Dodge Ram SRT-10 Forum - Viper Truck Club of America

Dodge Ram SRT-10 Forum - Viper Truck Club of America (http://www.vtcoa.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (http://www.vtcoa.com/forums/f7/)
-   -   Surging Idle (http://www.vtcoa.com/forums/f7/surging-idle-67323/)

ZRT10 02-15-2018 01:41 PM

Surging Idle

Hey I've got an issue while idling. Two days ago I took it through an automatic car wash with under carriage wash. The next day the volts started oscillating at idle and it almost sounded like it didn't have enough fuel. Is it possible the wash did something to the fuel pump, or is this an alternator issue that's separate from the washing. It's like it is trying to stall. The fuel lines looked ok.

Two notes: Last fall the dealership had to bypass the fuel pump relay on the TIPM. Maybe its relevant. Also, there is a chirp very similar to what Erobins described in his thread posted on 1/17/18. I checked the (plunger?) on the IAC, it was black... that's about all I can tell you lol. I didn't take the throttle body off but it looked clean. This is my dd so I'm stuck until I can figure it out. Luckily I don't have to go anywhere really until I take the bar on feb 27.

Here's a video of what's going on. It doesn't really start until about 25 seconds in. Also it might help to wear ear phones. Thanks in advance for any replies!

https://youtu.be/AkBLWXxmHIM

Let me know if that link doesn't work. It is the first video I've ever uploaded to youtube.
Zach

Wifey 02-15-2018 01:46 PM

UGGGHHHH! Good luck with both your dd and the bar!!!!

shorty 02-15-2018 02:51 PM

I thought most idled at 700, mine does so yours looks to be way low on the idle. Water always makes mine surge but it goes away as things dry up.

earl lee 02-15-2018 07:47 PM

Stock idle is like 650. OP yours is idling way to low. I'd replace your IAC first and report back. The Viper v10 doesn't really suffer from to many issues.

I'd get an IAC from autozone, they have lifetime warrantys for them and the TPS. I swear mine seems to eat one once a year. I just take it to autozone and ask for a new one whenever it starts acting up.

So buy one, replace your current one and put the old one in the box.

ZRT10 02-15-2018 08:08 PM

Thanks Wifey! Definitely need it lol. Yeah, 250 seems pretty low, but I wanna say it has idled ~500 -550 for a while. I'll go by autozone tomorrow. Hopefully that is all it is and it'll be rolling by tomorrow night. I appreciate the help!

Wifey 02-15-2018 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZRT10 (Post 1311607)
Thanks Wifey! Definitely need it lol. Yeah, 250 seems pretty low, but I wanna say it has idled ~500 -550 for a while. I'll go by autozone tomorrow. Hopefully that is all it is and it'll be rolling by tomorrow night. I appreciate the help!

I have faith you'll get er done! :rock:

VENOMOUS1 RACING 02-15-2018 09:15 PM

You likely have an 06 correct? If so your gauge cluster tach isn't reporting correctly. They'll read a few hundred Low and Usually catch up along the sweep up. Your other issue is likely throttle position sensor. Common item and I do not recommend vatozone. Lol
Mopar parts will last another 13 years!

trussman 02-16-2018 08:18 AM

An autozone,oreilly's, advance auto, etc TPS is fine. My OEM one went out over 3 yrs ago and I put an oreillys one in bc it was 9 at night and I was in town and the truck literally wouldn't stay running. I kept saying I was going to buy the mopar one but here I am over 3 yrs later and it's still working flawless for 20 bucks. Even used their tools to swap it in the parking lot in dress clothes from date nite with the wife.

ZRT10 02-17-2018 06:14 PM

Thanks for the tips guys. Well, I replaced the TPS and initially everything was good (literally about 5 minutes). I also changed the oil last night because it needed it. Today I drove the truck about 1/2 mile and suddenly something started depressurizing with a spraying sound and then the check engine light came on. P0123. Two things at once, really.
Apparently, because it was nearly dark, I didn't check to see if the o-ring had come off with the old oil filter last night. I just put the new one on without checking. After the drive I looked at the old one and sure enough there's no o-ring/seal. So I think that is what was spraying. I really hope that's it bc I don't want to spring for new oil lines... or whatever else... right now.
Now, I don't know if this is associated with the P0123 code but the wire that links the throttle body and something above and just behind the transmission was melted and exposed by my headers. There are two - one goes to the vacuum pump underneath the battery and the other is the one that goes near the headers and transmission. Anyone know what that is and whether this is the cause of the P0123 code?
Thanks again! I appreciate it.
Zach

IronAffliction 02-17-2018 07:06 PM

Throttle position sensor that's the code