Go Back   Dodge Ram SRT-10 Forum - Viper Truck Club of America > Viper Truck SRT-10 Discussion > General Discussion
Home Forum Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Garage Mark Forums Read

General Discussion

P0445 fixed, P0442 not, dropped the fuel tank and.....

This is a discussion on P0445 fixed, P0442 not, dropped the fuel tank and..... within the General Discussion forums, part of the Viper Truck SRT-10 Discussion category!
Been getting evap codes P0445 for large leak and P0442 for a small leak. Changed the fuel cap and the ...

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2012, 05:06 PM

Member #12890
P0445 fixed, P0442 not, dropped the fuel tank and.....

Been getting evap codes P0445 for large leak and P0442 for a small leak. Changed the fuel cap and the large leak code is gone. Just getting the small leak code. Went over all the vacuum and fuel lines, solenoid valve, all check good. Only place I could not check was on top of the tank. Feeling around on top of the tank one of the depressions with a device in it would be wet and smell of gas after a fill up. So I dropped the tank.

The device in the picture leaks when I presurize the fuel tank. What is this device? Can it be replaced or sealed?

Video of it leaking

Old 11-10-2012, 08:26 PM
VIPER POWERED
Northeast VTCoA Regional Member

Member #10997
I think that is for the evap. When you take the top off the tank can u see how it is attached on the other side?

P.I.E Tuned @ www.performanceinjectionequipment.com
665hp 730tq @13#'s no meth
FOXHOLE RACING
2005 srt10 rc forged motor, roe supercharger, roe throttle body, custom jmb/Volant cai, meth injection, jtsvp coil packs, tony's venom series wires, belanger longtube headers no cats magnaflow muffler, b&m shifter, 69lb injectors, twin pump fuel system, ati super damper, caltracs, xmetal lowering kit, m&h slicks, tuned with act

Old 11-10-2012, 08:35 PM
VIPER POWERED
Southwest VTCoA Regional Member

Member #278
That's your roll over valve. How much are you pressure are you using?
Old 11-10-2012, 09:17 PM
VIPER POWERED

Member #10997
Or a roll over valve lol

FOXHOLE RACING
2005 srt10 rc forged motor, roe supercharger, roe throttle body, custom jmb/Volant cai, meth injection, jtsvp coil packs, tony's venom series wires, belanger longtube headers no cats magnaflow muffler, b&m shifter, 69lb injectors, twin pump fuel system, ati super damper, caltracs, xmetal lowering kit, m&h slicks, tuned with act

Old 11-10-2012, 10:39 PM

Member #12890
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastestbrickonearth View Post
I think that is for the evap. When you take the top off the tank can u see how it is attached on the other side?
It has to be attached from the inside. I can see no way to remove it from the outside. I Cant get the ring on the fuel pump to turn either. I called Auto Zone, they have a kit for removing the fuel pump, some kind of spanner wrench that will get the ring off the fuel pump. Maybe then I can feel around inside the tank for a lock ring under that device thats leaking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoparConnection View Post
That's your roll over valve. How much are you pressure are you using?
Using the discharge from a shop vac. Dont know how much PSI that might be. "roll over valve"? It has a large line going to it that could be some kind of fuel return line or maybe a tank vent line. The small line connected to it goes across the top of the tank to the rear, and conects to another device similar to this one just smaller. So it has to lift straight up since there is no lock ring I can see.
Old 11-10-2012, 11:25 PM
VIPER POWERED
Southwest VTCoA Regional Member

Member #278
I'm curious because a small leak is not p0442. That is typically caused by a ldp pump which is pretty common. The evap system does not pressurize that much and depending how much pressure you put it may leak.
Old 11-11-2012, 10:08 AM

Member #12890
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoparConnection View Post
I'm curious because a small leak is not p0442. That is typically caused by a ldp pump which is pretty common. The evap system does not pressurize that much and depending how much pressure you put it may leak.
What is the ldp pump? I am going by this OBD II site. Looking for things on the list they show.

OBD-II Trouble Code: P0442 Evaporative Emission Control System Leak Detected (small leak)

Causes

A code P0442 most likely means one or more of the following has happened:
•A loose or improperly affixed gas cap
•A non-conforming gas cap (i.e. not factory/original brand)
•A small leak/hole in a fuel vapor hose/tube
•Other small leak in EVAP system
•Faulty vent o-ring seal

Possible Solutions

With a P0442, the most common repair is to:
•Remove and reinstall the gas cap, clear the codes, and drive for a day and see if the codes come back.
•Otherwise, replace the gas cap, or
•Inspect the EVAP system for cuts/holes in tubes/hoses

I have replaced the cap which cleared the P0445. No cracked hoses I can find. Only leak I can find is the one from the device in video.
Old 11-11-2012, 10:37 AM

Member #12890
I found what the ldp is. Leak detection pump. It presurizes the system and is extremely complicated. Found the service manual online. There is more to this evap system than an average wrench can handle. If sealing this leak dont fix it. It is going in to a repair shop. I think the device that is not sealing is the LDP filter, best I can tell from reading the manual.

Last edited by Paul G; 11-11-2012 at 10:41 AM.
Old 11-11-2012, 03:23 PM
VIPER POWERED

Member #10997
I took my cap off with a hammer and chisel just be carefull

FOXHOLE RACING

Old 11-11-2012, 03:29 PM

Member #12890
This really sucks. The filter device, if that is what it is called, is not a removable item. No wonder it was leaking like a seive. The adhesive that seals it to the tank has let go. Napa, Oreilly, Rock Auto, Summit, no one lists a replacement fuel tank for the 10. Gotta check with the dealer tomarow. Or try to dig out the old adhesive and try to epoxy it back in. I hate to do BS repairs like that. Cant turn the ring that holds the fuel pump in either. Must need a special tool for that.