Truck sits lower on drivers side rear

TREKER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have seen this posted before but could not find it.

My truck sits a good inch or more lower on the drivers side from the rear. From the front, it is dead level. It is very noticable from standing behind the truck from about 10'.

I took a tape measure and measured from the garage floor to the bottom of the bumper and confirmed it. Does not pull or have any issues while driving. I am just confused. I looked at the rear springs and they look normal. Anyone have a clue what it may be?

I have no doubt that you will get a few personal comments...probably from Mikey...just ignore them.

There is an additional shock on the rear axle that would be my first guess...

Prof said:
I have no doubt that you will get a few personal comments...probably from Mikey...just ignore them.

There is an additional shock on the rear axle that would be my first guess...

Additional shock? I will look. Maybe I could bring it to dealer to have them look at it. Thanks for the input.

JRSVIPR said:
Shock would be my guess also.

J.R.
Thanks J.R.

I am at work and did not drive my rig today. What is this 3rd shock for? Is it located on one side and may be failing?

I would doubt that it's the shock. That shock runs Forward/Aft on the truck and does not really see a load except under acceleration.

Measuring from the body panels/bumpers is not very accurate for this.

If you can slide under the truck while it's on the ground, measure from the top of the axle to the frame or axle snubber. This will give you an accurate measurement if the truck structure is leaning.

If you cannot fit under the truck, jack it up so that the tires are just barely off the floor. Put jack stands under the axles as close to the wheels as possible. Remove the wheels and then take the measurements.

Let us know what you find out and we can go from there.

TREKER said:
Thanks J.R.

I am at work and did not drive my rig today. What is this 3rd shock for? Is it located on one side and may be failing?

The shock is to help dampen axle hop. It runs from the top of the differental cover to the frame.

Third shock is for the rear axle wrap. It is in the center of the truck so I don't think that will be your problem. I would have a good look at your leaf springs cause a bad shock generally won't show just sitting there.

I can't tell from your Sig, has your truck been lowered? If so make sure the block is sitting correctly!!

Let us know what you found out!!

Good Luck!!

TREKER said:
Thanks J.R.

The 3rd shock is to help control axle hop, But i would think your problem would be the shock at the wheel.

J.R.

Silverback said:
I would doubt that it's the shock. That shock runs Forward/Aft on the truck and does not really see a load except under acceleration.

Measuring from the body panels/bumpers is not very accurate for this.

If you can slide under the truck while it's on the ground, measure from the top of the axle to the frame or axle snubber. This will give you an accurate measurement if the truck structure is leaning.

If you cannot fit under the truck, jack it up so that the tires are just barely off the floor. Put jack stands under the axles as close to the wheels as possible. Remove the wheels and then take the measurements.

Let us know what you find out and we can go from there.

Thank you..

I will measure it tomorrow and see what the deal is. I will take it to a mechanic and put it on the lift and take some measurements.

Actually, it's the same way on the QC's, and here's my theory. The shock on the driver's side is pointing towards the rear of the truck and seems to be at a much larger angle, and allows the truck to sit lower (less compression on the shock). While the one on the passenger side is pointing towards the front of the truck and appears to be more "straight up and down" and under more pressure; consequently preventing the truck from sitting as low.

here is my dumb ass theory because my truck does the same thing.
the gas tank is on the driver side and when you fill your truck with gas of course that adds weight to the truck.i do not know what a gallon of gas weighs but when you put 10 to 12 gallons in the truck that is alot of weight.

outnumbered said:
Actually, it's the same way on the QC's, and here's my theory. The shock on the driver's side is pointing towards the rear of the truck and seems to be at a much larger angle, and allows the truck to sit lower (less compression on the shock). While the one on the passenger side is pointing towards the front of the truck and appears to be more "straight up and down" and under more pressure; consequently preventing the truck from sitting as low.

Shocks do not have a spring rate. They are pressurized, but that is so slight it will not make a difference.

Is your RC lowered? I've seen this on vehicles that were lowered with blocks in the rear. Most of the time it was a block that shifted during the install or a bolt that was loose....also check that all none of the leaf springs are mis-aligned.

If your suspension set-up is all stock, my guess would be that you have a bad rear shock or possibly one that has a slightly stiffer rating. One of the guys on the GC forums had this issue. The dealer replaced both rear shocks under warranty and it leveled the rear. GL.

If your suspension set-up is all stock, my guess would be that you have a bad rear shock or possibly one that has a slightly stiffer rating. One of the guys on the GC forums had this issue. The dealer replaced both rear shocks under warranty and it leveled the rear. GL.

This makes good sense also, mabe you can get in the bed and bounce up and down on each side and see if one side is softer than the other!!:dontknow:

Marc T said:
This makes good sense also, mabe you can get in the bed and bounce up and down on each side and see if one side is softer than the other!!:dontknow:

Thanks for the tip. I am gonna make an appt with the dealership and see what they say.

What we have here is a room (virtual room) of people who have no idea about how a shock works and/or effects on ride height. Your leaf springs carry the load not your shocks. Can be other items but shocks are not one of them.

Performance shocks are presurized to reduce cavitation in the oil as the oil is squeezed through the compression and rebound damping (its NOT dampening!) circuits. I can take your pressurized shock and compress it fully by hand and maintain that position with very little pressure.

Chuck B said:
What we have here is a room (virtual room) of people who have no idea about how a shock works and/or effects on ride height. Your leaf springs carry the load not your shocks. Can be other items but shocks are not one of them.

Performance shocks are presurized to reduce cavitation in the oil as the oil is squeezed through the compression and rebound damping (its NOT dampening!) circuits. I can take your pressurized shock and compress it fully by hand and maintain that position with very little pressure.

Well that's a little blunter than I wanted to put it:eek: , but you are right.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back