Go Back   Dodge Ram SRT-10 Forum - Viper Truck Club of America > Viper Truck SRT-10 Discussion > General Discussion
Home Forum Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Garage Mark Forums Read

General Discussion

Need some help with paint removal

This is a discussion on Need some help with paint removal within the General Discussion forums, part of the Viper Truck SRT-10 Discussion category!
Last week as I was backing out of the garage, I did the unthinkable. I rubbed up against the door ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2008, 05:27 PM

Member #2571
Unhappy Need some help with paint removal

Last week as I was backing out of the garage, I did the unthinkable. I rubbed up against the door frame of the garage. Lucky for me the house and the truck appear to not have suffered any serious damage. I am pretty sure I got luck with just paint transfer from the house to the truck. I need some ideas on what to use to help remove the paint from the truck. I have heard that some cheap (turtle wax) wax would have enough detergent in it to remove the paint. I was also told that gasoline would do the trick. I am willing to use what ever plus good old fashioned elbow grease to get it fixed. I am just at a loss as what to use.

The paint is above the rear wheel wheel and on some of the plastic effects. I will post some pics as soon as I figure out how.

#1987 out of 3057, Built 5/6/2004 at the 10th hour (SOLD - 8/21/2009)
Old 07-09-2008, 05:33 PM
VIPER POWERED

Member #436
About any cleaner wax will do.....should come off easy.......just dont use gasoline..

2013 CHALLENGER SRT8 AUTO IN BLACK * LMI TRUE CAI * ARRINGTON STAGE II ALUM INTAKE* KW COIL OVERS * CORSA EXTREME CATBACK * MAGNAFLOW HIGH FLOW CATS * 3.23 GETRAG LSD * PARAMOUNT DOMINATOR 3800 STALL CONVERTER * SPEEDLOGIX LIGHTWEIGHT FACIA MOUNT * ARRINGTON 6.4 BASED 426 STROKER * 517 RWHP / 536 RWTQ * MODERN MUSCLE 87 MM PORTED THROTTLE BODY * COMP VVT CAM CUSTOM GRIND FOR ARRINGTON * TUNED BY THE HEMITUNER.....

Old 07-09-2008, 05:38 PM
VIPER POWERED
Southwest VTCoA Regional Member

Member #146
You could use rubbing compound as well.
2004 Build #2666
Im BACK...
Old 07-09-2008, 06:16 PM

Member #5196
if the paint on your truck is factory (NOT FRESH PAINT) you can use paint thinner on it just dont rub very hard then use some compound to clean it up. I doit all the timewhen costumers bring there cars to work and want a quick fix.
Old 07-09-2008, 06:30 PM
VIPER POWERED

Member #553
Send a message via AIM to ntw0rk
I would use my claybar. I had some paint transfer from a gate that closed on me in Atlanta, and the claybar removed all traces of it!

"I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." C.S. Lewis

Old 07-09-2008, 06:41 PM

Member #5196
the claybar will probably do the trick
Old 07-09-2008, 06:47 PM
VIPER POWERED
Southeast VTCoA Regional Member
2012 Viper Truck of The Month

Member #520
POLISHING compound, not rubbing compound......believe me I have experience with it.
Cal-Tracs, 4.56 gears Cold Fusion Nitrous system, Viper clutch hydraulics, JMB CAI, Catch Can,Line Loc Tick Transmission modified T-56
Old 07-09-2008, 06:52 PM
Almost Senior Member

Member #1240
Meguires(?SP?) scratch X worked for me.
Old 07-09-2008, 06:58 PM
VIPER POWERED
Southeast VTCoA Regional Member

Member #153
WD40 also works without any scratching. Use a soft cloth. If that doesn't do it, then move on to something more aggressive a suggested above.
Old 07-09-2008, 11:10 PM

Member #4848
Use denatured alcohol... you can find it at home paint supply store. It's what most body shops use to take off painted on pinstripes. It will remove the paint and not harm your clear coat.