Go Back   Dodge Ram SRT-10 Forum - Viper Truck Club of America > Viper Truck SRT-10 Discussion > General Discussion
Home Forum Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Garage Mark Forums Read

General Discussion

Harmonic Balancer for 04

This is a discussion on Harmonic Balancer for 04 within the General Discussion forums, part of the Viper Truck SRT-10 Discussion category!
I believe the lemon law applies to my truck. The balancer should not come loose if it is engineered correctly! ...

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2018, 06:12 AM

Member #12946
I believe the lemon law applies to my truck. The balancer should not come loose if it is engineered correctly! I really wish we could get a number of how many people were having the same problem. The threads are gaulded. the crank should have a 3/4" bolt and should have been keyed. Unlike Dodge I will put it together correctly.

Old 07-06-2018, 11:46 AM
1800HP Club. And climbing
Canadian VTCoA Regional Member

Member #7
Send a message via MSN to SRT10VENOMOUS Send a message via Yahoo to SRT10VENOMOUS
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas View Post
I believe the lemon law applies to my truck. The balancer should not come loose if it is engineered correctly! I really wish we could get a number of how many people were having the same problem. The threads are gaulded. the crank should have a 3/4" bolt and should have been keyed. Unlike Dodge I will put it together correctly.
almost all 04s had this problem, just get a new balancer and put it back on, your crank is fine, and a lemon law refers to a vehicle that dodge fixes you get it back it goes bad again and again, , They will not give you any money to fix your crank especially on 14 year old truck,, so quit trying to pass blame and just bold on a new balancer quick simple fix with low cost... Im sure some heat from a torch will free up those threads
caveman and IronAffliction like this.
04 SRT-10 Ram #849

04 SRT10 Ram - under construction

Old 07-06-2018, 04:48 PM

Member #12946
The therads must be gaulded. I cannot get the bolt out of the crank. I called both dodge dealers in Midland and Odessa Tx more than 2 times each this week and no one will call back.does any one know someone that will fix a Dodge in Midland or odessa? Now I know why thw company I work for only runs Chevys and Fords.
Old 07-07-2018, 04:01 PM

Member #12946
The bolt will not come out even after I bought a torch and heated it up. I would like to sell the truck as is. how much would it be worth?
Old 07-07-2018, 04:05 PM

Member #12946
How much would the engine be worth. Chevrolet has engineers with integrity I would like to put a 7 liter in it.
Old 07-07-2018, 04:54 PM

Member #7
Send a message via MSN to SRT10VENOMOUS Send a message via Yahoo to SRT10VENOMOUS
Quote:
The bolt will not come out even after I bought a torch and heated it up. I would like to sell the truck as is. how much would it be worth?
What kind of torch did you pick up, and what did you heat exactly? a home depot torch on a propane can wont do the trick, you will need someone with a proper torch that can put some heat in the snout of the crank ... take it to a mechanic and ask him to remove the balancer
04 SRT-10 Ram #849

Old 07-07-2018, 06:56 PM

Member #18271
You have the engine and driveshaft on lock down or are you just spinning it? Something sounds off about your situation. Are you saying the bolt backed out enough to push the balancer off the snout and you can't wrench it the rest of the way out. Dunno my friend, mine was finger loose, no need to wrench it out.
Old 07-07-2018, 11:23 PM

Member #12946
I bought a new steel harmonic balancer from jtsvp and it either is the wrong one or it would not go on all the way. now the bolt is gaulded. I guess I am an idiot for thinking Dodge could Make a Harmonic balancer that will not come loose like Chevy, Ford, Toyota, Nissan and all the other car makers. With less than 26000 miles this is unacceptable. What happened to the post from the canadian guy that said almost all the 2004 trucks have this problem?
Old 07-07-2018, 11:34 PM

Member #12946
The snout of the crank has a pulley on it and the bolt is 4" long the snout only sticks out a little over an inch. the crank has got to be removed to heat the part with threads on it. The Dodge dealer in Odessa is backed up for over a month and the one in Midland will not call me back and won't answer the phone. If the crank is heated it will melt the seal. I bought a Lincoln torch and had to exchange the bottles for some that were full.
Old 07-07-2018, 11:37 PM

Member #7
Quote:
I bought a new steel harmonic balancer from jtsvp and it either is the wrong one or it would not go on all the way. now the bolt is gaulded. I guess I am an idiot for thinking Dodge could Make a Harmonic balancer that will not come loose like Chevy, Ford, Toyota, Nissan and all the other car makers. With less than 26000 miles this is unacceptable. What happened to the post from the canadian guy that said almost all the 2004 trucks have this problem?
Mine at 2500 miles came lose so your doing about 10x better than mine.. Ok so your story keeps changing so what is really going on.. So first you say you cant get the old one off as the bolt is locked.. Now you bought a new one and cant get it on correctly and because of that you put the bolt in wrong and now its frozen.. so whats the story did you get the old one off and you F**ked it up putting a new one on?? or the original is on and the bolt is stuck? So in your latest post your saying you have the new one got it on wrong now the bolt is stuck... And because you put it on wrong you are trying to blame some engineer who designed the viper motor... Im beginning to think your trying to troll this site..
04 SRT-10 Ram #849