Go Back   Dodge Ram SRT-10 Forum - Viper Truck Club of America > Viper Truck SRT-10 Discussion > General Discussion
Home Forum Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Garage Mark Forums Read

General Discussion

Bed cover issue, Help!!!

This is a discussion on Bed cover issue, Help!!! within the General Discussion forums, part of the Viper Truck SRT-10 Discussion category!
I have a problem and wanted to throw this out and see if anyone had any good advice. I have ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2009, 07:24 PM

Member #1313
Bed cover issue, Help!!!

I have a problem and wanted to throw this out and see if anyone had any good advice. I have a snug fiberglass bed cover on my truck. This cover locks by key and the key also operates as the latch. The lock is under my wing which only leaves a couple of inches for clearence. Well yesterday my wife and I done some shopping and placed some items in the truck bed. When we got home I attempted to open the cover to retreive the items, only to find that the lock/key/latch would not disengage the lock. There is not much tension on the lock, leading me to believe that the lock assembly has been disconnected from the bed rail latches. The cover has two latches, one on each side at the rear of the bed. The only exposed peice of this system is the key lock itself, no screws, bolts, ect.

I have attempted to lift the cover while lowering the tailgate to no avail. Today at work, I used our key unlcock air bags and was able to inflat both sides of the cover, but am still lacking about an inch to lowering the tailgate. I was hoping the lock and mechanism would give way and break.

At this point I am debating having a body man cut an inch or so high on the fiberglass so I can lower the tailgate.

If anyone has any ideas or had dealt with this before, your help would be greatly appreciated.

Russell

My truck is #1954 out of 3057, Built 5/4/2004,
Mods, charcoal stripes, lowered, Polk Audio system with two subs, custom emblems, chrome tail light trim, tonneau cover, tinted windows, Centerforce back to stock clutch with JMB Viper slave/master install. Soon to be Stinkers lifetime oil lines.
Old 02-05-2009, 07:44 PM
VIPER POWERED
West VTCoA Regional Member

Member #61
If the mechanize looks like this you can possible hook it with a coat hanger or such and pull the lever to open . Have done this with toolboxes
Attached Thumbnails
latch.jpg  
Old 02-05-2009, 07:54 PM

Member #1313
I do suspect that the mechanisim looks like that, but this brings up more bad news I forgot to mention, the mechanism is covered in a box of sorts and then carpeted of the entire area.

Russell
Mods, charcoal stripes, lowered, Polk Audio system with two subs, custom emblems, chrome tail light trim, tonneau cover, tinted windows, Centerforce back to stock clutch with JMB Viper slave/master install. Soon to be Stinkers lifetime oil lines.
Old 02-07-2009, 03:32 PM

Member #3773
Talking

On my Leer tonneau, I went with the ease of a remote electric release. My key is under the wing too, but that was the solution my wrench had.
Front & Rear Strobes
Roe Supercharger
170 degree Thermostat
Roe Racing Billet Aluminum Valve Covers
Ballenger Long Tube Headers, Magnaflow cat back
Roe Rebuilt Engine, to Racing Specs Mapped & BP
Ground Force Lowering Kit
B&M Short Throw
Autolite Ultra-Lite Gauges
Leer 800 Series Tonneau Cover w/Remote Opener
Custom Mounting for Stock Wing, Bed Rug
Audiovox Prestige Security System
22 Boss 329 Rims & Nitto Tires
Old 02-07-2009, 08:10 PM
VIPER POWERED

Member #175
Stinker has carnie hands and probably could reach in there for you, like he changes his spark plug wires under the intake without any problem!

My only suggestion would be a local lock maker, friend who is a fireman or cop used to getting into vehicles, or mechanic to give it a try at a shop.
Roe Twin Screw Supercharger, Stage 3 Ported Heads, Ported Throttle Body, Comp Cams Camshaft, Diamond forged Pistons, Total Seal Rings, forged push rods, balanced crank, ARP Head Studs, NGK Iridium Plugs, MSD wires, [SIZE=1][B]K&N filter, [/B}]
Old 02-07-2009, 11:26 PM
VIPER POWERED
Southeast VTCoA Regional Member
2012 Viper Truck of The Month

Member #520
I think a Locksmith would be better than damaging the cover.
Cal-Tracs, 4.56 gears Cold Fusion Nitrous system, Viper clutch hydraulics, JMB CAI, Catch Can,Line Loc Tick Transmission modified T-56
Old 02-08-2009, 12:45 AM
VIPER POWERED

Member #32
Quote:
Originally Posted by chromecards
I have a problem and wanted to throw this out and see if anyone had any good advice. I have a snug fiberglass bed cover on my truck. This cover locks by key and the key also operates as the latch. The lock is under my wing which only leaves a couple of inches for clearence. Well yesterday my wife and I done some shopping and placed some items in the truck bed. When we got home I attempted to open the cover to retreive the items, only to find that the lock/key/latch would not disengage the lock. There is not much tension on the lock, leading me to believe that the lock assembly has been disconnected from the bed rail latches. The cover has two latches, one on each side at the rear of the bed. The only exposed peice of this system is the key lock itself, no screws, bolts, ect.

I have attempted to lift the cover while lowering the tailgate to no avail. Today at work, I used our key unlcock air bags and was able to inflat both sides of the cover, but am still lacking about an inch to lowering the tailgate. I was hoping the lock and mechanism would give way and break.

At this point I am debating having a body man cut an inch or so high on the fiberglass so I can lower the tailgate.

If anyone has any ideas or had dealt with this before, your help would be greatly appreciated.

Russell

Thats yet another reason to ditch the wing!!! Just kidding dude, youll get it figured out. I too had a wing on my snug lid and i cut the head off my key and tacked a washer to the end of it, works like a champ and easy to turn. I then joined the darkside and took the wing off.
Old 02-08-2009, 01:44 AM

Member #100
Send a message via MSN to Voodoo
could u drill the lock???

Old 02-08-2009, 07:22 AM
VIPER POWERED

Member #32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodoo
could u drill the lock???
that might be hard to do with the wing in the way...
Old 02-08-2009, 05:20 PM

Member #1313
Well I was able to get this resolved yesterday. I took it to Mid-America Truck Tops, my local Snug Dealer, in Eureka, MO. They were able to lower the tailgate with three men, one on each side and one in the middle lifting up on the cover. I honestly thought of this, but did not think it could be done.

Anyway apparantly my cover is one of the first of its kind and was made with an inferior lock. Since that time Snug has changed to a new and improved lock, the old one was still intact, but all of the locking mechanism was stripped out.

If anyone has a snug top you might want to look into this, I am just glad that I was not on a trip with my luggage in the back or had any perishables.

They installed the new and improved lock and doused it with lock-tite, it is better then new.

These guys at Mid-America were really friendly and helpful and I highly reccomend them to anyone in the St. Louis area. It turns out I graduated high school with one of the guys there, it was good to see him and I just had a great experience there.

They told me that they had done some work on my truck before I bought it, for the original owner. They also said that they done some work on Augie Busch's, of the Busch Family, silver SRT-10, apparantly his truck at the time was supercharged w/NOS.

Russell