Go Back   Dodge Ram SRT-10 Forum - Viper Truck Club of America > Viper Truck SRT-10 Discussion > General Discussion
Home Forum Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Garage Mark Forums Read

General Discussion

Hard Time Shifting into Gears

This is a discussion on Hard Time Shifting into Gears within the General Discussion forums, part of the Viper Truck SRT-10 Discussion category!
I have a B&M shifter on my 04 RC. While the truck is off it goes through the gears easily. ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2009, 12:34 PM
Southwest VTCoA Regional Member

Member #9847
Hard Time Shifting into Gears

I have a B&M shifter on my 04 RC. While the truck is off it goes through the gears easily. When the truck is on it has to be forced into the gears and a pop sound is made. Any ideas?

Old 11-25-2009, 02:04 PM
VIPER POWERED
West VTCoA Regional Member

Member #92
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsandlin
I have a B&M shifter on my 04 RC. While the truck is off it goes through the gears easily. When the truck is on it has to be forced into the gears and a pop sound is made. Any ideas?
My first reaction would be to look at the clutch hydraulics....

The slave and master sould be replaced with the Viper upgrade and the lines should be sheilded from the heat.... It has also been recommened to go to Motul 4 dot... (Been ahwile-I'm going from memory)

D

"Tact: the ability to tell a man to "go to Hell" and make him feel happy to be on his way."
Old 11-25-2009, 02:06 PM
VIPER POWERED

Member #436
Clutch could also be worn out or not completely disengaging...

2013 CHALLENGER SRT8 AUTO IN BLACK * LMI TRUE CAI * ARRINGTON STAGE II ALUM INTAKE* KW COIL OVERS * CORSA EXTREME CATBACK * MAGNAFLOW HIGH FLOW CATS * 3.23 GETRAG LSD * PARAMOUNT DOMINATOR 3800 STALL CONVERTER * SPEEDLOGIX LIGHTWEIGHT FACIA MOUNT * ARRINGTON 6.4 BASED 426 STROKER * 517 RWHP / 536 RWTQ * MODERN MUSCLE 87 MM PORTED THROTTLE BODY * COMP VVT CAM CUSTOM GRIND FOR ARRINGTON * TUNED BY THE HEMITUNER.....

Old 11-25-2009, 02:11 PM
VIPER POWERED

Member #14
Send a message via AIM to Venom Power Send a message via Yahoo to Venom Power
I have similar issues but I found my clutch fluid reservoir real low yesterday upon realizing the clutch pedal was requiring more push to disengage. I put more fluid in and pumped her up. Now I can only shift into 1st. But I'm certain it's because air is in the lines. After consulting a higher power on here (won't mention his name so he won't be bombarded with calls) I will be bleeding the clutch system myself of old fluid and air. #1900 is currently jacked up on stands in the garage.

HEY TIM! DOT4? I have DOT3 in my possession now. This isn't good enough?

'04 SRT10 PS2 Silver #1900 (4-29-04) OCT 2008 Truck of the Month
'07 SRT-8 300C Phantom Black (unmolested)
'12 Nissan Armada Jet Black on Black (family ride)
'15 392 SRT Challenger 6 spd, Pitch Black w Gun Metal Stripes
Old 11-25-2009, 02:36 PM
Supporting Vendor

Member #71
valvoline syntec works really well anthony, its in a gold quart at auto zip, has a great high boiling point and not extremely expensive
Old 11-25-2009, 02:54 PM
VIPER POWERED

Member #14
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTS VENOM PERFORMANCE
valvoline syntec works really well anthony, its in a gold quart at auto zip, has a great high boiling point and not extremely expensive
CHECK! I will be heading out now to get some... Thanks Tony.

Old 11-25-2009, 03:21 PM

Member #9847
yeah I also spoke to the higher power and Tony told me what to do. Hope it helps. The clutch is only like 6 months old. hope it helps.
Old 11-25-2009, 03:21 PM
Has Left the Room - Banned from VTCOA!
Southwest VTCoA Regional Rep
2013 Viper Truck of The Month

Member #10675
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom Power
I have similar issues but I found my clutch fluid reservoir real low yesterday upon realizing the clutch pedal was requiring more push to disengage. I put more fluid in and pumped her up. Now I can only shift into 1st. But I'm certain it's because air is in the lines. After consulting a higher power on here (won't mention his name so he won't be bombarded with calls) I will be bleeding the clutch system myself of old fluid and air. #1900 is currently jacked up on stands in the garage.

HEY TIM! DOT4? I have DOT3 in my possession now. This isn't good enough?

