Dodge Ram SRT-10 Forum - Viper Truck Club of America

Dodge Ram SRT-10 Forum - Viper Truck Club of America (http://www.vtcoa.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (http://www.vtcoa.com/forums/f7/)
-   -   Voltage issue (http://www.vtcoa.com/forums/f7/voltage-issue-67225/)

ViperPete 01-15-2018 11:31 AM

Voltage issue

OK so here's whats happening.

If I drive the truck and don't run the heater/headlights/ stereo the voltage stays at 14v with the truck at idle. If I run the heater/stereo/headlights or any combination of the 2 at idle the volts drop to around 12v. Once i start moving the volts rise to 14v.
The battery also does't fling the motor over like it used to. I think my alternator must be going bad and that's killing the battery.

Maybe it's time to replace the alternator but I don't want to replace it with another stock unit. Does anyone know of a higher-output alternator that will fit our truck?

IronAffliction 01-15-2018 12:39 PM

Sounds like the alternator. Do you have a big stereo system or something pulling lots of amps? Of not I would just go with a normal alternator but thats just me

ViperPete 01-15-2018 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IronAffliction (Post 1310950)
Sounds like the alternator. Do you have a big stereo system or something pulling lots of amps? Of not I would just go with a normal alternator but thats just me

I have 2 amps. 3 sets of Infinity Kappa Perfect Components and 2 10" subs. I also have HID headlights.

Def want more output if I can get it.

sublimeswinger 01-15-2018 03:32 PM

That is plenty for a stock alternator. your voltage sounds right , even with everything running

ViperPete 01-15-2018 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sublimeswinger (Post 1310955)
That is plenty for a stock alternator. your voltage sounds right , even with everything running

The gauges and headlights dim at a stop light. That is not normal. It is not normal for the voltage to drop 2 volts with the truck at idle and to go to 14v at 1000 rpm or higher.

blazinsrt 01-15-2018 09:00 PM

I would look for a rebuild kit if they are available. Prob a lot cheaper and its not hard to do.

Slitherbeast 01-16-2018 12:21 AM

Could be a loose belt. Confirm your tensioner is still strong and not seized. try a new belt then see what the voltage does..

earl lee 01-16-2018 04:32 AM

What brand of battery you using and how old is it?

ViperPete 01-16-2018 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slitherbeast (Post 1310962)
Could be a loose belt. Confirm your tensioner is still strong and not seized. try a new belt then see what the voltage does..

The belt is pretty new. I doubt its the belt as the alternator performs perfect above 1k RPM

Quote:

Originally Posted by earl lee (Post 1310964)
What brand of battery you using and how old is it?

Not sure of the brand i think its Autozone brand. But it is at least 5 years old.
I'm gonna throw a new battery in it and see what happens before I look into an alternator.

JTS VENOM PERFORMANCE 01-16-2018 08:01 PM

you should do a draw test, and an alternator load test to be sure, just guesing is just that a guessing game,

but if you are running a couple amps, its more than likely having a hard time keeping up

get ahold of js alternators in sc, he has an upgraded unit that will work perfect for your set up.