Go Back   Dodge Ram SRT-10 Forum - Viper Truck Club of America > Viper Truck SRT-10 Discussion > Visual Mods
Home Forum Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Garage Mark Forums Read

Visual Mods

Paint problems.

This is a discussion on Paint problems. within the Visual Mods forums, part of the Viper Truck SRT-10 Discussion category!
The clearcoat is peeling in a few places on my 06 rc: -A small area on the front bumper, about ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2007, 03:38 PM

Member #2041
Paint problems.

The clearcoat is peeling in a few places on my 06 rc:

-A small area on the front bumper, about the size of a quarter.

-in black painted area (not the wheel wells) in front of the front wheels (part of the front bumper basically.

Also, I was at the carwash today and in TWO spots on the right rear quarter panel (right behind the rear wheel) the paint COMPLETELY PEELED OFF from the pressure of the water.

Everywhere where the paint is peeling is on plastic parts. I think the paint is defective. Would this be covered under warranty? The truck only has 7k on it. It's pretty pathetic that the paint is peeling off already.

I will post pics soon.

Old 08-25-2007, 03:48 PM

Member #2041
Here are some pics
Attached Thumbnails
paint1.jpg   paint2.jpg   paint3.jpg  
Old 08-25-2007, 04:01 PM
VIPER POWERED

Member #808
Send a message via AIM to Roz Send a message via Yahoo to Roz
Did you buy it new or used?

It could have had some previous damage you're unaware of if you bought it used. . .

If you DID buy it used, maybe carfax could return a report as to who fixed it, if it was indeed damaged, and any reputable place should warranty their work for a year.

If you purchased it new, DC should get it fixed for you, no questions asked.

Old 08-25-2007, 04:28 PM
VIPER POWERED

Member #808
Send a message via AIM to Roz Send a message via Yahoo to Roz
The dealer may not have been the people that fixed it. . .

Find someone on the site with a carfax account, or pay for a history report, and see who repaired the truck, if its even been wrecked at all.

There is no reason an 06 should be peeling like that man.

Old 08-25-2007, 05:21 PM
VIPER POWERED
Southwest VTCoA Regional Member

Member #14
Send a message via AIM to Venom Power Send a message via Yahoo to Venom Power
Chrysler is notorious for peeling/fading clearcoat on their paint, but I've never known of this happening with such a new vehicle. What conditions do you have her in? Close to salt water? Stays in the sun a lot?

'04 SRT10 PS2 Silver #1900 (4-29-04) OCT 2008 Truck of the Month
'07 SRT-8 300C Phantom Black (unmolested)
'12 Nissan Armada Jet Black on Black (family ride)
'15 392 SRT Challenger 6 spd, Pitch Black w Gun Metal Stripes
Old 08-25-2007, 11:57 PM

Member #655
There is no reason that should be happening. I would run the Carfax report like recommended. If it is clean, then it should be covered on the bumper to bumper warranty. Take it to your local dealer and point out the flaws. If they hassle you, then call Chrysler customer service and file a complaint. Here is the Dodge number:
1-800-992-1997
M-F 8:00AM-5:00PM

I read through the warranty book for the 2006 and the only things are not covered are intentional damage, stone chips, scratches, etc. I would have to say this is a defect if the history report is clean.

Good Luck
-Muzzy
SOLD - 04 SRT10 Ram Black- EBC Greenstuff Pads, Bassani Headers, Catless mids w/sims, Magnaflow exhaust, MP PCM, Roe Racing Billet TB, K&N FIPK, Line-X, B&M Short Throw shifter w/T-handle, RP in Engine & Trans, Lowered via Muzzy lowering kit, E3 plugs.

07 Caliber R/T AWD Inferno Red - RP in engine and diff's.

08 Durango SLT 4x4 Inferno Red - RP in engine
Old 08-26-2007, 12:02 AM
1800HP Club. And climbing
Canadian VTCoA Regional Member

Member #7
Send a message via MSN to SRT10VENOMOUS Send a message via Yahoo to SRT10VENOMOUS
ya someon else posted on this topic.. and as i stated in that post i also have peeling clear coat on the cab about mid way up the drivers window ... its 2 x 2 inch square... SUX....
04 SRT-10 Ram #849

04 SRT10 Ram - under construction

Old 08-26-2007, 12:15 AM
VIPER POWERED

Member #807
I have had this happen before and the dealer repainted the problem area under warranty. So It should be covered under warranty
Old 08-26-2007, 12:35 AM

Member #2041
I did a big burnout the other day and I think I might have had a couple of paint chips behind the wheel (where the paint's now peeling). Still, that's no reason for the paint to COMPLETELY come off in that area. I mean, it's down to the black plastic. It seems like the paint didn't adhere to the plastic very well.

I detailed the truck today, and I painted the wheel-wells. I do that on all my vehicles. Anyway, one of the other areas where the clearcoat was peeling was on those little black triangular plastic pieces on the outside of the front wheel wells, closest to the front end. Normally I wouldn't paint those, but today I did. When I taped the wheel wells off, I just left those pieces exposed. I then roughed them up so that there wasn't any loose, peeling clearcoat left. Sprayed them black and they came out awesome. So, at least that problem is solved now.

The worst, and most unexplainable is the small area that's peeling on the front bumper. The only thing I can think of is faulty paint. There's a lot of painted plastic on this truck, and it seems like Dodge used a shitty paint. The body is very straight, so either the truck was never wrecked or if it was, they did a damn good job of fixing it.

I think I need a carfax to be sure of what I'm dealing with here. At any rate, painting 2 plastic pieces shouldn't be a big deal. BUT a paint chip shouldn't peel away like that under the force of a car wash spray gun. That's for sure.
Old 08-26-2007, 12:40 AM

Member #2041
At any rate, here is a nice pic of my truck all cleaned up. Too bad it rained right after I cleaned it. I love Pennsylvania.
Attached Thumbnails
0825071956a.jpg