Go Back   Dodge Ram SRT-10 Forum - Viper Truck Club of America > Viper Truck SRT-10 Discussion > General Discussion
Home Forum Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Garage Mark Forums Read

General Discussion

need advise overheating

This is a discussion on need advise overheating within the General Discussion forums, part of the Viper Truck SRT-10 Discussion category!
I was driving to work today and the truck overheated. I let it cool down and checked everything and the ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2009, 01:53 PM

Member #1475
need advise overheating

I was driving to work today and the truck overheated. I let it cool down and checked everything and the radiator was pretty much empty. I just had the oil changed 2 months ago and the radiator coolant was fine. I keep an eye on my fluids regulary and it has been fine. It sat for the entire month of December in garage with no visible leaks. So I filled the radiator up with water to get it to the dealer. They just called and advised they can not get it to overheat. I replied that because I put water in it. There has to be an issue because all the coolant doesn't just vanish does it. Could it may be a head gasket. I only have 26k miles on it with no issues till now. What should I watch for from the stealership. Thanks

Old 01-12-2009, 02:04 PM
VIPER POWERED

Member #2919
thermostat stuck?
Old 01-12-2009, 02:04 PM
VIPER POWERED

Member #9728
Quote:
Originally Posted by badmood
I was driving to work today and the truck overheated. I let it cool down and checked everything and the radiator was pretty much empty. I just had the oil changed 2 months ago and the radiator coolant was fine. I keep an eye on my fluids regulary and it has been fine. It sat for the entire month of December in garage with no visible leaks. So I filled the radiator up with water to get it to the dealer. They just called and advised they can not get it to overheat. I replied that because I put water in it. There has to be an issue because all the coolant doesn't just vanish does it. Could it may be a head gasket. I only have 26k miles on it with no issues till now. What should I watch for from the stealership. Thanks
Ask them to test for a head gasket leak.

It's not what you have, It's what you do with it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverback
And Scoobert. Kiss my furry ass.
Old 01-12-2009, 02:25 PM
Michel Productions
West VTCoA Regional Member
2012 Viper Truck of The Month

Member #1178
At normal operating temp feel the upper rad hose and the lower rad hose. If the temps feel about the same your thermostat is good.

Immediately after this shut down the engine and take out all the spark plugs. Do a compression test on all cylinders. If you have a blown head gasket where the coolant is being burned in the cylinder then you would find a higher cylinder pressure reading in one or more cylinders where the head gasket would be leaking from.

Ideally you should have the same pressure readings in all cylinders within 15 PSI of each other. If you get 30 psi difference between cylinders then your rings or valve stem seals might have issues. If you have one or more cylinders that have 20 PSI over the highest normal reading then you would most likely have a blown head gasket between the coolant and cylinder part of the head gasket.

Also you can verify a blown head gasket by seeing little bubbles in the radiator with the radiator cap off.
Old 01-12-2009, 02:34 PM
Michel Productions

Member #1178
Also a lot of the times the water pump propeller gets rusted causing a lack of circulation in the cooling system. Our trucks use a waterpump that has a plastic propeller.

Viper Engine
The viper engine waterpump is on the left as you look at the pic.

BTW also check the waterpump ball valve to make sure you don't see any water residue from bad waterpump bearing that will leak during normal operating temps. You can also check the bearings by seeing if there is any play by wiggling the fan blades.
Old 01-12-2009, 02:37 PM
Michel Productions

Member #1178
Here is a view of how close the coolant passages are to the cylinder:

Viper Engine

Viper Engine
Old 01-12-2009, 02:53 PM
VIPER POWERED

Member #6613
if you have a head leak check you oil for water or coolant and check the level.

It's my empire now BIOTCH!!
04 10lb Roe S/C 717hp 753tq
"God forbid we should ever be twenty years without such a rebellion.The people cannot be all, and always, well informed. The part which is wrong will be discontented, in proportion to the importance of the facts they misconceive. If they remain quiet under such misconceptions,it is lethargy, the forerunner of death to the public liberty.
Old 01-12-2009, 02:56 PM

Member #1475
I love this web site it has to be the best car(truck) forum out there. Thanks for the response. I will keep an eye on the dealer to make sure they are checking these things.
Old 01-12-2009, 02:58 PM

Member #1475
Thank god for my extended warranty I hope.
Old 01-12-2009, 02:59 PM
Michel Productions

Member #1178
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilDawg3097
if you have a head leak check you oil for water or coolant and check the level.
Yes that is another thing a blown head gasket could do but it would not cause your engine to overheat. Your engine would most likely spin a rod or main if you had water in the oil.