Pistol Grip Shifter

Begood

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone check this out. I took a 1970 Chrysler B-body non-console Pistol Grip shifter handle, and mounted it on Boomers Gen I shifter (it will mount on any of Boomer's shifters). What do you think, I did have to cut it down some, and drill new holes, but it fits and shifts perfectly. Damn, this was the comfort I was looking for ever since I got my truck. What do you think?

Bill.

Veeeeeeeeeeeeery Niiiiiiiiiiiiiice

looks like it was meant that way

Jeff

That looks pretty sweet dude!!:rock:

If I didn't already pay for a new RipStick from BOOM BOOM, I might ask ya to hook me up with one! (I'd pay you of course.;)

Now, if I snap another RipStick, I'll have to dig up this thread!:D

I thought about that also!! Looks great!!! I was worried about dash bang like ol days!!
Great job!!

Hamrhead said:
That looks pretty sweet dude!!:rock:

If I didn't already pay for a new RipStick from BOOM BOOM, I might ask ya to hook me up with one! (I'd pay you of course.;)

Now, if I snap another RipStick, I'll have to dig up this thread!:D

www.pistolgrip727.com Amoparman and I both bought pistol grips last year at the Nats from this guy. He has them for several different applications and several different handles, wood grain,carbon fiber,black. Top of the line quality. Best feeling shifter handle I have ever shifted.

Begood said:
Hey everyone check this out. I took a 1970 Chrysler B-body non-console Pistol Grip shifter handle, and mounted it on Boomers Gen I shifter (it will mount on any of Boomer's shifters). What do you think, I did have to cut it down some, and drill new holes, but it fits and shifts perfectly. Damn, this was the comfort I was looking for ever since I got my truck. What do you think?

Bill.
Looks awesome Bill, and how much change you got in that console :dontknow: :D

Enough for hitting all the toll booths in Orlando.:D

Bill.

Begood said:
Enough for hitting all the toll booths in Orlando.:D

Bill.
Still looks awesome, aren't you from MI ;) :D

i was gonna mention it but mopower beat me to it i bought one too for a auto in carbon fiber, looks way cool, he can probably hook you up the the shift pattern for the top of it too.

I am probably going to get the carbon fibre grips, and the 6-speed top. This one however is a real 1970 pistol grip from a Road Runner, I have had it since the mid 70s.

Bill.

mopower1958 said:
www.pistolgrip727.com Amoparman and I both bought pistol grips last year at the Nats from this guy. He has them for several different applications and several different handles, wood grain,carbon fiber,black. Top of the line quality. Best feeling shifter handle I have ever shifted.

I just checked out their website but could not find a complete pic of what you bought. Can you post a pic of yours and what they cost? Thanks.

Bill, that looks awesome bro. Really nice. Thanks for sharing the pics.

patrick

I'm not sure what Mopower bought, but I believe Stretch bought the Pistol Grip handle that fits ths stock Hurst shifter. I know Gunslingers will make what you want, just trace out the shape you want, and they can make it. I hope this helps.

Bill.

I have the gunslinger pistol grip shifter in my truck with carbon fiber grips. he makes them to fit the stock mount with rubber, but he also includes two spacers to mount solid without the rubber. I bought one of the first ones and i broke it off, called him and sent it back. he sent me a new one with new grips and all. exelent person to do bissness with.
oh ya, i never miss miss shifts anymore

streetwedg

Yes, I got the Gunslinger handle at last years NATS. I got it for $250. That's what the selling price was then. The web site isn't the best yet, and I don't think he has updated it in over a year.

Here are a few pictures:

Shifter installed with the plastic carbon fiber grips:
DSC02233.jpg

No, the handle does not hit the seat. Just looks like it. Plenty of room. They used the stock handle as a guide for it.
DSC02234.jpg

Here is the shifter out of the truck. You can see the plastic grips off the shifter and the custom grips that I made installed. I have big hands so I carved a set of grips out of oak that fit me better. The wooden handles have since been stained as well and look much better in person.
DSC02385.jpg

DSC02382.jpg

DSC02384.jpg

DSC02383.jpg

DSC02397.jpg

DSC02396.jpg

And just the wooden halves
DSC02235.jpg

Ok, observations:
While I love the feel and the looks, I think the handle could be just a hair shorter. Also, the bar stock is thinner than the stock handle and feels a little, I don't know, chincier? Can't think of the right word here. Maybe just not as solid. I tried it both using the rubber isolator and with the bushings. The bushings had way too much noise for my taste so I went back with the isolator. They also have wooden handles ready made on the website and they do look great for about $50. I just wanted to custom make mine. My next project is to make a set out of an exotic wood and make matching speaker trim ring and shifter boot ring out of the same wood. Maybe a nice zebra wood or something like that.

So there you have it. That's what I have. I really do love it. If I could afford Boomers shifter, I'd mount this to it in a heartbeat.

Stretch

Last edited:
eddie102870 said:
i was gonna mention it but mopower beat me to it i bought one too for a auto in carbon fiber, looks way cool, he can probably hook you up the the shift pattern for the top of it too.
Yep, he has the patterns for all different shift patterns. It's an easy swap.

Begood, how does the handle feel leaned so far forward? Looks like it might be uncomfy, but not sure. Also, about the carbon fiber plastic grips, I was on my second set of them, the first started peeling. But I knew that when I bought mine that they might, they were the only set he had and he took them off of another shifter. He sent me anothet set no problem and let me keep the old ones. They are what I use for patterns for carving my new wooden handles.

Stretch

amoparman said:
Yep, he has the patterns for all different shift patterns. It's an easy swap.

Begood, how does the handle feel leaned so far forward? Looks like it might be uncomfy, but not sure. Also, about the carbon fiber plastic grips, I was on my second set of them, the first started peeling. But I knew that when I bought mine that they might, they were the only set he had and he took them off of another shifter. He sent me anothet set no problem and let me keep the old ones. They are what I use for patterns for carving my new wooden handles.

Stretch
When I first started lining up the handle with the shifter I thought it was angled forward too much also, but when I bolted it up and took it for a test drive it was PERFECT. It may be due to the fact that I am not the tallest SRT driver here, so I have to sit closer to the wheel than others. But to me it could NOT be better. I absolutly love it.

Bill.

Got an email from Gunslinger yesterday. He says the price is 225.00 plus shipping (12.50) Includes grips, and a solid mount bushing.
I told him about this site and said there might be a few guys interested in this.

Same here, I just ordered one on Tuesday. Also getting Flat black CE stripes on my black truck. Will post PICS when completed.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back