Go Back   Dodge Ram SRT-10 Forum - Viper Truck Club of America > Viper Truck SRT-10 Discussion > General Discussion
Home Forum Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Garage Mark Forums Read

General Discussion

Just purchased Truck, ugly tranny issue

This is a discussion on Just purchased Truck, ugly tranny issue within the General Discussion forums, part of the Viper Truck SRT-10 Discussion category!
Hi guys. New to the forum. I have read a lot about the clutch and tranny issues on these trucks. ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2008, 11:13 AM
You got a Hemi?

Member #10267
Angry Just purchased Truck, ugly tranny issue

Hi guys. New to the forum. I have read a lot about the clutch and tranny issues on these trucks. Now, I'm part of the problem.

I purchased an 04 Ram SRT 10 in August. 13,000 miles when I first got the truck, 15,000 on it now. About a month ago, it started kicking out of reverse while I was backing up. It wouldn't do it all the time so I thought it was user error. I thought I wasn't getting it into gear all the way. Just before we were leaving for Thanksgiving, I couldn't even back into my spot. I ran it down to the dealership and told them the issue. The service agent tells me that if it's the tranny, it will be covered under the drive train warranty.

Monday I get the dreaded call, it is the tranny and there isn't a drive train warranty on the RAM SRT. $5000 to replace. That's 25% of the value of the truck!!!! OUCH!!!!

I read about the viper master and centerforce clutch replacements on the forum. Does anyone think that will fix this issue? Should I take it to a tranny shop and have them fix the exact issue for less $$? Or.....should I replace the tranny, the master, the clutch, and the fly wheel?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Beau

Old 12-02-2008, 11:20 AM
VIPER POWERED
Southeast VTCoA Regional Member
2012 Viper Truck of The Month

Member #520
Sounds more like a clutch problem than tranny, contact Justin @ JMB Performance, He is or drivetrain Guru. DO NOT PAY 5000.00 for a tranny, we will find yo one if necessary
Cal-Tracs, 4.56 gears Cold Fusion Nitrous system, Viper clutch hydraulics, JMB CAI, Catch Can,Line Loc Tick Transmission modified T-56
Old 12-02-2008, 11:20 AM
VIPER POWERED
Canadian VTCoA Regional Member

Member #1200
I am sure you can get a tranny cheaper. Get the parts shipped out of the states and go to a trusted tranny shop. If you have the cash the centerforce with master and slave is always a good option...

04 SRT-10 -#1319 of #3057 Born on 3/17/2004
- Mopar Longtube Headers & Mids - Magnaflow Catback - B&M Shifter - BBK Throttle Body - JTSVP Oil Lines - K&N Drop In - Centerforce with Viper Slave and Master - JMB Catch Can - SCT Tuned by Torrie -

08 Ford F350 Lariat CrewCab Diesel
07 GMC Yukon Denali
Old 12-02-2008, 11:22 AM
VIPER POWERED

Member #808
Send a message via AIM to Roz Send a message via Yahoo to Roz
It wouldn't hurt to get a 2nd opinion from another dealer, or a shop specializing in performance transmissions.

I wouldn't toss parts at it until you knew exactly what was going on.

Is that the only problem, is it wouldn't stay in reverse? That COULD be an issue with the shifter itself if all the forward gears work as they should.

Good luck!!!

Old 12-02-2008, 11:23 AM
VIPER POWERED

Member #520
BTW, You are never part of the problem, We thrive on this shit. Welcome to the RBC.
Cal-Tracs, 4.56 gears Cold Fusion Nitrous system, Viper clutch hydraulics, JMB CAI, Catch Can,Line Loc Tick Transmission modified T-56
Old 12-02-2008, 11:35 AM
VIPER POWERED

Member #2471
That same thing has been happening to another member here for a long time. He just crams it in to reverse and holds it there Problem solved

http://www.facebook.com/BrosInArmsWAR

“The down payment for the price of freedom is paid for with the sacrifice and blood of our fallen soldiers; the balance is paid for by the lifetime mortgage that is taken out on the lives of our surviving veterans (and their families).” - Lee Alley
Old 12-02-2008, 11:37 AM
VIPER POWERED

Member #520
It is NOT the tranny, it is NOT the shifter, It IS the clutch, now call Justin...
Old 12-02-2008, 11:44 AM
VIPER POWERED

Member #389
im not to convinced its a clutch problem but more of a trans issue. most of the time the issue with clutches are the pedel hits the floor. the fact that it pops out of reverse sounds to me like your dealer is correct and it is a trans issue.

gl man
2005 rc silver. mopar performance CAI. mopar performance headers w/cat delete pipes. mopar performance cat back. mopar performance PCM. mopar performance cam. shorty flame antenna. black honeycomb grille.
2006 jeep grand cherokee.<---the wifes ride
2009 dodge ram 1500 crew cab HEMI <----daily driver
Old 12-02-2008, 11:47 AM
You got a Hemi?

Member #10267
Wow, thanks guys for the fast response. I'm calling Justin now and getting a 2nd opinion from a performance shop. Do you guys know anyone in South Florida that I should go to?
Old 12-02-2008, 11:48 AM
VIPER POWERED
Northeast VTCoA Regional Member

Member #3871
Mine does it. When it wont go in at all I have to slowly let out on the clutch while putting force on the shifter. IT click in. But if i get on the gas it pops out. Its starting to require more and more force to hold into gear. Your saying that sounds like a clutch? I havent narrowed it down yet, but clutch doesnt seem the culprit.