Go Back   Dodge Ram SRT-10 Forum - Viper Truck Club of America > Viper Truck SRT-10 Discussion > Performance Mods
Home Forum Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Garage Mark Forums Read

Performance Mods

full exhaust and 93oct tune results

This is a discussion on full exhaust and 93oct tune results within the Performance Mods forums, part of the Viper Truck SRT-10 Discussion category!
Originally Posted by SRT-10 Ralph This is a very good post! After reading I don't think I need to spend ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2011, 09:46 PM
VIPER POWERED
Northeast VTCoA Regional Member
2013 Viper Truck of The Month

Member #11418
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRT-10 Ralph View Post
This is a very good post! After reading I don't think I need to spend the money on headers to go faster. I think for me I will just remove the mid cats & just do a cat-back exhaust.
Tell me about it. I just hope the tune can fix it. If not am taking them out .....

06 jeep srt8 forged 426, ported heads with edelbrock intake manifold. awd beast. Sold..

15 Hellcat Charger . 2.85 upper pulley with ati lower, Kenny bell bap, kooks long tubes, bwoody intake , tuned by hhp, full suspension, aluminum driveshaft, drag radials for everyday driving.
Old 05-14-2011, 10:09 PM
VIPER POWERED

Member #11052
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRT-10 Ralph View Post
This is a very good post! After reading I don't think I need to spend the money on headers to go faster. I think for me I will just remove the mid cats & just do a cat-back exhaust.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRT2SLOW View Post
Tell me about it. I just hope the tune can fix it. If not am taking them out .....

hold offguys, remember that the majority of the guys here think somethin is arye, and i shouldbefeelin more power. i would waait till i get this figured out for sure before you use me as an example of what/whay not to do. i still think somethin got lost in translation between my sct problems and there is more power to squeeze out of thesd mods,...but that is JMHO
Old 05-14-2011, 10:52 PM
Almost Senior Member
Southwest VTCoA Regional Member

Member #11268
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL06SRT10 View Post
If that's the case why does the mopar performance kit have a scoop that hooks to the hood and directs the air to the filter at the fender area?
I would have to ask if it was designed by the PVO team?!?

I doubt if they would choke off thier beast.
2005 Black RC Born on April, 22nd., 16th hour of 2005: BBK, JTSVP Gen II Shifter, JTSVP Under Drive Pulley, K&N Drop-In, Demon Coils, B&B Manifold Back Exhaust w/ Hi flow Cats, SCT Tuned by Torrie, RX Monster Catch Can, JMB QA1 "kicker" shock, Polyurethane Suspension / Sway bar Bushings, AEM Wideband, Raptor Shift Light, Dynamat Interior, JTSVP Oil Cooler lines, 70/30 DiH2O/Dexcool Mix w/ Water Wetter, ALL fluids Synthetic and a few "sneaky" aero mods

2000 ZX1270R, 200 H.P. / 111 Ft. Lbs.

Last edited by Psycho1122; 05-14-2011 at 10:55 PM.
Old 05-14-2011, 11:31 PM
VIPER POWERED

Member #11052
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho1122 View Post

If you evaluate the Volant CAI, it primarily draws from the scoop in the hood. Problem is, it is a low pressure area. Take some painters tape and start at the front edge of the hood and go strait to the top of the cab. The scoop is "Under" that line. Which means you get a draw (hot engine air exit point).

Good Luck and CHEERS!

do you mean go straight to the op of the cab or follow the hood to the bottom of the windshield and then to the top of the cab?, sorry if it seems dumb but i dont know the aerodynamics of these trucks. cus it would seem for the hood scoop to be uder the line u would have to go straight to the top of the cab from the front of the hood. if you followed the hood, the scoop should get a direct "hit", so to speak of air, and after say 20-30 mph that air woul not be "rammed in" but would be the coolest air possible for the scoop to suck in, making it a "cold air" CAI.

again, these are just questions and observations, i have no proof, video, dyno #'s, air tunnel/wind ribbon test results of any kind

as ralph said though, i think this thread is becoming helpful to ot just me, but others aswell. hope we can keep the goo info going and over time get more and more people who have headers and similar mods to post up with some of their findings and results.

thanks everyone, keep the info coming
Old 05-15-2011, 03:44 AM
Almost Senior Member

Member #11268
Strait to the top of the cab. The only high pressure area under that line is at the cowl.
2005 Black RC Born on April, 22nd., 16th hour of 2005: BBK, JTSVP Gen II Shifter, JTSVP Under Drive Pulley, K&N Drop-In, Demon Coils, B&B Manifold Back Exhaust w/ Hi flow Cats, SCT Tuned by Torrie, RX Monster Catch Can, JMB QA1 "kicker" shock, Polyurethane Suspension / Sway bar Bushings, AEM Wideband, Raptor Shift Light, Dynamat Interior, JTSVP Oil Cooler lines, 70/30 DiH2O/Dexcool Mix w/ Water Wetter, ALL fluids Synthetic and a few "sneaky" aero mods

Old 05-15-2011, 04:31 AM
Almost Senior Member

Member #11268

This is a car, but the point conveys. A Trucks aerodynamics are, as we all know, much worse. The reatachment point is near the edge of the windshield.

