Go Back   Dodge Ram SRT-10 Forum - Viper Truck Club of America > Viper Truck SRT-10 Discussion > General Discussion
Home Forum Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Garage Mark Forums Read

General Discussion

Winter project planning

This is a discussion on Winter project planning within the General Discussion forums, part of the Viper Truck SRT-10 Discussion category!

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2017, 01:51 PM
Southeast VTCoA Regional Member

Member #13686
Winter project planning

So, it is time to start thinking about winter projects and I was hoping to get some input as to what you guys think are the best options going forward. My 05 RC, 65k miles (owned it since 40k), is pretty much stock, has Magnaflow muffler in otherwise OEM pipes, UD pulley, K&N intake. Goals: continued reliability, a little more seat of the pants fun, maybe a crack at mid-13s in the 1/4 mile.

Recently completed: new ball joints, all fluids changed, tires.

Could/Should do based on age/miles: Coils, wires, plugs. Any other 60k pending issues? Worth investing in a caliper rebuild BEFORE an issue? Nearing end of expected clutch life? Front end bushings?

Wants/wishes: 170 T-stat, TB and canned tune. OEM air box and K&N drop in. Black chrome rims, black OEM headlights and smoked LED tails.

What am I missing or should I consider? Anything not worth it on my list?

Build Number #0590, 10/15/2004, VTR-0680

Changes from stock (for my benefit, not yours):
K&N 57-Series CAI, Magnaflow Exhaust, **Owner Swap**, JTSVP 1.75" leveling blocks, OEM aluminum tonneau cover w/ 3 post wing, JTSVP underdrive pulley, hydraulic oil cooler lines.
Old 08-22-2017, 02:26 PM

Member #14952
I would consider doing the calipers and the oil cooler and ps lines if you haven't done those yet.
Also, headers, catless and more than likely plugs and wires. Then tune.
I have an 05 QC and doing all the exhaust at once with a tb really made a difference. Probably be awhile before I do much more.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
StinkyLinky likes this.
Old 08-22-2017, 02:41 PM

Member #13290
Longtube Billy Boat or American Racing headers with no cats, or high flow cats.

Instead of a can tune, take it to a shop and have torrie remote tune it on a dyno.

Also, in my opinion, i have always thought that K&N's and JMB cold air intake was better than the stock "accordion" style intake tube.

Intake, Tonys Throttle body, porting out the intake manifold (doesn't gain much), longtubes either B&B or ARE, full exhaust with no cats, 170*Tstat, Tonys coil packs and wires, a fresh set of champions gapped at .35 and a dyno tune.
StinkyLinky likes this.

AJ
'04
Full bolt on, 2/3 drop, 4:56's +lots of extras.

Boost Coming Soon.

Old 08-24-2017, 09:24 AM
VIPER POWERED
Southwest VTCoA Regional Member
Southwest VTCoA Regional Rep
2013 Viper Truck of The Month

Member #10675
I'd happily set you up with a combo you should run low 12s with boss. You should do mud 13s stock. Nice coils needed. Fresh wires/plugs, Belanger headers, our SnakeBite exhaust , our mono blade TB, UD pulley, K&N CAI, tuning , and you'll be eating Camaros and shitting Mustangs
StinkyLinky likes this.

Home of the SuperSnake hoods NOW AVAILABLE! :
Venomous1 Racing Traction/Transfer Systems coming to an SRT-10 near you
Venomous1 Racing Underdrive Pulleys for Gen3 SRT-10 Viper Trucks and Coupes available now!!

** 1 OF 5 2005 SRT-10 Quad Cab Tremec T56
Equipped**
Home of the First and Fastest 6 Speed SRT10 Quad Cab...The VENOMOUS1

Your Viper Coupe and Truck go fast and appearance parts GO-TO guy!!
Old 08-24-2017, 12:09 PM

Member #13686
Quote:
Originally Posted by VENOMOUS1 RACING View Post
I'd happily set you up with a combo you should run low 12s with boss. You should do mud 13s stock. Nice coils needed. Fresh wires/plugs, Belanger headers, our SnakeBite exhaust , our mono blade TB, UD pulley, K&N CAI, tuning , and you'll be eating Camaros and shitting Mustangs
I ran a best of 14.1 at 100 mph in my one day at the track. Probably not launching hard enough. I will see what I can swing this year. Ideally your list looks great, but there is a house supervisor that has other ideas. Maybe limited to the spark system, TB, and tune. Have the UDP and K&N.
VENOMOUS1 RACING likes this.

