Go Back   Dodge Ram SRT-10 Forum - Viper Truck Club of America > Viper Truck SRT-10 Discussion > General Discussion
Home Forum Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Garage Mark Forums Read

General Discussion

Surging Idle

This is a discussion on Surging Idle within the General Discussion forums, part of the Viper Truck SRT-10 Discussion category!
Your chirp more than likely is due to that belt getting wet after the car wash unless it was before ...

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2018, 12:47 PM

Member #15883
Your chirp more than likely is due to that belt getting wet after the car wash unless it was before the wash the n start by taking belt off and spinning the pulleys to find culprit now with that being said my chirp started only after my power steering punp fitting the one on top took a dump and made a mess so I removed belt to clean and never put it on back correctly so it chirped for over a year off and on I finally tried moving it towards front of motor on water pump during install and it’s has not chirped since ...thanks to the member Welshman for the tip
THEWELSHM likes this.

Old 02-22-2018, 01:31 PM

Member #16494
Thanks guys. I replaced the TPS sensor and that is when the check engine light came on. For whatever reason the light wasn't on before I replaced the TPS. I also touched the battery cables on the driver's side battery to try to reset the computer. The passenger side battery has the negative terminal fused together with the wire, but I had taken off the positive (before touching the driver's side ones). The TPS code says high voltage, but I tried to trace the wire and it went under the intake manifold and snaked by the ignition coils. That is about as far as I could see and nothing was visibly wrong. Initially the idling rpms bumped up to ~750, but eventually fell back down to ~300-400 after 30 seconds - minute. Any thoughts?

Thanks for the response Erobins. Yeah, the squeak has been there ever since I had the power steering pump replaced in August. It chirps until the engine gets warm. Sometimes, but not very often, the chirping is in sync with the rpms - the chirping gets quicker until the next shift (auto), drops, then follows the rpms back up again. I'll go back and review your thread, see what info I can find. Ultimately I think a shop/dealer will have to fix that issue. It's beyond my expertise/tools.
Old 02-22-2018, 03:30 PM
VIPER POWERED
Southeast VTCoA Regional Member

Member #2161
Send a message via Yahoo to trussman
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZRT10 View Post
Thanks guys. I replaced the TPS sensor and that is when the check engine light came on. For whatever reason the light wasn't on before I replaced the TPS. I also touched the battery cables on the driver's side battery to try to reset the computer. The passenger side battery has the negative terminal fused together with the wire, but I had taken off the positive (before touching the driver's side ones). The TPS code says high voltage, but I tried to trace the wire and it went under the intake manifold and snaked by the ignition coils. That is about as far as I could see and nothing was visibly wrong. Initially the idling rpms bumped up to ~750, but eventually fell back down to ~300-400 after 30 seconds - minute. Any thoughts?

Thanks for the response Erobins. Yeah, the squeak has been there ever since I had the power steering pump replaced in August. It chirps until the engine gets warm. Sometimes, but not very often, the chirping is in sync with the rpms - the chirping gets quicker until the next shift (auto), drops, then follows the rpms back up again. I'll go back and review your thread, see what info I can find. Ultimately I think a shop/dealer will have to fix that issue. It's beyond my expertise/tools.
You're running dual batteries?
Old 02-22-2018, 04:51 PM
VIPER POWERED
Midwest VTCoA Regional Member

Member #13610
Quote:
Originally Posted by trussman View Post
Well ya know how light these trucks are. Could always use an extra 40#s up front...
Wildcard likes this.

mopar-or-no-car likes this

FUEL AIR SPARK JUNKIE.......A little too much is just enough for me!!!! Pic is of the car that started it all the very first viper as seen at the WALTER P CHRYSLER Museum!!!!
Old 02-22-2018, 06:23 PM
VIPER POWERED
Southeast VTCoA Regional Member

Member #2161
Send a message via Yahoo to trussman
Quote:
Originally Posted by mopar-or-no-car View Post
Well ya know how light these trucks are. Could always use an extra 40#s up front...
So true. I can't even keep my front tires on the ground taking off from traffic lights.
Old 02-22-2018, 07:01 PM

Member #16494
Quote:
Originally Posted by trussman View Post
Lol yeah. There were two batteries in it when I bought it last February.
Old 02-22-2018, 08:19 PM

Member #16494
For your viewing pleasure, here is the new squeal that just developed today. This is way more intense than the chirp I was describing earlier, but might be the same thing. Try not to throw up while watching - it was a little icy out tonight.

https://youtu.be/5D8bWh835BA
Old 02-23-2018, 10:24 AM
VIPER POWERED
Midwest VTCoA Regional Member

Member #13610
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZRT10 View Post
For your viewing pleasure, here is the new squeal that just developed today. This is way more intense than the chirp I was describing earlier, but might be the same thing. Try not to throw up while watching - it was a little icy out tonight.

https://youtu.be/5D8bWh835BA
Replace Belt, Idler pulley and tensioner. While you have the belt off you can check the alt by hand. It may or may not take care of your issue. However unless its been done already it needs it. Wont hurt to clean the pulleys, light steele wool works good. Check for debris in grooves...
ZRT10 likes this.

mopar-or-no-car likes this

FUEL AIR SPARK JUNKIE.......A little too much is just enough for me!!!! Pic is of the car that started it all the very first viper as seen at the WALTER P CHRYSLER Museum!!!!

Last edited by mopar-or-no-car; 02-23-2018 at 10:31 AM.
Old 02-23-2018, 12:51 PM

Member #16494
Word. That will be a great start at least. It's an absolute mess under there (95% my fault b/c of the oil filter seal, probably 100, though it squealed some before this). I'll get some wool, looks like local store has an idler pulley and belt- so I'll get to work sometime today hopefully. Thanks, definitely appreciate it.
Old 02-23-2018, 04:50 PM
Almost Senior Member

Member #373
Start with the belt first before changing all the drive pulleys as it is cheap. Just be prepared to cuss and scream as they are bitch to put a new one in due to the limit room you have to move the tensioner because of the fan.

I replaced mine with a continental from rock auto last month. https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...431796&jsn=419