Go Back   Dodge Ram SRT-10 Forum - Viper Truck Club of America > Viper Truck SRT-10 Discussion > General Discussion
Home Forum Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Garage Mark Forums Read

General Discussion

stealership/chysler rant on wheel bearing recall

This is a discussion on stealership/chysler rant on wheel bearing recall within the General Discussion forums, part of the Viper Truck SRT-10 Discussion category!
My truck had to have all recalls done before it shipped from the states up to Canada. One being the ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2011, 10:48 PM
Almost Senior Member

Member #11650
stealership/chysler rant on wheel bearing recall

My truck had to have all recalls done before it shipped from the states up to Canada. One being the front wheel bearing... which my passenger front is extremely loose and squeals like crazy.

Dodge Recalls 86,000 Ram Trucks for Wheel Bearing Defects

Called the dealership today, and they said the recall was already done. (2000 miles ago, right before the truck was shipped). And there is nothing they can do. I asked them how in 2000 miles how a wheel bearing can fail, and they said I have to talk to whoever did the recalls or chrysler canada.

Phoned the dealer in Illinois that did the recalls, they replaced the driver side and "INSPECTED" the passenger, they said thats all the recall instructs the dealer to do. Inspect and replace "if necessary."

I phoned chysler canada, explained my situation and they claim they only have to do recalls once, and they can't do anything. I told them I don't care if there's zero miles on the truck, it's a recalled PART and I wanted it replaced. Not my problem if some 20yr old asshole said that the other bearing was fine, it's still a recall on that part. I also asked them how do you properly "inspect" a sealed bearing unit? The recall states that there is insufficient grease in the bearing... how do you inspect that?? guaranteed the mechanic spun the wheel, wiggled it and said it's good to go. Then I said, if the recall wasn't done, but both bearings were failing... would you not have to replace both right now? They said yes but at time of service the one bearing was fine. What the hells the difference?

So now that recall is listed as 'complete' on my truck, and I am fighting with chrysler to cover the repair. They were suppose to call me back today... and they never. I called earlier today and they promised me a call back under there "24 hour call back system".

I am lucky I have another vehicle as a DD since i can;t drive my truck... this just pissed me off how they are handling everything. The chysler dealerships here are shit... I knew that. But thought i'd have a better time with chrysler canada.

Is there anything a guy could as for to make it right? I think this is bullshit!

Oh and thank you to the member (can't find name in threads) that told me this was a recall!!

Build Date: 02/22/2006 18:00
Volant CAI
Magnaflow Catback

Old 04-12-2011, 10:52 PM
2015 Truck of the Year
Southeast VTCoA Regional Member

Member #3931
That sucks.
Guess I should see if mine has been done
Old 04-12-2011, 10:56 PM
VIPER POWERED
Canadian VTCoA Regional Member

Member #1200
what does a wheel baring cost? if it is not that bad maybe just do it and never go back to the stealership

04 SRT-10 -#1319 of #3057 Born on 3/17/2004
- Mopar Longtube Headers & Mids - Magnaflow Catback - B&M Shifter - BBK Throttle Body - JTSVP Oil Lines - K&N Drop In - Centerforce with Viper Slave and Master - JMB Catch Can - SCT Tuned by Torrie -

08 Ford F350 Lariat CrewCab Diesel
07 GMC Yukon Denali
Old 04-12-2011, 11:02 PM
Almost Senior Member

Member #11650
Quote:
Originally Posted by trubuilt View Post
what does a wheel baring cost? if it is not that bad maybe just do it and never go back to the stealership
420 dollars (hub, bearing, sensor)

+ 1 hours labor at I think 125.00/hr (i could do this and drink 3 beer in 30 mins)
Volant CAI
Magnaflow Catback

Old 04-12-2011, 11:08 PM
VIPER POWERED
Southwest VTCoA Regional Member

Member #2372
RockAuto has the complete hub assy. for $120+some change & with the 5% discount code, 31837632622695, its even less.
Old 04-12-2011, 11:12 PM
Almost Senior Member

Member #11650
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZCx View Post
RockAuto has the complete hub assy. for $120+some change & with the 5% discount code, 31837632622695, its even less.
Thanks man. I'm pretty stubborn... the right thing to do is to replace the damn thing. So I'll fight for that.
Volant CAI
Magnaflow Catback

Old 04-12-2011, 11:16 PM
VIPER POWERED

Member #2372
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZCx View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by evanandretti View Post
Thanks man. I'm pretty stubborn... the right thing to do is to replace the damn thing. So I'll fight for that.
i agree with ya they should be replaced in pairs.

if your messin with steerin or brakes, ya don't F$%K around with those.

if enough folks complan bout halfass "inspections" they might do something bout it.

but if it comes down to it, be sure to save your repair paper work. they will reimburse ya
Old 04-13-2011, 01:13 AM
VIPER POWERED
Canadian VTCoA Regional Member

Member #3202
Just goes to show the lack of care when dealing with automotive stuff. If I did this kinda bs in my line of work we would loose all our customers. Maybe try a different dealer that actually cares about there customers. There is always something called goodwill, I dont see why they wouldnt attempt that to get your business. But then again as soon as you are gone someone else will walk through the door, so they really dont give a shit.
2005 SRT-10 RC Yellow Fever #154/500
Born 10/12/04 at the 19th hour
JMB Turbocharged - 943 RWHP
Tuned by Chris Jensen
chris@christuned.com

1968 AMC Javelin SST
401 auto street/strip car

1970 Ford E-200
347 Stroker
Old 04-13-2011, 09:15 AM
VIPER POWERED

Member #278
only certain wheel bearings between a certain date were recalled. there is a date code on the wheel bearing, if it falls between the recalled dates the wheel bearing gets replaced.
At 86k wheel bearings can fail.
Old 04-13-2011, 09:39 AM
VIPER POWERED

Member #31
Buy the parts, do it yourself in an hour.

You will enjoy it, and not having to deal with the recall and warranty issues...sometimes it is just better all around to do it yourself, pay the money and be done with it. Kind of like taxes...I just pay and hope that I don't have to interact with the revenue people.

Maybe the dealership will offer to give you the parts at a discount...my dealership provides parts to me at a discount...they like having the SRT 10 drop in from time to time.

Roe Racing TSTM SC, w/Water Meth injection; Roe TB; Westech custom exhaust. Forged w/Diamond Pistons, Oliver Rods, everything Nitride coated, polished and balanced. Stinker Rear End with DTS 4:56 Detroit Locker, Cyroed gears, 35 Spline Strange Axles, Wilwood calipers and rotors, Caltracs. Sponsored by generous spouse, and Tuned by "The Viper Whisperer" Sean Roe.

John Edwards built my engine, as well as Ram From Hells' and TinyGiants'. Shouldn't he build yours?