Dodge Ram SRT-10 Forum - Viper Truck Club of America

Dodge Ram SRT-10 Forum - Viper Truck Club of America (http://www.vtcoa.com/forums/)
-   Performance Mods (http://www.vtcoa.com/forums/f8/)
-   -   Time.......... (http://www.vtcoa.com/forums/f8/time-5787/)

ViperJeff 12-17-2006 05:33 AM

Time..........

OK,

I've been reading about Mods for a long time now. I understand why people do them. I understand why people want them.

This is the part that confuses the hell out of me.......

Why in the hell does it take months to get anything done. If there is one thing that prevents me from doing anything, it is time......

To the folks that have invested the time and money into these mods, I congratulate you on the patients of a Saint, but why?

Why is it worth being without your truck for 6 months or longer for what you get. Are the people that do these mods just that slow, or is it that you all don't care whether you can drive your truck or not.

Just absolutely confused about the time........

Why is it that you drop your truck off and wait. Why don't these folks order parts then receive those parts and then and only then take delivery of the truck

Kill me now, I just may need it

Riff62 12-17-2006 08:22 AM

My guess is that most of the guys who wait months for their truck to get done have more than one vehicle, more money than sense,j/k, and the guys actually doing the build, if they know their stuff, are worth the wait. There are only so many good tuners out there, and with most of the big money builds, the mantra I hear time and time again is, the tune is everything. You could build a monster HP truck , but if you cant get it to run right, it isnt going to last long.

FSTJACK 12-17-2006 08:59 AM

To build a truly unique vehicle take lots of planning with an infinite amount of changes along the way.
I have been working on the my silver truck for 27 months now. Part of that has been due to the fact that a Viper tuner that I connected with initially did not do what he said he was going to do. I cannot comment further on that part as this is going to litigation shortly.

The chasis builder said 30 days; nine months later I picked it up. Not everything that we initially outlined to be done was done. The cage was not tied to the frame properly and NHRA would not certify it. So off to another fabricator to get that corrected after two trips to LA (NHRA) to get approval for the fix/correction to the tie in. Then another 3 months (I wa told 1 week) at the body shop to get the wheel wells mini tubbed. Then things have to go to the powder coater. And on and on and on and on.

Everything has to be made and very few do what they say they they will do.
Three different tin manifold fabricators have promised me a manifold to my specifications and nobody has delivered.

My advice is buy somebody else's project that is done already if you do not have at least 4 times the projected budget and 6 times the time you think it will take.
And get a direct line to God so you can ask for patience on a daily/minute by minute basis.

QuickSilver 12-17-2006 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FSTJACK
To build a truly unique vehicle take lots of planning with an infinite amount of changes along the way.
I have been working on the my silver truck for 27 months now. Part of that has been due to the fact that a Viper tuner that I connected with initially did not do what he said he was going to do. I cannot comment further on that part as this is going to litigation shortly.

The chasis builder said 30 days; nine months later I picked it up. Not everything that we initially outlined to be done was done. The cage was not tied to the frame properly and NHRA would not certify it. So off to another fabricator to get that corrected after two trips to LA (NHRA) to get approval for the fix/correction to the tie in. Then another 3 months (I wa told 1 week) at the body shop to get the wheel wells mini tubbed. Then things have to go to the powder coater. And on and on and on and on.

Everything has to be made and very few do what they say they they will do.
Three different tin manifold fabricators have promised me a manifold to my specifications and nobody has delivered.

My advice is buy somebody else's project that is done already if you do not have at least 4 times the projected budget and 6 times the time you think it will take.
And get a direct line to God so you can ask for patience on a daily/minute by minute basis.

As always Jack, well said........

Quick

1Fast400 12-17-2006 09:28 AM

Also this is a new truck. A lot of the big builds that are done now were the first of their kind. The truck is heavily bastardized from the factory with unique parts. I know some things that delayed me were totally out of my hand. The striker heads got ruined on the first two pours from the foundry, adding 8 weeks to getting my first set of hands. Which put the motor back just as far. The first transmission I had wasn't built properly and the converter ended up blowing on the dyno, set me back another 7-8 weeks. Those two things alone, put me back 4 months. Down went another tranny eventually, another 6-7 weeks. Now once all those bugs got fixed, everything was good, till the oil pump took a shit. Now I've found out how to fix that.

Jack is right, buy a modded truck or otherwise, you're kinda in the same boat.

KRAZYSRT10 12-17-2006 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1Fast400
Also this is a new truck. A lot of the big builds that are done now were the first of their kind. The truck is heavily bastardized from the factory with unique parts. I know some things that delayed me were totally out of my hand. The striker heads got ruined on the first two pours from the foundry, adding 8 weeks to getting my first set of hands. Which put the motor back just as far. The first transmission I had wasn't built properly and the converter ended up blowing on the dyno, set me back another 7-8 weeks. Those two things alone, put me back 4 months. Down went another tranny eventually, another 6-7 weeks. Now once all those bugs got fixed, everything was good, till the oil pump took a shit. Now I've found out how to fix that.

Jack is right, buy a modded truck or otherwise, you're kinda in the same boat.

I'll trade you mine for yours...Mine has RED on it's side!:D

1Fast400 12-17-2006 09:57 AM

Sure, just throw some cash in :)

KRAZYSRT10 12-17-2006 10:01 AM

Quote:

Sure, just throw some cash in :)

I got 20 bucks....and my wife says you can have the cat!:D

1Fast400 12-17-2006 10:06 AM

I've learned that taking someone else's pussy just causes problems.

KRAZYSRT10 12-17-2006 10:10 AM

Quote:

I've learned that taking someone else's pussy just causes problems.

Well, it wouldn't if I could just paint your truck RED!:p