Corect you are as is whoever told you so. Open the top on your master fluid resevoir. Notice whether the fluid is black or dark colored vs. being clean. I bet it's pretty darn black, right. Use a turkey baster to remove the old fluid and replace with new. Use DOT4 as the boiling point is much higher. Your clutch area in side the bellhousing gets extremely hot due to the friction of the clutch on the flywheel. IMagine the temps on hard runs!! It basically boils this clutch fluid ( brake fluid) and bakes it. Shielding from exhaust is highly recommended as well as changing the fluid frequently.

THe CORRECT way to do this is by bleeding the entire system via the line connecting to the tranny. IT has a check valve that must be depressed to allow the fluid to escape. This is a buddy system job ( need your ole lady or bud) as one will pump the clutch like you would brakes then the other bleeding under the truck. NEVER let the resevoir get too low, check it every 3 bledds or so and top it off or you'll reintroduce air back into the lines and that is pretty much where most RC owners are having shifting issues, especially the 2-3 shift that the miracle shifter handle swap DOESN'T fix!
Also I am waiting on a master cylinder line and master itself to try an idea that worked for my Trans Am, and many a Camaro and Vette owner as well as a couple T-56 Cobra owners to make the 2-3 shift butter. Hopefully, once I receive this set I can try my ideas and have someone install to see if it works as intended. Basically I increase the pump on the Master and increase line diameter to flow fluid quicker and with more volume. In essence you all are out shifting the clutch. Yall fockers are fast lil speedshifters aren't ya.
P.S. Bleeding the master and slave literally take an hour to do completely. All BS aside and I have tried the Mityvac and one man bleeders with no luck. It TAKES the BUDDY SYSTEM! Just when you are tired of bleeding and refilling and climbing back under the truck........bleed some more. When the clutch has a nice firm pedal you have achieved an air free system.

Last edited by VENOMOUS1 RACING; 11-25-2009 at 03:25 PM.
Old 11-25-2009, 04:35 PM
VIPER POWERED

Member #14
Quote:
Originally Posted by VENOMOUS1
Corect you are as is whoever told you so. Open the top on your master fluid resevoir. Notice whether the fluid is black or dark colored vs. being clean. I bet it's pretty darn black, right. Use a turkey baster to remove the old fluid and replace with new. Use DOT4 as the boiling point is much higher. Your clutch area in side the bellhousing gets extremely hot due to the friction of the clutch on the flywheel. IMagine the temps on hard runs!! It basically boils this clutch fluid ( brake fluid) and bakes it. Shielding from exhaust is highly recommended as well as changing the fluid frequently.

THe CORRECT way to do this is by bleeding the entire system via the line connecting to the tranny. IT has a check valve that must be depressed to allow the fluid to escape. This is a buddy system job ( need your ole lady or bud) as one will pump the clutch like you would brakes then the other bleeding under the truck. NEVER let the resevoir get too low, check it every 3 bledds or so and top it off or you'll reintroduce air back into the lines and that is pretty much where most RC owners are having shifting issues, especially the 2-3 shift that the miracle shifter handle swap DOESN'T fix!
Also I am waiting on a master cylinder line and master itself to try an idea that worked for my Trans Am, and many a Camaro and Vette owner as well as a couple T-56 Cobra owners to make the 2-3 shift butter. Hopefully, once I receive this set I can try my ideas and have someone install to see if it works as intended. Basically I increase the pump on the Master and increase line diameter to flow fluid quicker and with more volume. In essence you all are out shifting the clutch. Yall fockers are fast lil speedshifters aren't ya.
P.S. Bleeding the master and slave literally take an hour to do completely. All BS aside and I have tried the Mityvac and one man bleeders with no luck. It TAKES the BUDDY SYSTEM! Just when you are tired of bleeding and refilling and climbing back under the truck........bleed some more. When the clutch has a nice firm pedal you have achieved an air free system.

And all this information is from a QC owner.. Impressive. I couldn't find DOT4 so I got another bottle of DOT3. This is the first time this has happened but it was inevitable since I haven't changed the fluid since the upgraded clutch and parts were done back in 2006. I know I know, I need to be drawn and quartered.. But no one has ever told me.

Old 11-25-2009, 05:12 PM
Has Left the Room - Banned from VTCOA!
Southwest VTCoA Regional Rep
2013 Viper Truck of The Month

Member #10675
Brotha if QCs came with 6 speeds that's what mine would be. Hell it still might one day? I may do the conversion with someone who wants an Auto RC.

My experience is from working on many a t-56 tranny for friends as well as my own.