sts

nightrunner mike

Reaction score
so who can point me in the right direction??? I have seemed to make a big mistake by purchasing a sts turbo for my truck. Little did i know of all the nightmares that this combination can make. I love the truck and i love the turbo i just wish they could live together in harmony if you know what i mean. So if anyone can help me i would appreciate it!! Thanks in advance

Welcome to the RBC!!!! I think Stinker has a STS:dontknow: He's on the road alot but maybe he'll chime in. Oh and you need to post some pics of your truck!!!:needpics:

Stinker has a custom twin turbo setup. It's nothing like the STS. The one you want to talk to is Flyinglow. I don't know for sure if he's still running his or not.

Nope Stinker does not have the STS. Flyinglow does. If I were you I would sell it before your motor goes boom.

And welcome to the RBC

SilvrSRT10 said:
Stinker has a custom twin turbo setup. It's nothing like the STS. The one you want to talk to is Flyinglow. I don't know for sure if he's still running his or not.
You beat me to the setups:D

Again.....

It's just bad, and booooom is the only thing in your future.

VJ

nightrunner mike said:
so what about building the engine?? any thought to that to keep it from going boom???
If I remember right it is more of a tuning issue and very hard to get right.

There is just something about the STS that doesn't seem to play well with our engines. #3 cylinder is often the soft spot. Flyinglow had a close call not too long ago. He has a tune that runs real rich as protection to keep it from going lean. You should talk to him to get his experience.

guess ur still in denial ,u posted on the othersite already and everyone told u to get rid of it,so why not listen!

yes i am still in denial,,,, wouldnt you be if you just realized you wasted a whole lot of money for a p.o.s that is just setting in the garage??

talk to flyinglow........ i think he's the only one running sts anymore..... he's had issues on #3 cylinder, don't recall if it was related......... i remember him working with roe to help stablize his, he could give you his insights........:dontknow:

You know my opinion...and you are in denial.

Sell it now...if you tell people here what you said on the other site about the problems you have had, they will tell you that Boom is all you have to look forward to.

I told you before, and now you come here looking for another answer. You have made a mistake...man up.

Roy

nightrunner mike said:
so what about building the engine?? any thought to that to keep it from going boom???

Phil (Big Asp) tried the STS on a stock motor and it blew up on the dyno. He then built a mega buck engine thinking it would hold up. It blew up on the dyno too.

In regard to using the STS on one of these trucks, it's just a matter of time.

I don't know much about turbos, but there are a couple of things said that I would kinda dissagree with.

First, if it is really a POS, don't sell it. You made a mistake and all you would be doing is screwing another SRT-10 owner just like you got screwed.

That said, just because some tried it and could not make it work doesn't mean it is a POS, it just means they sucked and getting it set up right. Check out the thread:
http://www.vtcoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17166

Just look at the size of that single turbo... if someone could find a proper way to safely tune that monster, somebody CAN find a proper way to safely tune your STS. Functionally, how different can the hardware be, its just a turbo, a wastegate, and a bunch of pipe, right? Its all about the program, making sure none of the cylinders are leaning out or making sure the wastegate reacts before you overpeak the psi. Someone mentioned the #3 cylinder, well, that has nothing to do with the turbo, obviously other turbo setups have learned to overcome the problem.

If you're an aventurous soul, do your research, find an above average tuner, and be the first one to have a killer setup with an STS!!!

Disclaimer: If it was me I'd sell it

(Just kidding dude, I really hope you decide to stick this one out and dismount the STS myth)

hey mike thanks for the {BOOST} of confidence. I told sts that i would ship the truck to them and let them figure it out so i am still waiting to hear back from them. I have contacted a couple other people tuners who said they can make it work i guess it is just gonna take more cash than i had wanted to put into this project, but hey what ya gonna do? Keep in touch

nightrunner mike said:
so who can point me in the right direction??? I have seemed to make a big mistake by purchasing a sts turbo for my truck. Little did i know of all the nightmares that this combination can make. I love the truck and i love the turbo i just wish they could live together in harmony if you know what i mean. So if anyone can help me i would appreciate it!! Thanks in advance

As you will read,there's a lot of horror stories about the STS kits on our trucks !!!I AM NOT A MECHANIC,but give Marty at KRC Perfomance a call and listen to what he has to say !!!He is currently working on a 10,and it sounds like he knows what he's doing !!!Give him a call !!!

http://www.krcperformance.com/krc/

Bad info Mike.

The STS design is different. The plumbing is not done like the one 505 just did. The problem the STS had was at least 2 fold as I understood it. The tune in the program was not even uploaded in some of the early models. The second problem was one of overboost. In many applications the, the actual boost was much greater than the what the system thought. This was due again to the plumbing design. STS uses an auxiliary fuel injector. This route makes it difficult to meter the fuel curve. This lead to an uneven distribution of the fuel and air mixture. The # 3 cylinder is the result. In the successful systems the injectors are replaced with larger ones. The entire fuel system is used to augment the needs of the boost. The VEC 3 was used in the latest creation to control how much fuel was injected.

So the STS needs a lot more than just a tune. But hey it is not my engine. If he wants to experiment with a $10,000.00 (ebay) engine to save a few grand on a poor purchase, maybe Hennesey can install it for him.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back