Go Back   Dodge Ram SRT-10 Forum - Viper Truck Club of America > Viper Truck SRT-10 Discussion > Performance Mods
Home Forum Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Garage Mark Forums Read

Performance Mods

3.55 or 3.73s

This is a discussion on 3.55 or 3.73s within the Performance Mods forums, part of the Viper Truck SRT-10 Discussion category!
Thinking of swapping out the 4.56s to the 3.55 or 3.73s. With the power I'm putting down now 900 rwhp ...

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2013, 03:30 AM
1800HP Club. And climbing
Canadian VTCoA Regional Member

Member #7
Send a message via MSN to SRT10VENOMOUS Send a message via Yahoo to SRT10VENOMOUS
3.55 or 3.73s

Thinking of swapping out the 4.56s to the 3.55 or 3.73s.

With the power I'm putting down now 900 rwhp on street tires first threw third are pretty much useless .. Any reason to not go that high a gear?

And next fall possibly a boost in the boost maybe up to 20 from 14.

04 SRT-10 Ram #849

04 SRT10 Ram - under construction

Old 02-16-2013, 08:18 AM
Twin Turbo, Forged

Member #2340
If you already have trouble with traction in 3rd, kind of ludicus to up the boost don't ya think? only think about buying a completed truck is that it is done already! nothing left but to drive it and polish. oh and scrape the rubber off the quarters lol

#993 04 blk RC 4.56 gears,Harland Sharp Rockers,3/8" Hardened Pushrods, PSI Valve Springs,,Striker Valve Cover Spacers, JMB catless mids,Magnaflow Catback, Torries' Tune,B&M Shifter,Stinker's Extreme Lowering Kit, Caltracs,Catchcan, Forged Wiseco Pistons,Molnar Rods, Clevite Bearings.Center Force Clutch,Cometics Head Gaskets,ARP Head Studs , Pioneer X950BH Double Din , Grants Steering Wheel .And the list continues......
Old 02-16-2013, 09:16 AM
VTCoA Ring Leader
Northeast VTCoA Regional Rep

Member #13138
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRT10VENOMOUS View Post
Thinking of swapping out the 4.56s to the 3.55 or 3.73s.

With the power I'm putting down now 900 rwhp on street tires first threw third are pretty much useless .. Any reason to not go that high a gear?

And next fall possibly a boost in the boost maybe up to 20 from 14.
How often do you plan on driving the truck? Did you think about going with a stickier tire before a gear change? There are very few people that have experience with what you're driving, myself included, but I would look at other options prior to a gear change.
My YouTube channel:

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEsMsFATkTJq3k-BM26PfAg

Follow me on Twitter and Instagram: Andysavakinas

#1357 of 3057 2004 Dodge Ram SRT-10 SOLD!
#2718 of 3057 2004 Dodge Ram SRT-10
#0851 2006 Dodge Ram SRT-10 RC SOLD!
#292 of 3057 2004 Dodge Ram SRT-10 SOLD!

THE FORMER BUMP KING

i love the cognac interior of the gen1/gen2 viper. if i could do it to my 10, i would!
Old 02-16-2013, 09:33 AM
VIPER POWERED
Southeast VTCoA Regional Rep

Member #1152
With that much HP it's still gonna blow the tires with a gear change especially if you up the boost.

Its a good problem to have IMHO
04' VCA #12
05' YF QC SOLD!
06' MG QC SOLD!
06' Inferno red RC SOLD!
05' YF #65 SOLD!
04' Black RC SOLD!
04' Red RC #2596 SOLD!
05' CE #34 SOLD!
06' RC Night runner # 392 SOLD!
06' Built/blown Mineral gray RC SOLD!
06' Mineral gray RC ''stock'' SOLD!

I've lost count at this point!
Old 02-16-2013, 09:39 AM
Boosted Venom
Canadian VTCoA Regional Rep

Member #2040
3:73 are a good gear, that what I'm considering on putting in my truck.
'05 Yellow Fever #366,Paxton Supercharger,Engine forged and built by AMS Engines in Edmonton! SCT,Mopar LT headers & catless mids w/Bassani catback,AMS wires,Viper badged,Evans waterless coolant,HTS Transmision parts & built by ACEomatic Transmisions

Tuned by Chris Jensen
chris@christuned.com
Old 02-16-2013, 10:10 AM
Supporting Vendor
Midwest VTCoA Regional Member

Member #595
3.73 and a real tire, 4.56 is an awful gear for that combination

We Build Worlds Highest HP SRT-10 Rams and more:
-Dom's Twin Turbo, Baddest Ram SRT-10. 7.97/183 and just getting started...
-Eric's SC F1X: 1077whp race/967whp pump
-RamfromHell's SC F2: 921whp pump
-700hpOdyssey's SC F1C: 950whp pump
-Braedon's SC F1C serpentine: 831whp 91 octane
-Anthony's SC F1C Serpentine low boost 786whp pump
-John's SC QC F1C Stock Longblock 626whp pump
-JMB's N20: 640whp pump (Fastest/Quickest stock motor/weight N20 only 11.30/119.7)
-Kurt's NA Cam/Bolt-ons Viper: 543whp/540wtq SAE
-James NA Cam/Bolt-ons Viper: 544whp/553wtq SAE
-Mikes TT 06 Viper: 1200+whp, 187mph Standing 1/2 mile
-Doms 98 JMB Procharged Viper: 869whp/859wtq pump
-Garys 04 SRT4: 640whp
-Kyles 05 SRT4: 571whp on 24 psi/91 octane
-Michaels 05 SRT4: 580whp on pump
-Logans 05 SRT4: 724whp on E85

Old 02-16-2013, 10:16 AM
VIPER POWERED
Southwest VTCoA Regional Member

Member #2372
with 22's would 3:90's be a good choice???
Old 02-16-2013, 11:34 AM
VIPER POWERED
West VTCoA Regional Member

Member #12419
I'm a little confused about your goal for the truck. Do you want to make it more fun to drive or cut a quicker ET?

