Go Back   Dodge Ram SRT-10 Forum - Viper Truck Club of America > Viper Truck SRT-10 Discussion > Performance Mods
Home Forum Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Garage Mark Forums Read

Performance Mods

My first post! Compression test & oily spark plug question.

This is a discussion on My first post! Compression test & oily spark plug question. within the Performance Mods forums, part of the Viper Truck SRT-10 Discussion category!
Got an 06 SRT truck, and wondering if anyone knows what compression I should see. I am fixing to do ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2009, 04:05 PM
Almost Senior Member

Member #10773
Send a message via AIM to robwclark
My first post! Compression test & oily spark plug question.

Got an 06 SRT truck, and wondering if anyone knows what compression I should see. I am fixing to do a compression test because I have a few issues. Also the #1 spark plug has some oil on it, and looks fouled out. Anyone know what would be the most common cause of the oil in the #1 cyl? There is a paxton on the truck, but runs good. I work for Chrysler and picked this truck up as a repo a few months ago. The only mod I did was change the headers from Bassani shortys to a sweet set of full length American Racing Headers & Straight through mids & a custom Flowmaster exhaust. The truck puts down 620HP at the wheels on a dynojet before the Header/exhaust change. It has a few other mods too that came on the truck. Have no idea if it is the stock engine or not. The blower has been on the truck for at least 5000 miles that I have driven it. Thanks in advance for any help.

Robert Clark. Cleburne, TX. 2004 Ram SRT10. 2006 Body Conversion. Night Runner Wheels/headlamps. Original block now 530ci. Forged CP Pistons, Stroked Crank, Billet Mains, Crower Cam, Extensive Headwork. Twin Garrett Turbos, Water/Air Intercooler w/ Heat Exchanger. Complete Aeromotive Fuel System, Line Locks, X-Metal TB, Custom Longtube headers, Flowmaster Mufflers, Cal-Tracks. Dynojet. 93 deg on 7 lbs of boost it made 822 RWHP /856 RWT.
Old 06-25-2009, 04:28 PM

Member #4848
Sorry, I don't know what a the compression should check out at Someone will chime in soon on that.

Welcome to the forum Sounds like to you got a bada$$ truck. Oh, and post some pics
Old 06-25-2009, 04:46 PM
VIPER POWERED
Canadian VTCoA Regional Member

Member #345
160 - 170 range is normal for a stock engine, a few variables here... if it has a performance cam, it might be less...altitude is also a factor (the higher you are, the less it will be).

A leakdown test would be way more meaningful than a compression test. Hopefully, you will see no more than a 25% loss.

Oily plug could be from a bad valve guide or rings. Running with an oily cylinder isn't good. Oil vapors have a real low "octane" value and if it is detonating because of it or if your tune is off, or both, your stock cast piston may not last very long.
15.0 L/100 km. or 15.68 U.S. Miles Per Gallon
5600 pounds
11.88@115 MPH in "D" for Drive

No Power Adders
Full B&B Exhaust with (4) Cats
Unported Street-Striker Heads w Custom Roller
Unported O.E.M. Intake Manifold
FSTJACK Hand-Ported TB
MONSTER R/X Dual-Vacuum Catch-Can
A fully-built 48RE transmission that actually keeps working!
Tuned by Maestro Chris Jensen

Last edited by rottenronnie; 06-25-2009 at 05:43 PM.
Old 06-25-2009, 04:54 PM
VIPER POWERED
West VTCoA Regional Member

Member #92
Welcome to the asylum....

D

"Tact: the ability to tell a man to "go to Hell" and make him feel happy to be on his way."
Old 06-25-2009, 04:58 PM
Southeast VTCoA Regional Member

Member #10261
Welcome and Hello, Glad that your truck found a loving owner that is interested in fixing it instead of using it up and tossing it away..

2005 Commemorative Edition SRT-10
2006 Mineral Gray Quad Cab SRT-10
2010 Bright Silver 300C SRT-8

Sandy to my friends
US Navy Retired

Old 06-25-2009, 05:01 PM
VIPER POWERED

Member #436
welcome to the club.... ......bad news is your truck is a time bomb if the bottom end has not been forged....you may already be seeing signs of that...

2013 CHALLENGER SRT8 AUTO IN BLACK * LMI TRUE CAI * ARRINGTON STAGE II ALUM INTAKE* KW COIL OVERS * CORSA EXTREME CATBACK * MAGNAFLOW HIGH FLOW CATS * 3.23 GETRAG LSD * PARAMOUNT DOMINATOR 3800 STALL CONVERTER * SPEEDLOGIX LIGHTWEIGHT FACIA MOUNT * ARRINGTON 6.4 BASED 426 STROKER * 517 RWHP / 536 RWTQ * MODERN MUSCLE 87 MM PORTED THROTTLE BODY * COMP VVT CAM CUSTOM GRIND FOR ARRINGTON * TUNED BY THE HEMITUNER.....

Old 06-25-2009, 05:06 PM
VIPER POWERED
Southeast VTCoA Regional Member

Member #215
Welcome to the club,and what TNVIPER said is correct.
red qc born may 25,2005 11th hour. bedrug. billet seat levers. billet door pins. billet gas door cover. viper hitch cover. billet flame third brake light cover. egr headlight covers. Jmb cai.Jmb hard radiator pipes.Jmb t-stat housing.Jmb catch can.465 rwhp an 510 rwtq on 55 shot of nos
Old 06-25-2009, 06:37 PM

Member #1153
welcome
Old 06-25-2009, 06:51 PM
VIPER POWERED

Member #963
First off,Welcome to the best forum on the planet,
Second,I,m assuming that you changed the oil right off,I've seen a couple of engines,where the rings aligned and created blow by.Your best bet is to perform a leakdown test and take it from there,Also make sure that you do not have an injector leaking down.Could cause wash down to the cylinder walls,not to mention possible damage to the Paxton which is oil fed..
Old 06-26-2009, 12:30 AM
Almost Senior Member

Member #10773
Send a message via AIM to robwclark
Quote:
Originally Posted by rottenronnie
160 - 170 range is normal for a stock engine, a few variables here... if it has a performance cam, it might be less...altitude is also a factor (the higher you are, the less it will be).

A leakdown test would be way more meaningful than a compression test. Hopefully, you will see no more than a 25% loss.

Oily plug could be from a bad valve guide or rings. Running with an oily cylinder isn't good. Oil vapors have a real low "octane" value and if it is detonating because of it or if your tune is off, or both, your stock cast piston may not last very long.
Thanks for all the replys people. I am 32 yrs old and been doing majors mods to my vehicles completely myself since I was 16. I am much more familiar with the LT1/LS1 cars, but I have also had 2 Vipers in the past. I have always done my own work when modifying cars, but for whatever reason I have never had to perform a leak down test. How exactly do I perform this and what exactly will I be looking for? I know if the bottom end is stock, it may just be getting weak. Thanks.
Robert Clark. Cleburne, TX. 2004 Ram SRT10. 2006 Body Conversion. Night Runner Wheels/headlamps. Original block now 530ci. Forged CP Pistons, Stroked Crank, Billet Mains, Crower Cam, Extensive Headwork. Twin Garrett Turbos, Water/Air Intercooler w/ Heat Exchanger. Complete Aeromotive Fuel System, Line Locks, X-Metal TB, Custom Longtube headers, Flowmaster Mufflers, Cal-Tracks. Dynojet. 93 deg on 7 lbs of boost it made 822 RWHP /856 RWT.