Go Back   Dodge Ram SRT-10 Forum - Viper Truck Club of America > Viper Truck SRT-10 Discussion > Performance Mods
Home Forum Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Garage Mark Forums Read

Performance Mods

Cold air box for the Roe supercharger?

This is a discussion on Cold air box for the Roe supercharger? within the Performance Mods forums, part of the Viper Truck SRT-10 Discussion category!
There are a couple of reasons I decided to do this project, some practical, some cosmetic. Althugh I love the ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2007, 11:54 AM

Member #1738
Cold air box for the Roe supercharger?

There are a couple of reasons I decided to do this project, some practical, some cosmetic.

Althugh I love the supercharger, I'm not crazy about the Roe hood intake baffle/shield assembly. Not only does it detract from the beauty of the blower assembly, but if it actually funnels the cold air into the filter, it is then robbing the engine compartment of its share of cooling air circulation.

In all honesty, maybe this was a solution looking for a problem, but the bottom line is I had to get it out of my system, and now here it is, to the best of my knowledge, the first Roe with CAI box.

I scavenged a JMB intake elbow and cold air box, which I had to cut in order to fit the wider intake tubing. Used two 4" O.D. 45-deg stainless steel elbows, joined together with black 4" I.D. flex tube and stainless clamps. The transition to the oval filter intake was made with a 4" section of 4.5" O.D. aluminum tubing, shaped into an oval, and a black reducer boot (4.5" I.D to 4" I.D).

The Methanol injection nozzle remained in the bracket inside the filter, so the meth supply tube was simply rerouted. I figured the engine should be safe with the meth having to travel the extra 18" before going into the throttle body... besides the longer "dwell" time of the mist may allow for further evapotation and therefore further cooling of the air before going into the blower, but that is pure speculation on my part.

The PCV tube fitting and air temp sensors were installed on the rubber JMB elbow.

The front grill baffle on the passenger side was removed so air will flow straight into the box.

I haven't done much driving with it yet, just enough to know I haven't screwed anything up. I don't expect any noticeable performance increases, but at least I know both the intake and the engine compartment are getting their share of fresh air.

Plus, I think she looks purty as hell!!!

Old 07-07-2007, 12:01 PM
VIPER POWERED

Member #31
I too am put off by the Roe Air Flow box...have never used it...will give it to anyone that wants it...

Your solution is unique and creative.

Roe Racing TSTM SC, w/Water Meth injection; Roe TB; Westech custom exhaust. Forged w/Diamond Pistons, Oliver Rods, everything Nitride coated, polished and balanced. Stinker Rear End with DTS 4:56 Detroit Locker, Cyroed gears, 35 Spline Strange Axles, Wilwood calipers and rotors, Caltracs. Sponsored by generous spouse, and Tuned by "The Viper Whisperer" Sean Roe.

John Edwards built my engine, as well as Ram From Hells' and TinyGiants'. Shouldn't he build yours?
Old 07-07-2007, 12:03 PM
VIPER POWERED

Member #1
Very nice!

I like it much better....your right, it focuses your attention on the mods not the stubby filter.

-Red

Vipers of the world . com
Old 07-07-2007, 12:03 PM
VIPER POWERED

Member #9
Nice job.

I agree, I never thought the Roe looked all that nice the way it was. Not saying it was bad, but it could have looked better.
2005 Yellow Fever RC. #130 of 500. SOLD 1965 Superformance Cobra. 2007 Jeep SRT/8, Black
"A Proud Member of the Old Guard."
Old 07-07-2007, 12:09 PM
VIPER POWERED

Member #31
Ahhhhh, and I see that you are another "wrapper" of your headers...I plan to unwrap this winter and have the long tubes coated!

Roe Racing TSTM SC, w/Water Meth injection; Roe TB; Westech custom exhaust. Forged w/Diamond Pistons, Oliver Rods, everything Nitride coated, polished and balanced. Stinker Rear End with DTS 4:56 Detroit Locker, Cyroed gears, 35 Spline Strange Axles, Wilwood calipers and rotors, Caltracs. Sponsored by generous spouse, and Tuned by "The Viper Whisperer" Sean Roe.

