QA1 shock adjustment

Floor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys, got mine CNG tank installed the other week, must better mileage for a cost point of view :rock: And extra weight on the rear end = more traction double :rock: and most of all : 0% power loss !
And now the question: I got about 2 inch of free space before I reach the bumpstops. I already increased the shocks with 10 clicks :hmmmm2: :hmmmm: :eek: and still the smallest roadbump makes me hit the stops :mad: :( even at idling speed.

Will try to increase the stiffness even more this evening but won't I get a "unsuspended" rear in the end:dontknow: I don't mind this on a track but for a daily driver it will lower the pleasure of cruising I'm affraid.

What are your thoughts? Anyone using QA1 shocks + McGaughys Q C lowering kit?

Not saying the drop/shocks sucks, maybe it's just finding the 'right' setting:dontknow: If it doesn't work out I will
consider lifting the rear again bout 2 inches, which parts do I need for that?

Thks for your input boyz and gals:)

Last edited:
You may have to go with an airbag setup to get the back end up, I had to do this on my lowered RC because it was almost riding on the bumpstops when towing a heavy load. 10 clicks is very stiff for the back (for regular driving), either try an airbag setup or at least raise the back up a little to keep it from hitting the bumpstops during normal driving. You may also consider switching to RC springs, maybe some QC owners who have done this can chime in.
Justin

I honestly would try to find an airag kit, it would be the best solution for your situation, the others are chances or bandaids at best. I know RockinRonnie and a couple other QC guys have bags on their trucks. Im using an airlift kit but it needed to be modified quite a bit to make it work on my lowered RC.
Justin

JMB Justin said:
You may have to go with an airbag setup to get the back end up, I had to do this on my lowered RC because it was almost riding on the bumpstops when towing a heavy load. 10 clicks is very stiff for the back (for regular driving), either try an airbag setup or at least raise the back up a little to keep it from hitting the bumpstops during normal driving. You may also consider switching to RC springs, maybe some QC owners who have done this can chime in.
Justin
i did the R C rear leaf springs w/slapper on my 2005 Q C ...i tow with the x-metal lowering kit,this setup does work good for me.....handling inproved also...(it is a little stiffer in the ride)....

fast fred said:
i did the R C rear leaf springs w/slapper on my 2005 Q C ...i tow with the x-metal lowering kit,this setup does work good for me.....handling inproved also...(it is a little stiffer in the ride)....

Sorry but what's a slapper ? :dontknow:

PIC's

here are couple pic's of the airspace I got. really not much... Starting to think lift again is ...... the only way up :D :dontknow:

Attachments

• IMG_1057.JPG
    IMG_1057.JPG
    986.4 KB · Views: 201
  • IMG_1058.JPG
    IMG_1058.JPG
    678.6 KB · Views: 178
  • IMG_1059.JPG
    IMG_1059.JPG
    878.3 KB · Views: 238
Oh yeah, made a new thread with pic's in the performance section about the LPG, CNG VSI of how do you call it :D

Floor said:
How much did you lowered it F/B ?
i did boomers lowering kit 2x4 drop and added the R C lef springs w/slapper in the rear also changed the rate of the coil springs in the front(stiffer)......handling is far better......ride is stiff....

fast fred said:
i did boomers lowering kit 2x4 drop and added the R C lef springs w/slapper in the rear also changed the rate of the coil springs in the front(stiffer)......handling is far better......ride is stiff....

Could you post some pictures pls, especially of the rear (of your truck?)
Also from behind the wheels if popssible.
I read the description of boomer's kit on his webpage, can you adjust the height in the back? Thanks in advance. ;)

anyone with a CQ and airbag helpers ?? pls chime in with pictures and experience... thank youuuuu (the sooner I can get rid of those tight rides and bumpstops the better. :burnout:
I need help fellas !

Floor said:
Could you post some pictures pls, especially of the rear (of your truck?)
Also from behind the wheels if popssible.
I read the description of boomer's kit on his webpage, can you adjust the height in the back? Thanks in advance. ;)
sorry i can't post a picture today as i'm at work and don't have the camera with me.....

I noticed in your pic of the front suspension that you have no space between the frame and bumpstop; you're sitting on the bumpstops!! That is definitely not what should be going on. I have the x-metal kit on mine and I had to completely remove the stock front bumpstops (using an air chisel and wheel cutter) and replaced them with ones that look like those on your rear axle. My rear ones I simply cut them in half with a table saw. Also in the x-metal kit, it came with different shackles for the rear leaf springs so I could raise the rear end up another inch. Did your kit come with those as well? If not, give Boomer a call and see if you can just get those shackles to give you some more clearance. And if you still have your stock rear bumpstops, maybe do what I did. Remove your stock front bumpstops and replacing them with the ones pictured on your rear end. Take your stock rear bumpstops and cut them in half or cut off as much as you are comfortable with then re-install them on the rear.
Also, I remember seeing a thread, I think its the x-metal drop kit thread in the X-metal vendor section where there is a pic of a truck who's front end too is sitting on the bumpstops and they used another company's kit. Check the thread out, its very interesting. Hope some of this helped

Where can I find replacement bumpstops for the front end that are similar to the rear ones?

KRAZYSRT10 said:
Where can I find replacement bumpstops for the front end that are similar to the rear ones?

Jeg's has the shorter energy suspension bump stops, (I think 20-25) sorry I don't know the # off the top of my head.

Don't ask me why but I haven't been driving the truck untill recently :D

kay, picking up an old thread i know but the problem is still there :mad:

Especially when towing the lowering kit is simply too low :
IMG_1896.jpg

IMG_1894.jpg

I'm definetely in the market for some airbag helpers, preferable a simple bolt on taking into account the rear axle is flipped as well.

Need some input on what to use, where to go etc...

get in touch with Stinker. he was gettin some air bags together when he was gettin the poly bushin kits together

:rock: :rock: :rock:

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back