Transmission Fluid

RedSrt007

Reaction score
Due to my shifting problems, something else which will be done while the transmission is out is a complete fluid change. I contacted Tremec (who makes our transmissions) and also T56rebuilds, and they both said to get the fluid out ASAP. I asked them why the factory fluid needs to be removed, they said it 'gums up the internals' due to the Castrol Syntorq (the stuff these trucks come with) being more of a gear oil then a transmission fluid. They both recommended Mobil 1 Full Synthetic ATF. Since the actual manufacture of the T56 told me this, I am convinced. I also found this article which seems to be helpful also. I will be changing the fluid out tonight, and will keep everyone posted.

Thanks

Patrick

"THE Word" on 1998-2002 Manual Tranny Lubricant
The question about whether one should run synthetic ATF or even a non-ATF gear lube in the f-body's Borg-Warner/Tremac 6-speed tranny has been bouncing around. Mark DeCarlo, co-organizer of CNYF, has tracked down the answer. Mark reports....

"I spoke with the T-56 expert at Tremec. He said that the Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF is an excellent choice for the T-56, PROVIDED that the T-56 is a 1997 model or newer.

DO NOT run the synthetic ATF in the pre-1997 T-56 units. It will destroy the paper on the blocker rings. And do not run it in a manual trans with brass blocker rings either, because it will ruin those also.

Tremec changed the blocker rings to the carbon fiber type for the 1997 model year and synthetic ATF will not degrade these.

I asked about the GM SynchroMesh and he said it was good, but not quite as good as the Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF. The SynchroMesh fluid comes in the Tremec 3550.

He said you should have no problems running the Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF in the T-56.

Notice how I keep saying "Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF". He said stay away from the other aftermarket racing type synthetics, as they have extra additives that can degrade components.

I asked about the Castrol Syntorq gear lube. He said you could use it (and they used to in the Viper), but you will encounter hard shift in cold weather and cold clash.

I hope this is the end of your tranny/clutch problems and any future problems any of us RC's will encounter in the future. Thanks for the info.

will swap mine out with my 1st oil change thanks for sending out the message

Excellent news Patrick...very informative :rock:

BTW you still have not called me back from 2 weeks ago :mad: I am getting hungry waiting by the phone :D ;)

TheSickness said:
Excellent news Patrick...very informative :rock:

BTW you still have not called me back from 2 weeks ago :mad: I am getting hungry waiting by the phone :D ;)

Call my cell bro :rock:

so what exactly are your shifting problems if u dont mind me asking do u have the gen4 in? or the b&m

So should I change out the Red-line MT-90 that I put in when I installed Boom's shifter?

the 90 wt will cause stiff shifting its real real thick,
but I am not speaking against gary he will kick my ass:D but

I told little stone boy this over a month ago, but he doesnt belive poop stinks:D or that I isnt that bright;)

but THE best fluid I have found that will make a t-56 shift slicker than owl poop on a pine limb is RED LINE D4 ATF.

Must use the D4, it is a synthetic auto tranny fluid, but will last and protect forever, and make the tranny very quiet, and easy shifting.

I may be a hillbilly but know what shizit works , trust me on this.

Ok maybe a dumb question here. How difficult is it to change( I have never done this on any vehicle)?

When I got my rear main seal changed out this summer, since they had to drop the tranny, does that mean they changed the fluid or not?

patrick

Best to get a lube pump for the auto store, it usually will screw onto the top of jug or bottle and you can pump it into the tranny.

There is a plug on the bottom of the tranny, put pan underneath, remove plug and drain. replace plug

Plug on side of tranny remove fill with fluid till it seeps out and replace plug, drive and recheck.

Im sorry the drain plug should be at the back of the tail of the tranny, usually a 1/2 or 3/8 inch rachet head will fit into it.

I always thought it was weird that all of GM's T56 trans use Dexron III ATF and Dodge used that syntorq stuff. I would also use the synthetic ATF like Red said.

Stinker said:
the 90 wt will cause stiff shifting its real real thick,
but I am not speaking against gary he will kick my ass:D but

I told little stone boy this over a month ago, but he doesnt belive poop stinks:D or that I isnt that bright;)

but THE best fluid I have found that will make a t-56 shift slicker than owl poop on a pine limb is RED LINE D4 ATF.

Must use the D4, it is a synthetic auto tranny fluid, but will last and protect forever, and make the tranny very quiet, and easy shifting.

I may be a hillbilly but know what shizit works , trust me on this.

i will back you up on the Redline, there is NOTHING as good as that. i know factory race teams that are SPONSERED by other oil companies, and we/they bought and used Redline. the stuff is the absoulute best. period.

Well, fluid has been replaced with full synthetic Mobil ATF, along with throw-out bearing, pilot bearing, and centerforce will be sending me a custom clutch kit next day air to try out....

For anyone thinking of replacing the fluid..holy smokes was it gunk! I only have 4500 miles on my truck and it looked like thick black molasses!! I should have changed it from day 1, now its going to take a few fill / flushes to get all that old junk out...

I should have everything installed by tomorrow morning and on my way to Bakersfield if all goes well. I will let you know how she runs!

-Red

Red Line Synthetic ATF

I had a 98 5.4 Expedition with a Vortex Blower.
I added another 2800 GVW cooler to the factory cooler and put a mild TransGo shift kit in the trans when it was all new and I put the blower on. I switched the fluid to RedLine Fully synthetic fluid at that time and changed it all every 30000 miles (17 quarts).
When I sold the truck at 112000 miles the trans was perfect and there were no issues like most people had. Most had to replace the trans in a stock application at 80000-90000. I did tow with this truck (sometimes towing my 9000 pound boat) and it stayed alive and never did we find any debris in the pan.
I am a firm believer in RedLine products, they have worked for me.
After Bakersfield I am going to change out the fluid in the red Dodge as soon as I get home.

Thanks Patrick for this good information.

yep, after seeing what came out of the transmission i am changing mine when i get back too.

take the pan off, its not that hard, i did and changed the filter too

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back