80% of the time the radio goes completely dead. The only way out of this is to open the dash, remove the radio, unplug the harness and plug it back in. If I do this while the truck is running, it will stay powered forever. The next start, my 80% failure odds come into play again.

I first replaced the adapter harness (AXXESS) with the same result, and a new head unit with the same result again.

I put the factory radio back in and it has no issues that I can detect (except a "stuck CD" sound at power up if there are none loaded).

What I think is happening is a ground fault during the starter cycle(?). I was thinking of pulling a new chassis ground direct from the harness to the radio. I also dug up an OLD Kenwood forum reply that the radio goes to "Protect" if the radio sees a short in the speaker wires. However, in this example, the radio actually indicates "PROTECT" on the screen. Besides the rear pillar speakers sounding like total a$$, I don't think there is a problem with any of them.

Thoughts?

Build Number #0590, 10/15/2004, VTR-0680

Changes from stock (for my benefit, not yours):
K&N 57-Series CAI, Magnaflow Exhaust, **Owner Swap**, JTSVP 1.75" leveling blocks, OEM aluminum tonneau cover w/ 3 post wing, JTSVP underdrive pulley, hydraulic oil cooler lines.
Old 04-01-2013, 01:23 PM
You got a Hemi?

Member #13990
Sounds like your motor is blown man, need to get a new truck
Old 04-01-2013, 01:24 PM
VIPER POWERED

Member #2161
Send a message via Yahoo to trussman
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamRod10 View Post
Sounds like your motor is blown man, need to get a new truck
I think you're right. I wil give ya $2,000 for it sight un-seen.
Old 04-01-2013, 03:00 PM
Twin Turbo, Forged
Canadian VTCoA Regional Member

Member #2340
Run a dedicated power wire to the stereo. rather than from the radio harness and see if it cures it

#993 04 blk RC 4.56 gears,Harland Sharp Rockers,3/8" Hardened Pushrods, PSI Valve Springs,,Striker Valve Cover Spacers, JMB catless mids,Magnaflow Catback, Torries' Tune,B&M Shifter,Stinker's Extreme Lowering Kit, Caltracs,Catchcan, Forged Wiseco Pistons,Molnar Rods, Clevite Bearings.Center Force Clutch,Cometics Head Gaskets,ARP Head Studs , Pioneer X950BH Double Din , Grants Steering Wheel .And the list continues......
Old 04-01-2013, 04:20 PM

Member #13686
I was thinking dedicated ground and "always on" first. Then the switched wire if these don't do the job. But if I am getting a speaker short that is causing the radio to go to protect, I guess I will have wasted a little time on wires.

Or, I could just be fat dumb and happy with the factory 6 CD. Well, not happy.
Build Number #0590, 10/15/2004, VTR-0680

Changes from stock (for my benefit, not yours):
K&N 57-Series CAI, Magnaflow Exhaust, **Owner Swap**, JTSVP 1.75" leveling blocks, OEM aluminum tonneau cover w/ 3 post wing, JTSVP underdrive pulley, hydraulic oil cooler lines.