K&N 57-Series CAI, Magnaflow Exhaust, **Owner Swap**, JTSVP 1.75" leveling blocks, OEM aluminum tonneau cover w/ 3 post wing, JTSVP underdrive pulley, hydraulic oil cooler lines.
Old 08-25-2017, 09:05 AM
VIPER POWERED
Southwest VTCoA Regional Rep
2013 Viper Truck of The Month

Member #10675
Quote:
Originally Posted by StinkyLinky View Post
I ran a best of 14.1 at 100 mph in my one day at the track. Probably not launching hard enough. I will see what I can swing this year. Ideally your list looks great, but there is a house supervisor that has other ideas. Maybe limited to the spark system, TB, and tune. Have the UDP and K&N.
Those dang budget coordinators
StinkyLinky likes this.

Home of the SuperSnake hoods NOW AVAILABLE! :
Venomous1 Racing Traction/Transfer Systems coming to an SRT-10 near you
Venomous1 Racing Underdrive Pulleys for Gen3 SRT-10 Viper Trucks and Coupes available now!!

** 1 OF 5 2005 SRT-10 Quad Cab Tremec T56
Equipped**
Home of the First and Fastest 6 Speed SRT10 Quad Cab...The VENOMOUS1

Your Viper Coupe and Truck go fast and appearance parts GO-TO guy!!
Old 08-25-2017, 10:16 AM
Almost Senior Member

Member #11268
Quote:
Originally Posted by StinkyLinky View Post
So, it is time to start thinking about winter projects and I was hoping to get some input as to what you guys think are the best options going forward. My 05 RC, 65k miles (owned it since 40k), is pretty much stock, has Magnaflow muffler in otherwise OEM pipes, UD pulley, K&N intake. Goals: continued reliability, a little more seat of the pants fun, maybe a crack at mid-13s in the 1/4 mile.

Recently completed: new ball joints, all fluids changed, tires.

Could/Should do based on age/miles: Coils, wires, plugs. Any other 60k pending issues? Worth investing in a caliper rebuild BEFORE an issue? Nearing end of expected clutch life? Front end bushings?

Wants/wishes: 170 T-stat, TB and canned tune. OEM air box and K&N drop in. Black chrome rims, black OEM headlights and smoked LED tails.

What am I missing or should I consider? Anything not worth it on my list?
I like your thought process on this "winter" project. I also like the KISS method. Utilize PROVEN mods that yield the best overall results and maintain headache free reliability. The "combination" should work together as a package. The good thing is we have a giant aluminum lump that can pump a bunch of air. All aluminum engines (properly tuned) like to run in the 190* range. So the low temp t-stat is not worth it. In the end when you improve the pumping ability of this lump, it will ALL be in the tune as some have stated. Even as you add these mods to a stock tune, you will be surprised to see that the A/F ratio will still be pig rich. (somewhere in the 11:1 range). I saw this on my Wideband O2 after fresh plugs (Indexed), wires, demon coils, BBK TB and a full, 3" manifold back B&B exhaust. I also run the stock CAI with a drop in K&N. You want to feed this engine as cool of an intake charge as possible. The ECM will pull valuable timing as the temperature rises above 104*. A filter sucking from the engine bay just cannot keep temps low enough after through warm up. The OEM set up will keep temps within or close to ambient at road speed without restriction. Now, even a "can tune" will be safe rich. I saw similar or richer A/F at high RPM with a Can tune and even lost .2 in the 1/4. Stock my 05' RC ran 13.2 in the 1/4. 13.4 with a Can tune AND the mods listed above. Bottom line? The true secret to 12's will be traction and tune. My truck really "woke up" with a tune around 12.5:1 and now runs 1/2 second quicker with a trap speed in the 108 mph range. (Stock weight w/ spare, Uncorrected w/ poor Arizona air)
Preserve your power UNDER peak and do not bounce this engine off the rev limiter if you want to preserve the valve train.
If your truck was mine, I'd go B&B manifold back exhaust with high flow cats, TB, full tune up with indexed plugs, wires and high voltage coils. Tune it with Torrie and pony up for a Wideband A/F gauge and KNOW where your truck is running. It will make a huge swath of torque that will be smooth and strong as a locomotive, headache free (emissions and engine bay heat) and very reliable. Then if your buddy wants to taunt you with his New 2017 392 Scat Pack Charger by claiming how beautiful his tail lights are, you know even from a dig, you can embarrass him to well over 120 mph!!