John Edwards built my engine, as well as Ram From Hells' and TinyGiants'. Shouldn't he build yours?
Old 07-07-2007, 12:11 PM
VIPER POWERED

Member #4
Send a message via MSN to NBT
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRT-MIKE
There are a couple of reasons I decided to do this project, some practical, some cosmetic.

Althugh I love the supercharger, I'm not crazy about the Roe hood intake baffle/shield assembly. Not only does it detract from the beauty of the blower assembly, but if it actually funnels the cold air into the filter, it is then robbing the engine compartment of its share of cooling air circulation.

In all honesty, maybe this was a solution looking for a problem, but the bottom line is I had to get it out of my system, and now here it is, to the best of my knowledge, the first Roe with CAI box.

I scavenged a JMB intake elbow and cold air box, which I had to cut in order to fit the wider intake tubing. Used two 4" O.D. 45-deg stainless steel elbows, joined together with black 4" I.D. flex tube and stainless clamps. The transition to the oval filter intake was made with a 4" section of 4.5" O.D. aluminum tubing, shaped into an oval, and a black reducer boot (4.5" I.D to 4" I.D).

The Methanol injection nozzle remained in the bracket inside the filter, so the meth supply tube was simply rerouted. I figured the engine should be safe with the meth having to travel the extra 18" before going into the throttle body... besides the longer "dwell" time of the mist may allow for further evapotation and therefore further cooling of the air before going into the blower, but that is pure speculation on my part.

The PCV tube fitting and air temp sensors were installed on the rubber JMB elbow.

The front grill baffle on the passenger side was removed so air will flow straight into the box.

I haven't done much driving with it yet, just enough to know I haven't screwed anything up. I don't expect any noticeable performance increases, but at least I know both the intake and the engine compartment are getting their share of fresh air.

Plus, I think she looks purty as hell!!!

Very nice, I/we have been tinkering with the same idea using some spare parts here.
Looks like you beat me to the punch... let me know how much better it performs vs the initial set up..and did you have Methanol installed on your system...I did not see it on the CAI set up?

Last edited by NBT; 07-07-2007 at 12:14 PM.
Old 07-07-2007, 12:11 PM
VIPER POWERED

Member #1251
Hey thats... "cool" very creative. i was thinking the same thing!. was just wondering about some head loss through those turns..

Steve
Old 07-07-2007, 12:25 PM
VIPER POWERED
Southwest VTCoA Regional Member

Member #14
Send a message via AIM to Venom Power Send a message via Yahoo to Venom Power
I came inches away from purchasing the ROE setup last month but something about the filter blocking the hood scoop for cooling the motor and the idea that a VEC III would be used in the mix made me decide to wait and go with the Paxton at a later date..

Mike, (with the possibility of a rebuke) although you did a hell of a job to correct the "filter as the center of attraction" issue I am going to have to tell the truth on what I think. After spending so much money for your ROE I don't agree with you having to put together your own set up to remedy ANYTHING. If I were dropping close to $10k on this I would want it to be trouble free both functionally and visually without me having to put in an effort. In that case you should get some funds back for improving it. However, that's just my $0.02 and personal opinion so chastise me all you want.

'04 SRT10 PS2 Silver #1900 (4-29-04) OCT 2008 Truck of the Month
'07 SRT-8 300C Phantom Black (unmolested)
'12 Nissan Armada Jet Black on Black (family ride)
'15 392 SRT Challenger 6 spd, Pitch Black w Gun Metal Stripes
Old 07-07-2007, 12:27 PM
VIPER POWERED

Member #179
good job but personally I think the filter sitting on top of the blower looks killer
VEC II
M&H DRAG RADIALS
Old 07-07-2007, 12:43 PM
VIPER POWERED

Member #31
I don't think we are all talking the same issue...Mike was talking about hot air deflector that Roe uses to keep the hot air from lower in the engine compartment from coming directly into the air filter on the front of the throttle body...I too have not liked the look this created...it is not an issue with performance (yet) it is an issue of esthetic's...here is a picture of the deflector that I have chosen to not use due to "looks"...Mike has addressed the issue in a more creative way...

Notice the dust on my deflector...it sits in the garage...