Go Back   Dodge Ram SRT-10 Forum - Viper Truck Club of America > Viper Truck SRT-10 Discussion > General Discussion
Home Forum Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Garage Mark Forums Read

General Discussion

Porting Stock Throttle Body

This is a discussion on Porting Stock Throttle Body within the General Discussion forums, part of the Viper Truck SRT-10 Discussion category!
Sooo i got to think... 1. I have access to a CNC Waterjet (and bunch of metal) that i used ...

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2015, 12:06 AM
Almost Senior Member

Member #14767
Porting Stock Throttle Body

Sooo i got to think...
1. I have access to a CNC Waterjet (and bunch of metal) that i used to operate at my old job.
3. Im a drafter and obviosly have access to Auto cad.
2. I have a friend of mine who works at a machining shop

Add em up and im thinking i can port my own throttle body up to a single blade. I can measure, design/draw and cut a blade with the water jet and have my budy mill out the extra material in the throttle body all for like $20...

Not that im a cheap a** but why pay 300+ for a ported throttlw body when i can get one done for a fraction of the price... What do you guys think? Can i remove the material inside the throttle and everything still be ok? Can i use the stock TB shaft?

Old 02-05-2015, 12:51 AM
VIPER POWERED
Northeast VTCoA Regional Member
2013 Viper Truck of The Month

Member #11418
Why ask if you can do it all. Try it and report back. Of course you can reuse the shaft. The jtsvp and roe tb do.

06 jeep srt8 forged 426, ported heads with edelbrock intake manifold. awd beast
Old 02-05-2015, 12:51 AM

Member #14216
I am a machinist also, and I milled out my throttle body. You might want to consider how much metal you remove, because it will affect the drivability of your truck. I only milled mine out until it was perfectly straight from top to bottom. Similar to JTSVP's billet throttle body. I didn't want to go too big without getting the vehicle properly tuned and leaning it out to much. But I also wanted to see how it would react first. Once finished and reinstalled, there was a faster throttle response, and a little bit of noticeable power, but not much. My only complaint is the idle surge I get when parked, or sitting at a stop light. Put that with a loud exhaust, and sometimes it gets very annoying. It tends to hang around 1200 rpms and won't drop. So before you go all kinds of crazy I would recommend trying some small modifications first before destroying you throttle body.
caveman likes this.
Old 02-05-2015, 03:31 AM
EU Moderator
Europe VTCoA Regional Rep

Member #13265
Hi, once you have modified your throttle Body, you sometimes can not run it without resetting the settings.

I have had the same issue with my throttle body, but once i resetted the settings and adjusted the voltage of the sensor it worked all fine.

All the best

Arne
VENOMOUS1 RACING likes this.
Old 02-05-2015, 08:29 AM
Almost Senior Member

Member #14767
Quote:
Originally Posted by sself510 View Post
I am a machinist also, and I milled out my throttle body. You might want to consider how much metal you remove, because it will affect the drivability of your truck. I only milled mine out until it was perfectly straight from top to bottom. Similar to JTSVP's billet throttle body. I didn't want to go too big without getting the vehicle properly tuned and leaning it out to much. But I also wanted to see how it would react first. Once finished and reinstalled, there was a faster throttle response, and a little bit of noticeable power, but not much. My only complaint is the idle surge I get when parked, or sitting at a stop light. Put that with a loud exhaust, and sometimes it gets very annoying. It tends to hang around 1200 rpms and won't drop. So before you go all kinds of crazy I would recommend trying some small modifications first before destroying you throttle body.
Very interesting... i am also thinking about milling it out straight accross. I tend to have the same issue with the idle! but its been too cold outside and im too lazy to investigate the problem ha... ive already replaced the TB and IAC sensor.. i think i just need a tune
Old 02-05-2015, 01:11 PM
Almost Senior Member

Member #14767
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRT2SLOW View Post
Why ask if you can do it all. Try it and report back. Of course you can reuse the shaft. The jtsvp and roe tb do.
Reason why im asking is if its actually possible to do so. I dont wanna mill out the inside come to find out that the material was there for some odd purpose and that my TB will no longer work. Just wanted know if anyone else has done and if its actually possible
Old 02-05-2015, 01:14 PM
Almost Senior Member

Member #14767
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arska2 View Post
Hi, once you have modified your throttle Body, you sometimes can not run it without resetting the settings.

I have had the same issue with my throttle body, but once i resetted the settings and adjusted the voltage of the sensor it worked all fine.

All the best

Arne
how did you adjust the voltage? Resistor?
Old 02-05-2015, 02:14 PM
Administrator

Member #29
If you do, make sure you have a spare just in case you have one of those "dammit!"..... moments
Old 02-05-2015, 02:33 PM
EU Moderator
Europe VTCoA Regional Rep

Member #13265
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinus19 View Post
how did you adjust the voltage? Resistor?
Voltage is adjusted by the small screw on the right upper side.

Below you can read the instruction how i solved my idling and shifting problem on my QC :

How To reset the shifting and idle with an aftermarket Throttle Body:

1. Disconnect all three PCM connectors for about 10 minutes. By doing this, you are erasing the PCM adaptive memory. The PCM is located on the firewall directly above and behind the passenger side front wheel.

2. Disconnect the TPS (throttle position sensor) on the driverís side of the throttle body. Ensure all wire connections are correct.

3. Disconnect the IAC (idle air control motor) on the air plenum located on the passenger side directly behind the air filter. Ensure all wire connections are correct.

4. With the PCM disconnected, make sure the throttle cable and throttle linkage is adjusted properly for wide-open throttle. The driverís floor mat should be removed as it can inhibit accelerator pedal travel.

5. After wide-open throttle is verified or adjusted, reconnect the PCM, TPS and IAC connectors after 10 minutes has elapsed from the start of this procedure.

6. Turn the key to the "on" position, but DO NOT start the engine.

7. With the drivers floor mat out of the truck, slowly press the accelerator to full throttle, then repeat. By doing this, you are showing the TPS (throttle position sensor) full throttle. Without this information in the PCM, it will not correctly calculate how to make the engine run properly.

8. Turn the key off then start the truck without touching the accelerator.

9. Let the engine idle for approximately 2-3 minutes.

10. After idling, drive easy, then progressively harder over the course of about 10-20 minutes.

11. The truck will drive differently during the first 20-40 miles because the PCM is learning the new adaptives.

Stolen from another forum years ago and it worked on my and other trucks !
Old 02-05-2015, 04:09 PM
Supporting Vendor

Member #71
dotn cnc the oem throttle body, it must be done by hand, only blend in the front of the throttle body, don't touch the blade area, sharpen the front section down to a pin and blend n the bottom, takes some time and you may cut thru, you will gain about 7 hp,and some throttle response,and to do it correctly takes about 6 hours total grinding blending smoothing