Have Fun... Cheers!

P.S. W/ your mileage, prior to your "tune up", run some "One and Done" through your engine. Especially if you do not consistently use good fuel like Chevron with Techron. This will get your 10 injectors and combustion chambers cleaned up nicely. The injectors will "atomize" better and more evenly to take advantage of your upcoming tune and make all 10 "air pumps" run in unison. Also be ready for your oil to turn dark as it dissolves all the combustion deposits and change it afterwards.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Gumout-On...20done&veh=sem
rbabody and StinkyLinky like this.
2005 Black RC Born on April, 22nd., 16th hour of 2005: BBK, JTSVP Gen II Shifter, JTSVP Under Drive Pulley, K&N Drop-In, Demon Coils, B&B Manifold Back Exhaust w/ Hi flow Cats, SCT Tuned by Torrie, RX Monster Catch Can, JMB QA1 "kicker" shock, Polyurethane Suspension / Sway bar Bushings, AEM Wideband, Raptor Shift Light, Dynamat Interior, JTSVP Oil Cooler lines, 70/30 DiH2O/Dexcool Mix w/ Water Wetter, ALL fluids Synthetic and a few "sneaky" aero mods

2000 ZX1270R, 200 H.P. / 111 Ft. Lbs.
Old 08-25-2017, 12:53 PM
NorCal SF Bay Area
West VTCoA Regional Rep

Member #14841
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirana131313 View Post
Longtube Billy Boat or American Racing headers with no cats, or high flow cats.

Instead of a can tune, take it to a shop and have torrie remote tune it on a dyno.

Also, in my opinion, i have always thought that K&N's and JMB cold air intake was better than the stock "accordion" style intake tube.

Intake, Tonys Throttle body, porting out the intake manifold (doesn't gain much), longtubes either B&B or ARE, full exhaust with no cats, 170*Tstat, Tonys coil packs and wires, a fresh set of champions gapped at .35 and a dyno tune.
Billy Boat's - check.
JMB CAI with catch can - check.
BBK TB - check.
Tunes from Torrie to put it on the floor - check.
StinkyLinky likes this.
Old 08-25-2017, 01:36 PM
Almost Senior Member

Member #11268
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6speedquadcab View Post
Billy Boat's - check.
JMB CAI with catch can - check.
BBK TB - check.
Tunes from Torrie to put it on the floor - check.
Now there is something I forgot to mention. A Good, Large Catch Can.
Keep the low octane, hot oil fumes out of the intake before leaning out the engine with tuning.

Cheers!
StinkyLinky and 6speedquadcab like this.
2005 Black RC Born on April, 22nd., 16th hour of 2005: BBK, JTSVP Gen II Shifter, JTSVP Under Drive Pulley, K&N Drop-In, Demon Coils, B&B Manifold Back Exhaust w/ Hi flow Cats, SCT Tuned by Torrie, RX Monster Catch Can, JMB QA1 "kicker" shock, Polyurethane Suspension / Sway bar Bushings, AEM Wideband, Raptor Shift Light, Dynamat Interior, JTSVP Oil Cooler lines, 70/30 DiH2O/Dexcool Mix w/ Water Wetter, ALL fluids Synthetic and a few "sneaky" aero mods

2000 ZX1270R, 200 H.P. / 111 Ft. Lbs.
Old 08-28-2017, 08:13 AM

Member #13686
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho1122 View Post
Now there is something I forgot to mention. A Good, Large Catch Can.
Keep the low octane, hot oil fumes out of the intake before leaning out the engine with tuning.

Cheers!
I thought catch cans were required for a forced air setup, not a factor for NA. But I've been wrong once before.