CHRYSLER RE-OPENS FIRST PLANT!

SANCHOBA

TEXAS A&M DAD
Supporting Member
Reaction score
AND....ITS THE VIPER FACTORY! (CONNER AVENUE PLANT). CAN ANY ONE ELSE VERIFY THE GREAT NEWS?!:rock:

Last edited:
HERE IT IS!!

Chrysler restarts Viper plant, first to reopen after emerging from bankruptcy protection
By Associated Press
4:19 PM CDT, June 15, 2009

AUBURN HILLS, Mich. (AP) — Chrysler LLC says it has restarted a small factory that makes the Viper sports car.

The Conner Avenue assembly plant in Detroit is the first to begin making vehicles since May 4 when the company shut down all of its plants after it filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection.

Spokeswoman Dianna Gutierrez says she is not sure when other factories will come back on line. Chrysler executives have said they would restart a majority of the plants by the last week in June.

The company emerged from bankruptcy protection on June 10. The Viper plant restarted on Monday.

(This version CORRECTS the date of Chrysler's emergence from bankruptcy from June 9 to June 10.)

:rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:

find it kinda' ironic a car company coming out of bankruptcy would start up with their most expensive gas guzzling vehicle. is the viper that profitable?

That's the best way they can say, "We're not going anywhere!":rock: :rock: :rock:

SANCHOBA said:
find it kinda' ironic a car company coming out of bankruptcy would start up with their most expensive gas guzzling vehicle. is the viper that profitable?

You are really just half right...the Viper is the most expensive Chrysler but cetainly not the gas guzzler...just a guessestmate but I would say it gets better mileage than 50% of the other Chrysler cars...I know it does better than the SRT8 models..............but I am surprised they would restart this plant first since Viper sales are very low in in the best of times..

One would think the first plant they would reopen would be to produce the LX body or DS body

The Viper probably has the highest profit margin of any of the Chrysler vehicles. If they have orders to fill, then that is money coming in.

-Muzzy

I'm thinking it could be easier and quicker to get everything upnd runnin' than most if not all the other plants that I'm assuming produce more vehicles and do them faster than the vipers are done?

The Viper plant has many orders to fill judging by the number of people waiting for them on the VCA. Since the Viper is hand built, the assembly line is easier to start back up also. The question is: how long will it stay open after all the orders are filled?

Hot on the heels of news that the Dodge Viper's Conner Avenue facility would be the first Chrysler plant to fire up after the company's bankruptcy proceedings/Fiat tie-up comes official word that the automaker will resume production at seven plants the week of June 29. In addition, Chrysler will bring the supporting powertrain and stamping plants online that supply the assembly factories listed below with parts.

According to Ed Garsten, Chrysler's manager of electronic media communications, the following assembly plants will resume production as part of a "phased production ramp-up" -

Sterling Heights Assembly Plant (Sterling Heights, MI) – Chrysler Sebring and Dodge Avenger
Warren Truck Assembly Plant (Warren, MI) – Dodge Ram and Dodge Dakota
St. Louis North Assembly Plant (Fenton, MO) – Dodge Ram
Toledo Supplier Park (Toledo, OH) – Jeep Wrangler and Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Brampton Assembly Plant (Brampton, Ontario, Canada) – Chrysler 300, Dodge Charger and Challenger
Windsor Assembly Plant (Windsor, Ontario, Canada ) – Chrysler Town & Country and Dodge Grand Caravan
Toluca Assembly Plant (Toluca, Mexico) – Dodge Journey and Chrysler PT Cruiser

Despite the start-ups, all Chrysler plants will again idle for two weeks in the second half of July as part of a previously scheduled summer break.

Muzzy said:
The Viper probably has the highest profit margin of any of the Chrysler vehicles. If they have orders to fill, then that is money coming in.

-Muzzy

Actually, the "08" model year was the first year the Viper showed a profit. The plant has always supported itself but had never made a profit.
Trucks and the SUV's have the highest margin. That was why when times were good the produced the crap out of them.

I'm glade that they didn't kill the Viper. There are alot of good people there.

:congrats: :congrats: :congrats:

When I took the tour a few years back, the guide told me, that they were only making $100 profit/car. That is was just more a marketing piece.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back