Dodge Ram SRT-10 Forum - Viper Truck Club of America

Dodge Ram SRT-10 Forum - Viper Truck Club of America (http://www.vtcoa.com/forums/)
-   Performance Mods (http://www.vtcoa.com/forums/f8/)
-   -   Catch Can Smoke (http://www.vtcoa.com/forums/f8/catch-can-smoke-64763/)

sublimeswinger 03-06-2017 10:03 AM

Catch Can Smoke
 
Ive had my catch can for a while now, it still smoke like a mother F'r, will this ever stop, really starting not to like it. Not to mention the moisture build up in the tube. Any idea how to fix this?

IronAffliction 03-06-2017 02:09 PM

I think its a common thing my catch can and my oil cap breather both smoke not a lot though. I get a lot of moisture in mine cant read the tube anymore drain mine at least once a week

mopar-or-no-car 03-06-2017 02:25 PM

The oil mist should be minimal. Even when hot you should only just barely be able to see it. My 06 Ram had just under 30K, had it since new. (Almost). My 06 Viper (28k) is the same, however it's easier to smell in the car.


You seem to have excessive crankcase pressure. How many miles on your motor? May be time for a leakdown..


On a side note, I need to get a sock over the breather on my catch can. The smell is enough to ruin a nice drive..

Wildcard 03-06-2017 02:58 PM

I have the same thing going on. Just turned 50,000. Engine runs like a top but constant vapor out of the breather if I am driving it, once a week clean out. I just figured it was normal.

mondragon-srt10 03-06-2017 04:05 PM

mine has the same problem i freaked out the first time i seen smoke but everybody insured me it is normal.

earl lee 03-06-2017 04:19 PM

Well there is only one way to stop the issue, you'd have to switch to a closed oil can system like the Monster RX one.

http://www.vtcoa.com/forums/f8/rx-mo...tch-can-63374/

Other wise enjoy the vapors.

rottenronnie 03-06-2017 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by earl lee (Post 1303176)
Well there is only one way to stop the issue, you'd have to switch to a closed oil can system like the Monster RX one.

http://www.vtcoa.com/forums/f8/rx-mo...tch-can-63374/

Other wise enjoy the vapors.

Right you are Earl.
I think a sealed system is the only way to go!

With a smooth bore finish, an S/S low-drag ring setup and boogety-boogety cam grind, mine used to smoke like a Mother; which after spending considerable time and money on a fresh-engine build, wasn't in the program. It looked like I had a small under-hood fire the way it smoked between the fender and hood waiting for a light to change.

And then there was that stink..

So I installed a sealed Monster RX system:

NO Smoke/Vapours
NO Stink
No Air Intake/Throttle Body Oil residue
NO Knock-Sensor action caused by low-octane oil vapours
YES on staying Cleaner longer crankcase oil
YES on collecting the crap that normally ends up in the crankcase or Intake

Wildcard 03-06-2017 09:35 PM

Looks like one of those monster cans is in my future.

sublimeswinger 03-07-2017 10:53 AM

83k on motor, Had a leak down and have a bad valve seal and rings.


Quote:

Originally Posted by mopar-or-no-car (Post 1303171)
The oil mist should be minimal. Even when hot you should only just barely be able to see it. My 06 Ram had just under 30K, had it since new. (Almost). My 06 Viper (28k) is the same, however it's easier to smell in the car.


You seem to have excessive crankcase pressure. How many miles on your motor? May be time for a leakdown..


On a side note, I need to get a sock over the breather on my catch can. The smell is enough to ruin a nice drive..


earl lee 03-07-2017 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sublimeswinger (Post 1303199)
83k on motor, Had a leak down and have a bad valve seal and rings.

On the plus side you have plenty of shops in CA that can rebuild your motor, so what are you going to do? Just a top end refresh or put some money into it?

When my piston rod bent, I just did a top end refresh and replaced the bad piston and upgraded the rod bearings. Mine caught me off guard, I planned to do a heads/cam package in the future but at the time the money wasnt right.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:41 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO
vB.Sponsors
This site is supported by its members, vendors, and administration. Vtcoa.com is in no way affiliated with Daimler Chrysler. Dodge, Viper,Ram SRT-10, the Viper logo and likeness are registered trademarks of Daimler Chrysler. The contents of this site are owned by Vtcoa.com and may not be used or reproduced without the express written permission of the Administrator.