More info........

Vents and ducts serve many purposes on cars. They are used to direct air for cooling and ventilation. However, they can also be used to reduce lift and create downforce by relieving unwanted pressure differentials. Pressure differentials can occur anywhere that a fluid flow is allowed to enter an area that is difficult to exit. If this pressure differential contributes to lift, or reduces downforce, it is obviously unwanted.

One area where a large pressure differential can develop is the engine bay. The pressure differential is created in two ways. Firstly, as the air flows into the engine bay it strikes the engine, accessories, and firewall, stagnating and raising the pressure in the engine bay. The air flowing over the hood is moving quickly and is at a lower pressure, creating a pressure differential. Because the pressure below the hood is higher than above it, lift is created.

The effect is amplified by the fact that the air entering the engine bay is heated by the radiator and the engine itself. Buoyant forces (the same forces that cause a hot air baloon to rise) are created because the hot air has a lower density than the cool air above the hood. This effectively turns the hood into a hot air baloon, compounding the problem. The problem is again made worse because the engine bay is sealed on the sides and top. This allows the air only one escape path - down. The air is forced to flow down and beneath the car, increasing drag and reducing downforce. Obviously these conditions are detrimental to a car's performance.

However, simply placing a vent in the hood can help reduce the pressure differential in the engine bay, reducing the effect of these phenomena. This solution can be seen on many race cars including JGTC and DTM cars and also on very high performance road cars like the Ferrari F50, Jaguar XJ220, and Lotus Elise.

It is important to note that if the vent is placed too far back on the hood, then it may cross into the stagnation zone at the base of the windshield. If the vent is open to this high pressure area, it may actually force air into the engine bay, compounding the problem that it was installed to relieve.

However, placing the duct in this high pressure area can be used as an advantage. On older muscle cars, "induction cowls" were used to tap into this high pressure area and provide more air to the engine, making more power. For this to be most effective, the cowl should be sealed so that the air is forced into the engine and none is allowed to collect under the hood.

Our trucks cold air feed is placed in a high pressure area represented by red on this NASCAR body (Low pressure in blue)......

Remember, the Dodge NASCAR Truck team worked with the PVO team on our trucks.

Here is a link from Chrysler re; aerodynamics.......(See below the VERY interesting oil article!!)

Chrysler Corporation LLC: 7/29/07 - 8/5/07

Another from Truckin' Magazine..............

Understanding Truck And SUV Aerodynamics - Truckin' Magazine

Hope this helps!!

Last edited by Psycho1122; 05-15-2011 at 04:36 AM. Reason: additonal info....
Old 05-15-2011, 08:40 AM
Almost Senior Member
Southeast VTCoA Regional Member

Member #11873
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho1122

I would have to ask if it was designed by the PVO team?!?

I doubt if they would choke off thier beast.
I am not sure if the mopar cold air was designed by the PVO team? Does anyone know... Just doesn't make sense to me they would sell a performance product that doesn't help and in fact may hurt?
Born On 05/16/06 1:00am
479HP ; 517TQ
Mopar Perf. Comp. Coupe Cam w/H.S. RRs & Comp. Cams VSs w/Pushrods, Mopar Headers, Mopar Perf. PCM, Mopar (Borla) exhaust, Mopar Cold Air Intake, Bedrug, 170 Deg. Tstat, Speedhut Rev. A/F & Fuel Press. Gauges, JTS Billet TB, JTS V.C. Spacers, JTS Screamon Demon Coils, JTS Ignition Wires, JTS Catch Can, JTS radiator pipe, JTS SS Brake Lines, JTS PS Line & Oil Line Kit, & JTS Shifter#5 w/Pistol Grip & Tonys Magic Touch!
Old 05-15-2011, 09:02 AM
VIPER POWERED

Member #2372
& our trucks was suppose to have had some wind tunnel tunin also

Old 05-15-2011, 12:12 PM
VIPER POWERED

Member #11052
well someone could do som tests, like taking of the scoop attatchment vs. leaving t on. the Volant box i believe is the same as the stock box minus the scoop. u could just take the scoop attachment off tat blocks the duct opening.

only thin is the gain/loss would proly be so minimal that u culd chalk it up to any tin little change that has occured between runs. ie. temp, humidity, heat soak, tires, pressures, etc.

psyco has done a FANTASTIC job on walkin my through this and giving me the pertinent info i ased and required.

But lets get back to headers and sct's before this thread gets too far off track. i thinkwe have gone as far as we can with the CAI portion and its reguards to my setup.

thanks again guys
Old 05-15-2011, 12:34 PM
Almost Senior Member

Member #11268
There you go Geodriller, pick your "combo", intall the A/F wideband and work with Torrie.........Done.