Clutch Problem

Maddbeaver

Reaction score
Having an issue with my clutch. I searched previous threads, but couldn't find anything like what happened to me the other day.

Before this happened I did experience some wierdness in the clutch earlier this week. Was driving and the clutch was feeling spongy. Put the truck in reverse and if I didn't hold it in gear, it would kick out of gear. Checked my fluid and almost none in there. Refill and seems to be normal. Was going to check back in a couple days to see if I had a leak. Well, before I could, I get in the truck yesterday morning and the clutch goes straight to the floor with zero resistance. Start it up and it won't go in gear. Turn it off and I can get it into gear. I can start it in gear and it goes which tells me it isn't the clutch itself.:dontknow: Was wondering if I have a master/slave issue. :dontknow: Checked fluid and it is still topped off. Anyways, was wondering if anyone else had run into this. I have replaced the clutch once already, stock for stock, but didn't do the master.slave at that time. I have read on here that some have swapped their's for the metal Viper stlye master.

yup mine went last week so I am doing the clutch and slave this week. Shitty slave to begin with. Viper slave is 179.00 at clutchcity.com

Yeah, I just tooled around the block in it to see if I could drive it without feeling like I was going to wreck it and to see where the RPMs matched for shifting. Got back and parked it and saw a puddle in the drive where it was. Checked the fluid again and it was bone dry. Thinking I got a leaky master. :dontknow:

Sounds like a slave cylinder to me ...... Been there, Done that ....

Did the same thing as DevilDawg .... Change it all ... Did a new stock flywheel as well.

dude...this is the first time i've met somebody who has had the same prob i did...if i was a betting man...and i am...it's the slave cylinder for sure...mine went out just out of the blue one day...no clutch feeling weird or anything...i will say, it could have got me killed!!!...i was sittin at t red light, first one to go...still red, and the truck just lurched forward into the road about a half a truck...my foot was on the clutch waiting for the light to change and it just chattered a few good times, and then fluid was everywhere...if somebody would have been coming through at that moment, ida been a damn hood ornament!...absolutely bizarre experience...

Actualy my clutch blew apart literally, the flywheel is good and the slave was actually fine but since I have the new best to change it now. very easy job, this is one of the easiest trucks to work on.

love my "updated" clutch.:rock: :burnout: :rock: :burnout:
ya have to change out the master cylinder also with the Viper throw out bearin & shims
:rock: :rock: :rock:

Well, I was away for the weekend and got up under it this morning. Pumping the clutch resulted in fluid leaking out of the housing, so I figured it was the slave. Replaced it and bled it so now it goes into gear, but still a lot of play in the clutch. Probably have to bleed it again, but at least I can drive it now.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back