Go Back   Dodge Ram SRT-10 Forum - Viper Truck Club of America > Viper Truck SRT-10 Discussion > General Discussion
Home Forum Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Garage Mark Forums Read

General Discussion

Plugs and wires info needed

This is a discussion on Plugs and wires info needed within the General Discussion forums, part of the Viper Truck SRT-10 Discussion category!
So just found my passenger valve cover is leaking at the back. I'm gonna hit some maintenance while i'm at ...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2017, 11:10 PM

Member #15695

So just found my passenger valve cover is leaking at the back. I'm gonna hit some maintenance while i'm at it. I already ordered new champion plugs and valve cover gaskets. Next is the wires MSD or JTSVP? Do the MSD's fit in the stock wire holders? Ive only found the MSDs on ROEs website. Where can I get replacement wire holders? I'm pretty sure their gonna break..

Do I replace the coils too? and is the intake gasket reusable? I'm gonna try snugging up the valve cover to hold it off for a bit. I have new valve covers I've been looking for a reason to replace anyway and inspect the valve train. I'd like to collect all the parts I need after the holidays.. I'm gonna put a camera down all the plug holes too when I pull them.

1 valve cover gaskets (ordered)
2 CHAMPION 438 {#RC12ECC} (Copper) Copper Plus (ordered)
3 Wire set ??
4 Intake gasket??
5 Coil Packs ??
6 Wire holders ??

Old 12-24-2017, 12:25 AM
Striker Heads and Cam
Canadian VTCoA Regional Member

Member #6209
It really depends on the mileage of your truck, as far as replacing coils and wires. You can reuse the intake gaskets, as long as they are not damaged. Stock coils and wires work fine, even with mods. It's really up to you if you want to spend the $$ to change from stock.

Old 12-24-2017, 06:44 AM

Member #15695

Truck has 76k on it. Only a few mods. Exhaust and tune.
Old 12-24-2017, 11:58 AM
Striker Heads and Cam
Canadian VTCoA Regional Member

Member #6209
If you are not looking for bling, then I would stay stock.
Wifey likes this.

Old 12-24-2017, 12:12 PM

Member #15475
If you're already taking the intake off. Might as well upgrade the coils if you plan to mod more later on. Easy access. I'd adjust your valves while you're at it too, if you haven't yet that is. Idk how much playing cash you have at the moment.
Old 12-24-2017, 01:08 PM
Almost Senior Member

Member #15071
Quote:
Originally Posted by Far2Quik View Post
If you're already taking the intake off. Might as well upgrade the coils if you plan to mod more later on. Easy access. I'd adjust your valves while you're at it too, if you haven't yet that is. Idk how much playing cash you have at the moment.
What do you mean adjust the valves?

Msd wires do not fit the stock holders
Old 12-24-2017, 10:01 PM

Member #15883
Not for anything but just saying I had a drip coming from passenger side valve cover rear portion like the two bolts that are not visible anyways this leak almost tapped me out $$$ until I started digging around down here local guy down here Miami swore it was rear main seal but the leak was coming from up top one night with a led flash light I waited and cardboard flattened out very important by the way I saw the drip coming down confirmed following night then went back to the bolts in the back and sure enough they were so loose I could tighten with my two fingers now if your valve cover gaskets are leaking in different areas and snugging them up does nothing then yes change them but I was lucky I just did the two rear bolts and went about my life I also ordered gaskets I have 103000 miles on my truck so I guess coils and wires are next some day but I'm not changing anything if truck runs like a top which right now it does merry Christmas
Old 12-26-2017, 10:31 PM

Member #15695
I havent check the bolts yet it just turned to like 20 degrees here lol. May be all it needs. Its not a bad leak just enough to make a mess. It doesnt actually drip on the ground. I may just do the plugs for now and leave the wires and coils to the spring unless I tear one pulling the wires which would be my luck..
Old 12-27-2017, 12:18 PM
Supporting Vendor

Member #71
We do sell wires specifically for the vipers and trucks, but do not repeat do not run msd, they will break down on you
Old 12-27-2017, 08:16 PM

Member #15883
I did that also tore up I think it was number 7 but was able to repair the wire just pray that if you do tear or break any it's not the wires to the rear in either side because then most likely the intake will have to come up for new wires Oh and might as well replace coils when that happens