Go Back   Dodge Ram SRT-10 Forum - Viper Truck Club of America > Viper Truck SRT-10 Discussion > Performance Mods
Home Forum Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Garage Mark Forums Read

Performance Mods

Handling

This is a discussion on Handling within the Performance Mods forums, part of the Viper Truck SRT-10 Discussion category!
I had my srt-10 out for a little 300mi ride and was not happy with how unpredictable and unstable it ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2006, 03:02 PM

Member #387
Handling

I had my srt-10 out for a little 300mi ride and was not happy with how unpredictable and unstable it felt at highway speeds, and maybe a little more. It has been a while since I have taken it for a highway ride but as fun as it is to drive I thought it seemed a bit sketchy at speed. Anyone else feel this way or maybe I am missing something. The only changes made to the suspension were Boomers lowering kit about a year ago. The original tires are good and the pressures were correct. Sure feels fast but ??? Thanks

Old 12-03-2006, 03:15 PM
VIPER POWERED
West VTCoA Regional Member

Member #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by WING TRANSPORT
I had my srt-10 out for a little 300mi ride and was not happy with how unpredictable and unstable it felt at highway speeds, and maybe a little more. It has been a while since I have taken it for a highway ride but as fun as it is to drive I thought it seemed a bit sketchy at speed. Anyone else feel this way or maybe I am missing something. The only changes made to the suspension were Boomers lowering kit about a year ago. The original tires are good and the pressures were correct. Sure feels fast but ??? Thanks
Mine is completely stock and we experience the same thing when we take it out. The steering is extremely twitchy. Others on the forum have mentioned the same thing. I don't think you missed anything. I have to agree with Silent D though, these things are NOT sports cars.
We dropped the tire pressure a couple pounds and that seems to help some. Mine has 4K on it now, and it seems to handle better each time we take it out.

Anyways, good luck and keep the rubber side down

"Life's tough..... It's even tougher if you're stupid." John Wayne

Long Live the Queen
2004 Red
997/3057
Stock!!! 5730 miles
Old 12-03-2006, 03:23 PM
Supporting Vendor

Member #71
Try and find a REAL GOOD alignment shop, I mean someone that does performance cars , or someone that has been at the same place doing alignments for 10-20 years bro.

The caster on these things are extreme for performance levels, a good alignment guy can take a remove a tad of this and make it feel ten times better.

Plus with as I have said a billion times as low as the kits put the trucks, it puts the tie rods at a very extreme angle. Look under the truck and look at them they should be perfectly level or close to it.

You need a bumpsteer kit, I would have one made but just dont have the time lately, maybe the first of the year I can get on it.

Untill you get this done..... it will always feel a tad sketchy...but takin some caster out will help from it being so skiddish.
Old 12-03-2006, 05:10 PM
TEXAS A&M DAD
Southwest VTCoA Regional Member
2009 Viper Truck of The Month

Member #21
i love the way mine handles,can't get enough

[
2004 RAM SRT-10 (SOLD)
2010 VIPER SRT-10 COUPE--- ROLL BAR,CATCH CAN,HALON FIRE SUPPRESION SYSTEM,HIGH TEMP MOTUL FLUIDS,
K&N CAI,CHROME WHEELS,DBA ROTORS
Old 12-03-2006, 07:46 PM

Member #387
Thanks, I will drop tire press a couple pounds and have my srt mechanic check the caster, he did do an alignment after the drop kit. I hope it helps, only have 3k mi on it so far. It stays in my garage the rest of the time. Thanks again and they are still a ball to drive..........
Old 12-03-2006, 08:34 PM
Southeast VTCoA Regional Member

Member #366
I did a cheap improvement on my nervous feeling suspension. I applied some thread locker on the front sway bar bushing rod ends and backed the nut off about 1 to 1 1/2 turns. I wanted the rubber bushings to be less compressed and take some of the feedback of the sway bar. I had to use a second wrench to prevent the rod from turning while loosening the nut. The rear on my RC has no bushings so I've done nothing there. I did notice on the new Dodge Nitro the rear sway bar ends are connected to what look like small gas struts. Stinker has a remedy for the bump steer which is more pronounced on lowered trucks. Those tie rod need to be horizontal. If you have stock tires, one or more are probably out of round and nothing will help them except replacement. Just my 2 cents.
Old 12-04-2006, 10:40 AM
VIPER POWERED
Southeast VTCoA Regional Member
2012 Viper Truck of The Month

Member #520
Just took a 630 mile trip in mine also, it was very twitchy with any irregularities in the road at all the thing would almost change lanes.
But I did get great fuel mileage (17.7) @ 70 mph with no a/c, better mileage than my old hemi truck. Mine is a regular cab.
Old 12-04-2006, 12:24 PM
VIPER POWERED
West VTCoA Regional Member

Member #61
2lbs less in the front ......4lbs less in the rear ( them door sticker 38lbs) is for a truck with a full load. When do you put 500 pounds in the bed, or have a full load of gas, or passengers for that matter????
Also noticed much improved steering after our trip to Bakersfield, 4000 mi and the steering components have finally broke in (steering wheel now has a little movement before it turns, before the trip it had zero play) twitchy's are all gone now
Old 12-04-2006, 01:38 PM

Member #387
Thanks again, as I said I will try dropping the air and see if that helps. What is this Bump Steer ??
Old 12-04-2006, 05:06 PM

Member #767
hey wing,dont know if this will help,but i have a quad cab did the same shit,lowered the rear 1 1/2" threw a sway bar in & its like a whole new truck,should have come that way from factory,anyway try frt spring spacers to adjust geomertry and alignment,talk to boomer he sounds like the go to guy on rcs,good luck.