Go Back   Dodge Ram SRT-10 Forum - Viper Truck Club of America > Viper Truck SRT-10 Discussion > General Discussion
Home Forum Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Garage Mark Forums Read

General Discussion

Manual Trans Shifting

This is a discussion on Manual Trans Shifting within the General Discussion forums, part of the Viper Truck SRT-10 Discussion category!
Yesterday, I took my truck to the dealer for an oil change and to trouble shioot/inspect the shifting issues I ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2010, 10:00 AM
VIPER POWERED

Member #3761
Manual Trans Shifting

Yesterday, I took my truck to the dealer for an oil change and to trouble shioot/inspect the shifting issues I am having when the mercury drops below freezing. As others have reported, shifting can be stiff and gear changes difficult when the temperature drops. Yesterday, my dealer's VIper tech went through the entire clutch/hydraulics, shifter and transmission systems and found no problems.

So we got on the phone and contacted several Chrysler drivetrain engineers. Long story short, they stated that as long as the shifting performance improves as the trans heats up, then all is normal, don't change the fluid, don't change to another fluid, don't repalce trans, clutch, shifter, etc. According to the engineers, 40 - 45 degrees F seems to be the thresold where shifting becomes stiff. Once my trans is operated and the fluid heats up, shifting or other trans function is not a problem, works perfectly. So, I guess for now, I keep driving it and hope the trans doesn't take a dump after the extended warranty expires...

On a side note, the engineers also stated that they have received an influx of complaints about the same issue I was having from Challenger SRT-8 owners. It seems the 8's with manual trans also have the same shifting issues when the temperature drops.

2006 DR SRT-10 RC, MOPAR Sirius Sat Radio, Silverstar head and fog lamps, JMB CAI, B&M Shifter w/Cherry Performance Lever, JTSVP Oil Lines, Night Runner Headlights, Mopar/Borla Cat Back and Gallons of Wax and Wheel Cleaner

SOLD May 5, 2012
Old 01-13-2010, 10:04 AM
VIPER POWERED
Southeast VTCoA Regional Member
2012 Viper Truck of The Month

Member #520
Synthetic ATF sure makes this a lot better but it will void your factory warranty. Tremec actually suggests Snythetic ATF in the transmission.
Cal-Tracs, 4.56 gears Cold Fusion Nitrous system, Viper clutch hydraulics, JMB CAI, Catch Can,Line Loc Tick Transmission modified T-56
Old 01-13-2010, 10:17 AM

Member #10508
The only complaint I have with mine is 2-3 shifts. I may try synthetic in the future but it seems this could have been better for the price of these trucks.

2004 SRT 10 Red RC
#2402 out of 3057, Built 6/4/2004
K&N Drop Inn Filter/Dynomax Cat Back
Old 01-13-2010, 10:25 AM
VIPER POWERED

Member #3761
Quote:
Originally Posted by FATJACK
Synthetic ATF sure makes this a lot better but it will void your factory warranty. Tremec actually suggests Snythetic ATF in the transmission.
Thats my dilemma. Switch fluids and void warranty or spin the wheel and hope it holds together. The cold shifting performance isn't bad -- you just have to be careful and make sure it goes into gear when its cold. If it doesn't go into gear and the clutch is released, it will grind quite well. Don't ask me how I know that

2006 DR SRT-10 RC, MOPAR Sirius Sat Radio, Silverstar head and fog lamps, JMB CAI, B&M Shifter w/Cherry Performance Lever, JTSVP Oil Lines, Night Runner Headlights, Mopar/Borla Cat Back and Gallons of Wax and Wheel Cleaner

SOLD May 5, 2012
Old 01-13-2010, 10:30 AM
VIPER POWERED
2012 Viper Truck of The Month

Member #520
Many of us are using the synthetic ATF works very well especially in the cold weather.
Cal-Tracs, 4.56 gears Cold Fusion Nitrous system, Viper clutch hydraulics, JMB CAI, Catch Can,Line Loc Tick Transmission modified T-56
Old 01-13-2010, 10:34 AM
VIPER POWERED

Member #436
I use the syn ATF and my trans shifted normal at 19*...

2013 CHALLENGER SRT8 AUTO IN BLACK * LMI TRUE CAI * ARRINGTON STAGE II ALUM INTAKE* KW COIL OVERS * CORSA EXTREME CATBACK * MAGNAFLOW HIGH FLOW CATS * 3.23 GETRAG LSD * PARAMOUNT DOMINATOR 3800 STALL CONVERTER * SPEEDLOGIX LIGHTWEIGHT FACIA MOUNT * ARRINGTON 6.4 BASED 426 STROKER * 517 RWHP / 536 RWTQ * MODERN MUSCLE 87 MM PORTED THROTTLE BODY * COMP VVT CAM CUSTOM GRIND FOR ARRINGTON * TUNED BY THE HEMITUNER.....

Old 01-13-2010, 11:17 AM
2015 Truck of the Year

Member #3931
When it got down in the 30's here, I noticed mine was doing the exact same thing.
Old 01-13-2010, 11:42 AM
VIPER POWERED

Member #3621
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastRam
Thats my dilemma. Switch fluids and void warranty or spin the wheel and hope it holds together. The cold shifting performance isn't bad -- you just have to be careful and make sure it goes into gear when its cold. If it doesn't go into gear and the clutch is released, it will grind quite well. Don't ask me how I know that
Just drain the tranny and save the fluid (so its used)... Switch to Synthetic ATF. If you ever have any problems put the old stuff back in it before taking it to the dealer....

R.I.P Clint aka- Flchub, Chubby, Chubs, and F@cktard..... You will be missed my friend...
Old 01-13-2010, 11:57 AM
Supporting Vendor

Member #71
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastRam
fastram when I had mine running Ibeat the fool out of it with 1000rwhp, you can ask fstjack or anyone that was at bradenton fla for the viper nationals and daily , she got beat on, I jsut took it to be rebuilt for eddies truck to swap out, I used redline d4 atf...................there was no problems inside the tranny at all
Old 01-14-2010, 01:32 AM

Member #11100
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennygene
The only complaint I have with mine is 2-3 shifts. I may try synthetic in the future but it seems this could have been better for the price of these trucks.
Just to be clear, the factory fill is synthetic fluid--Castrol Syntorq LT 75W-85W (Chrysler relabels this as Mopar Synthetic Manual Transmission Fluid 75W-85). Prior to 1998, Viper T56's came with ATF in the transmission, but owners complained of neutral gear rattle and a technical service bulletin was issued stipulating a change to the heavier manual transmission fluid (cures the rattle, but makes shifting a cold transmission harder).

I switched to Mobil1 ATF a few weeks ago. Can't really say how much it affected shifting, as I installed a B&M at the same time....
2005 RC: silver w/ black stripes, K&N CAI, Magnaflow catback, BBK throttle body, Roe tune, B&M shifter, Groundforce lowered 1"/2", Energy Suspension bushings, Kicker/JVC Arsenal audio system, Snakeskin Green trim: Sold!