Also, when do we get to see video?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARRESTmeRed04 View Post
This has to be a sick joke
Old 02-16-2013, 02:15 PM
1800HP Club. And climbing

Member #7
Send a message via MSN to SRT10VENOMOUS Send a message via Yahoo to SRT10VENOMOUS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slitherbeast View Post
If you already have trouble with traction in 3rd, kind of ludicus to up the boost don't ya think? only think about buying a completed truck is that it is done already! nothing left but to drive it and polish. oh and scrape the rubber off the quarters lol
Ya traction is a lil bit of a problem, but the gear would hopefully give me a tiny bit longer in each gear before hitting 6k,, the boot going up i dont think would change the street driving as I can bairly get into the boost as it is, so the higher boost would just give me more boost when I get into 4th or 5th or put the slicks on.. But I would not mind the potential of pushing 1200+rwhp in 5th gear on the highway if some bad ass viper or exotic pulls up..

Quote:
Originally Posted by VPRPWRD View Post
How often do you plan on driving the truck? Did you think about going with a stickier tire before a gear change? There are very few people that have experience with what you're driving, myself included, but I would look at other options prior to a gear change.
The truck will probably see 2/3k a year 99% on the road. I have the slicks here that might help but love the street look. And the gear in it now is a good NA gear gives you some extra go if your in lower power. ALso thinking im going to be doing the Texas mile and the higher gear would keep me in 4th and 5th in case we happen to get over 160mph " according to silverbacks calculations" is what the top of 5th would be in 4.56s... and 6th is not a gear to be feading 900/1200hp into..
but if we went with 3.55s 5th would take me to 214 although i would not reach that speed, we would not need to get into 6th .. and a 3.73 would get me to 204 in 5th.. so maybe the 3.73 would be an ideal gear .. top of the power band top of the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle's srt10 View Post
With that much HP it's still gonna blow the tires with a gear change especially if you up the boost.

Its a good problem to have IMHO
You would think so, but it almost takes away some of the fun of driving, in my original truck you can go out and drive it drift it and keep full control of the back end.. with this thing if your a micrometer heavy on the gas your sideways makes it hard to have fun other than straight line fun..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow venom View Post
3:73 are a good gear, that what I'm considering on putting in my truck.
you think a 3.55 would be even better for this set up? or 3.73

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMB Justin View Post
3.73 and a real tire, 4.56 is an awful gear for that combination
if i keep the stock tire for day to day would you recomend 3.55? or still 3.73.. I will put on the slicks when i go to the track 1/4 or mile...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZCx View Post
with 22's would 3:90's be a good choice???
I think thats still to low... the power in this thing is insane..

Quote:
Originally Posted by caveman View Post
I'm a little confused about your goal for the truck. Do you want to make it more fun to drive or cut a quicker ET?

Also, when do we get to see video?
Goal for the truck right now is to street drive it with insane amounts of power and be able to have fun with it .. so 99% street.. 1% track.. and im more interested in the MILE vs the 1/4 mile...

the way i see it is the 1/4 you brake things as you are launchg so hard etc... the Mile you can ease into it on the start and then get on it hard.. Plus after one event live at the MILE im hooked. Its 10x more fun than 1/4 at least for me it was..

Oh and a quick non video description of how this things runs

right now it goes like this.

driving along 1500rpm, 1st gear touch the gas 1/4 throttle and its almost instant reline tires smoking , less than 1 sec. second gear the same, 3rd pretty much the same but a lil better maybe 1/2rd throttle to get it that way.
then your into 4th gear where your going along nicely at say 1500rpm now hold the petal down and she holds traction until you reach about 110mph which on the dyno shows about 900rwhp and she starts to blow the rears off her again.
5th gear havent been there yet on any sort of throttle..

oh and video will be shot when i get her back from the shop, new power steering pump went it, the shaft pulled out of the pump somehow sprayed oil eveywhere, rear axel seal getting changed its leaking, and the passenger door is getting fixed where it got scratched loading.. So should have the truck back next week.. then ill get the go pros out.
04 SRT-10 Ram #849

04 SRT10 Ram - under construction

Last edited by SRT10VENOMOUS; 02-16-2013 at 02:20 PM.
Old 02-16-2013, 03:10 PM
Boosted Venom
Canadian VTCoA Regional Rep

Member #2040
I don't think you will have a problem pushing 3:55's, if your looking for better on fuel on the highway, I say 3:55's, but for
A little longer gear and still a pile of fun I would start at the 3:73's.
'05 Yellow Fever #366,Paxton Supercharger,Engine forged and built by AMS Engines in Edmonton! SCT,Mopar LT headers & catless mids w/Bassani catback,AMS wires,Viper badged,Evans waterless coolant,HTS Transmision parts & built by ACEomatic Transmisions

Tuned by Chris Jensen
chris@christuned.com