Go Back   Dodge Ram SRT-10 Forum - Viper Truck Club of America > Viper Truck SRT-10 Discussion > General Discussion
Home Forum Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Garage Mark Forums Read

General Discussion

Flash Tuners For Dummies

This is a discussion on Flash Tuners For Dummies within the General Discussion forums, part of the Viper Truck SRT-10 Discussion category!
Hey Lads, OK, I've asked several dumb questions but this is probably at the top though, I'm a firm believer ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2008, 04:30 PM
VIPER POWERED
2013 Viper Truck of The Month

Member #2263
Question Flash Tuners For Dummies

Hey Lads,

OK, I've asked several dumb questions but this is probably at the top though, I'm a firm believer that the only dumb question is the one you don't ask and we weren't born knowing. My question, WTF are all these VEC, VECI, VECIIIs, tuners, PCMs, flash gizmos and handheld programmers people are speaking of?!?

I'm guessing they plug into the factory computer and you can adjust the factory settings or in better wording override them to gain better performance. Is someone able to break them down into what they mean (VEC = etc) and even better explain in brief which tuners people are using and what that tuner does and is good for?

Thanks,
Carl

Old 02-14-2008, 04:34 PM
VIPER POWERED

Member #2471
VEC = viper engine controller

Here's a link for info on the handheld programer. Alot of people are speaking very highly of this, and I will be getting one shortly.
Hand Held Flash Programmers now available for all SRT Trucks!

More people with more knowledge than I have will chime in

http://www.facebook.com/BrosInArmsWAR

“The down payment for the price of freedom is paid for with the sacrifice and blood of our fallen soldiers; the balance is paid for by the lifetime mortgage that is taken out on the lives of our surviving veterans (and their families).” - Lee Alley
Old 02-14-2008, 04:40 PM
VIPER POWERED
West VTCoA Regional Member

Member #91
Hey Carl, if your going to buy a Roe you will get the vec with it and tunes from Roe. If your going to stay NA then get a SCT hand held tuner from DC. A flash is a pcm that you change out from your stock pcm. I don't think the flash is worth it on a RC. I raced a RC that had the stage 2 flash and beat him by over a 1/2 sec in the 1/4. My RC is still stock except to shifter and magnaflow. I'm going to buy a SCT when I get the extra $'s. I think its the way to go. This way I don't have to mess the stock pcm.
'04 Ram SRT-10 Red #2285
300+ Racing Homing Pigeons
Old 02-14-2008, 04:42 PM
VIPER POWERED

Member #2263
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveThisTruck
VEC = viper engine controller

Here's a link for info on the handheld programer. Alot of people are speaking very highly of this, and I will be getting one shortly.
Hand Held Flash Programmers now available for all SRT Trucks!

More people with more knowledge than I have will chime in

Aha!! He explained with great relish, of course Viper Engine Controller. Thanks bud, that helps a lot already. It's bloody amazing aint it!?! Hard to believe a small box can "tune" your car. By "tune" what does that mean exactly, tune as in tune and correct any faults or timing issues in the engine, basically a service for the truck or? Again, hard to fathom it can be done, I know this is the technology age but shit, that rocks lol.

Thanks,
Carl
Old 02-14-2008, 04:48 PM
VIPER POWERED

Member #2263
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleeper
Hey Carl, if your going to buy a Roe you will get the vec with it and tunes from Roe. If your going to stay NA then get a SCT hand held tuner from DC. A flash is a pcm that you change out from your stock pcm. I don't think the flash is worth it on a RC. I raced a RC that had the stage 2 flash and beat him by over a 1/2 sec in the 1/4. My RC is still stock except to shifter and magnaflow. I'm going to buy a SCT when I get the extra $'s. I think its the way to go. This way I don't have to mess the stock pcm.

Thanks, yeah, I'm not sure on supercharging mine. Sounds good but I've always had a soft spot for fast N/A engines and driver skill, more of a challenge, like fishing in a boat vs from land off the rocks.

So, if I did buy the SCT (SCT =?), but ended up getting a Roe SC later on down the line, is it just a matter of putting/pulling the SCT out and installing the VEC supplied with the Roe kit? Basically, having a SCT won't hinder having a Roe later on?

Thanks,
Carl
Old 02-14-2008, 05:15 PM
VIPER POWERED
West VTCoA Regional Member

Member #91
I believe the sct plugs in under the dash. So if you do get a vec later on it should no problem to make the change. You might even be able to still use it, but I'm not sure. Quicksilver has one with his Paxton. Hes the one to ask.
'04 Ram SRT-10 Red #2285
300+ Racing Homing Pigeons
Old 02-14-2008, 05:54 PM

Member #3628
The SCT will not need the VEC. It will do it all through the PCM perfectly Carl.

Old 02-14-2008, 06:34 PM
VIPER POWERED

Member #2263
Thanks guys, much appreciated.

That SCT is definitely food for thought.
Old 02-14-2008, 06:46 PM
VIPER POWERED
Southeast VTCoA Regional Member

Member #206
The VEC is hardwired into your PCM. The SCT is just plug in, make your changes, unplug.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...79992451&hl=en

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=jPEsZ5wHJh4
Old 02-14-2008, 06:53 PM
VIPER POWERED

Member #954
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlwalski
Thanks guys, much appreciated.

That SCT is definitely food for thought.
Dude Your in new Zealand, I dont Think you have A Viper tech or a Good tuner there Yeah go with the Sct thats probably the best bet