Go Back   Dodge Ram SRT-10 Forum - Viper Truck Club of America > Viper Truck SRT-10 Discussion > General Discussion
Home Forum Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Garage Mark Forums Read

General Discussion

Surging at idle

This is a discussion on Surging at idle within the General Discussion forums, part of the Viper Truck SRT-10 Discussion category!
I've noticed that on occasion I get some surging and high idle (1k) if I goose the throttle a bit ...

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2016, 09:58 PM

Member #16021
Unhappy Surging at idle

I've noticed that on occasion I get some surging and high idle (1k) if I goose the throttle a bit and then come to a stop. It seems to last for a minute or more and then clears up.

It's an 05 QC with about 21k miles, stock motor AFAIK with exception of a K&N filter.

No engine codes or any other items going on but it's fairly reproducible and I'm pretty sure not a standard feature of the motor.

Anyone have any troubleshooting tips to start with?

Old 10-26-2016, 10:13 PM
Has Left the Room - Banned from VTCOA!
Southwest VTCoA Regional Member
Southwest VTCoA Regional Rep
2013 Viper Truck of The Month

Member #10675
Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyP View Post
I've noticed that on occasion I get some surging and high idle (1k) if I goose the throttle a bit and then come to a stop. It seems to last for a minute or more and then clears up.

It's an 05 QC with about 21k miles, stock motor AFAIK with exception of a K&N filter.

No engine codes or any other items going on but it's fairly reproducible and I'm pretty sure not a standard feature of the motor.

Anyone have any troubleshooting tips to start with?
Make sure hose from idle air control valve on pass side of intake to K&N is not kinked. Otherwise TPS or IAC needs replacement.
Old 10-27-2016, 03:20 PM
Almost Senior Member

Member #373
Quote:
Originally Posted by VENOMOUS1 RACING View Post
Make sure hose from idle air control valve on pass side of intake to K&N is not kinked. Otherwise TPS or IAC needs replacement.
+1

Its one or both them. Good news, they dont cost much to replace.
Old 10-27-2016, 06:25 PM

Member #16021
Quote:
Originally Posted by VENOMOUS1 RACING View Post
Awesome! Thanks for the data, I'll order them and post back with the results.
Old 10-30-2016, 08:51 AM

Member #14952
I experience the same thing. I've replaced both the iac and tps and still no change. Another guy told me he had the same issue and it ended up being the solenoids and governor in the trans causing the torque convertor of go wacky. I haven't replaced those yet due to winter coming but will update once I do.
Old 10-30-2016, 11:07 AM
Almost Senior Member

Member #15071
You could also check your tb to make sure its clean and the blades are not getting stuck. Also if its an aftermarket tb try loosening the bolts and re tighten them
Old 10-30-2016, 05:24 PM

Member #16021
Quote:
Awesome! Thanks for the data, I'll order them and post back with the results.
The TPS was available off the shelf so I just changed that, no change. So now I'm waiting on the IAC valve to show up.

When I do the IAC I'll check the butterflies to see if there is anything going on in there but from and external glance check everything seems "snappy", no indications of it being hung up on anything.

If I did end up swapping the throttle body are the 67mm aftermarket ones worth it or is that more of "make it pretty" mod? No other mods on the motor except for air intake.
Old 10-30-2016, 05:31 PM

Member #11773
Do you have access to a scan tool or code reader with data display? See where your voltages are at for the tps and see how many steps your iac is using. Could also be a vacuum leak and the computer is trying to compensate.
Old 10-30-2016, 10:41 PM

Member #16021
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbabody View Post
Do you have access to a scan tool or code reader with data display? See where your voltages are at for the tps and see how many steps your iac is using. Could also be a vacuum leak and the computer is trying to compensate.
I've got a bluetooth ODBII scanner, I've only ever used it to pull codes on a few other cars and to see if anything obvious showed up on this. I'll check it out on this guy and see if I can find the readings you mention.

The high idle seems to act like something is a little sticky, if I blip the throttle and let go quickly the revs drop to normal. If I run it up a bit a bit and then release the throttle a little slower it seems like it hangs around 1k and then drops after a bit.

I should see the IAC by the weekend and after I put that in I'll test it out and then document the exact symptom, if it's still happening.
Old 10-31-2016, 12:10 AM

Member #11773
Quote:
I've got a bluetooth ODBII scanner, I've only ever used it to pull codes on a few other cars and to see if anything obvious showed up on this. I'll check it out on this guy and see if I can find the readings you mention.

The high idle seems to act like something is a little sticky, if I blip the throttle and let go quickly the revs drop to normal. If I run it up a bit a bit and then release the throttle a little slower it seems like it hangs around 1k and then drops after a bit.

I should see the IAC by the weekend and after I put that in I'll test it out and then document the exact symptom, if it's still happening.
Have you pulled out the iac motor and cleaned it and its passage?