Go Back   Dodge Ram SRT-10 Forum - Viper Truck Club of America > Viper Truck SRT-10 Discussion > General Discussion
Home Forum Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Garage Mark Forums Read

General Discussion

trailer brake plug?

This is a discussion on trailer brake plug? within the General Discussion forums, part of the Viper Truck SRT-10 Discussion category!
I'm going to pick up a camper trailer tomorrow and towing it with my rc 10 and I just realized ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2009, 01:24 AM

Member #10362
trailer brake plug?

I'm going to pick up a camper trailer tomorrow and towing it with my rc 10 and I just realized I'm going to have to plug the trailer in for the electric brakes. Apparently I need a 4way to 7way plug. I know most trucks have a plug right in the bumper for this, but ours do not. Is there one hidden behind the bumper? If not, how do I go about hooking up the trailers brakes? Need to know by tomorrow.

Old 03-13-2009, 01:36 AM
VIPER POWERED
West VTCoA Regional Member

Member #6
Buy an elecronic brake controller, Plug ,wire, try an RV place

Here is a good one, I have one, works well.

http://www.adventurerv.net/tekonsha-...ol-p-1432.html

Tekonsha Prodigy Trailer Camper Brake Control
[s097-968477]

About this product...
View Larger Image
Shipping Cost
Customer Reviews
Ask a question
Manufacturer's Number: 90185 $161.00 $89.99

The most advanced and intelligent approach to trailer brake controls! Easily and effortlessly stop your towed trailer without manual leveling while Prodigy™ constantly adjusts itself to the position of the tow vehicle. Self-adjusting sensing device allows for easy, flexible installations. Digital display depicts voltage delivery to trailer during braking. The "boost" feature gives you the ability to apply more initial trailer braking power when towing heavier trailers and allows trailer to slightly lead a braking event. Unit gives a visual warning if trailer connector becomes disconnected. Includes pre-assembled wiring harness, mounting bracket and pocket mounting kit. For 2, 4, 6 and 8 brake trailers.

"Life's tough..... It's even tougher if you're stupid." John Wayne

Long Live the Queen
2004 Red
997/3057
Stock!!! NOW 5,830 miles

Last edited by Wifey; 03-13-2009 at 01:40 AM.
Old 03-13-2009, 01:43 AM

Member #10362
The place I'm renting the trailer from is supplying me with an electronic brake controler. Is that all I need or do I need to go buy something else to make it work correctly?

Thanks wifey
Old 03-13-2009, 02:31 AM

Member #249
There are kits available that will plug into the factory harness giving you what you need. Most any trailer hitch company will have them. Heck your neighborhood Uhaul usually keeps them in stock. When I purchased my tow kit from Dodge it included everything I needed.
Yamaha XT1200Z
Honda Rune
Triumph 675
Ducati GT1000s
Honda VFR1200
Honda GB500
Kawi KLR650 x2
BMW R100RT
Old 03-13-2009, 04:38 AM
VIPER POWERED
West VTCoA Regional Member

Member #61
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRT102JZ
The place I'm renting the trailer from is supplying me with an electronic brake controler. Is that all I need or do I need to go buy something else to make it work correctly?

Thanks wifey
Here is a generic wiring diagram. You may have to buy the circuit breaker, black (positive) wire, white (ground) wire and connectors.

Then the wire (Brake) to the plug and I suggest a separate Ground wire (from the battery) to the plug. And then the light hook up to the plug

Check for an install kit as they are available for many makes and models of trucks and cars.

Durrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr forgot, there already is a light plug on the truck from the factory (at least the 04 Reg Cab does, I looked)
It is about in the middle beind the rear bumber cover, real easy to see.

This will still have to be wired to the trailer along with the brake wires though.
Attached Thumbnails
03-13-2009-01%3B18%3B27am-2-.jpg  

Last edited by includemeout; 03-13-2009 at 05:19 AM.
Old 03-13-2009, 09:38 AM
VIPER POWERED
Southeast VTCoA Regional Member
2012 Viper Truck of The Month

Member #520
The four way plug on the truck will not help, you will have to install the brake controller and a seven way plug, no biggie for any rv dealer or U-Haul store
Cal-Tracs, 4.56 gears Cold Fusion Nitrous system, Viper clutch hydraulics, JMB CAI, Catch Can,Line Loc Tick Transmission modified T-56