B&M Shifter installed on 06

TREKER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I did it...

First I thought it was going to be a cluster F. Then I started working on it and said it was not too bad... Famous last words!!!!:D

Actually the thing that gave me the hardest time was actually getting the top console out. I took photos on my phone camera since I left my good one at work but I will post them later in the DIY section. After the console is out, it is straight forward by following the instructions included. The clips that hold the top console to the rear portion that has the storage area was the hardest part of the job. :banghead:

The 06's have some very thick padding that is very tight around the the rubber boot that cover the shifter and that was kind of a pain in the ass getting the screws out. :mad:

Whole project took about 1.5 hrs with a full 35mins devoted to getting the top part of the console off. Once I had it off, the job went well. That is until I pulled the Hurst out on an angle and the piece that the ball threads onto jabbed me in the face a 1/2" from my left eye. :nurse: A near miss that would have had me blind in one eye for sure and very unhappy.:eek:

Took it out for a spin around the bolck and you can tell the difference for sure. :burnout:

Last edited:
i just did mine too, in my 06. as you noted, the center console is the toughest part. the secret to getting it out is to just pull hard and don't worry about breaking anything. once the top (just yank it out) and bottom (three screws) parts of the center console were out, it took me about 10 min to replace the shifter and put it all back together. the difference is huge - probably lowered my 1/4 times by 2 sec with this mod. one thing i have noticed so far is that the 4-5 shift can be missed. thats not nearly as bad as trying a 2-3 powershift and hitting 1st instead.

now that i've done it on the 06, i think i could do it again in about 10-15 minutes from start to finish.

btw, there's a VERY easy solution for getting to the rubber boot screws covered by that thick padding. just make two inch long incisions (towards rear of truck) in the thick padding and pull the flap back. :) don't be afraid to take a knife to it. its not like you're cutting up the Connelly leather interior in your Rolls Royce.

Last edited:
Hows the noise? i really want to get one from what yall are telling me but
this noise i keep hearing about is apparently the silent killer :dontknow:

Sharpi

kcsr said:
i just did mine too, in my 06. as you noted, the center console is the toughest part. the secret to getting it out is to just pull hard and don't worry about breaking anything. once the top (just yank it out) and bottom (three screws) parts of the center console were out, it took me about 10 min to replace the shifter and put it all back together. the difference is huge - probably lowered my 1/4 times by 2 sec with this mod. one thing i have noticed so far is that the 4-5 shift can be missed. thats not nearly as bad as trying a 2-3 powershift and hitting 1st instead.

now that i've done it on the 06, i think i could do it again in about 10-15 minutes from start to finish.

btw, there's a VERY easy solution for getting to the rubber boot screws covered by that thick padding. just make two inch long incisions (towards rear of truck) in the thick padding and pull the flap back. :) don't be afraid to take a knife to it. its not like you're cutting up the Connelly leather interior in your Rolls Royce.

Good point. You would just roll the carpet back after the screw go back in. Good idea. :rock:

I am changing my fluid tomorrow so I hope to see even more on an improvement.

Sharpimage said:

Sharpi

Only took it arounf the block and I could tell you that I have heard nothing at all. I am not sure :dontknow: about the 04-05's but the carpet has 3/4 padding under the console. If that does not deaden the noise a bit I would be suprised. Also, the console is much deeper on the 06's. There is a rubber grommet between the lower arm and upper assembly on the stock hurst that must dampen some vibration. But actual noise, I am not sure... Aside from the grommet, the two are using the stock stuff to hide everything so why would there be additional noise? I will be driving it tomorrow and will let you know for sure.

It is a much shorter throw I can say. Very tight... Also at the highest point to attach the upper arm to the shaft, the ball ends up being 1/2" below the stock hurst. That was in the instructions. I did just that and it has a nice feel to it. :)

TREKER said:
Only took it arounf the block and I could tell you that I have heard nothing at all. I am not sure :dontknow: about the 04-05's but the carpet has 3/4 padding under the console. If that does not deaden the noise a bit I would be suprised. Also, the console is much deeper on the 06's. There is a rubber grommet between the lower arm and upper assembly on the stock hurst that must dampen some vibration. But actual noise, I am not sure... Aside from the grommet, the two are using the stock stuff to hide everything so why would there be additional noise? I will be driving it tomorrow and will let you know for sure.

It is a much shorter throw I can say. Very tight... Also at the highest point to attach the upper arm to the shaft, the ball ends up being 1/2" below the stock hurst. That was in the instructions. I did just that and it has a nice feel to it. :)

So even though it's only 1/2" lower it does feel a good bit shorter of a throw
compared to stock?

Sharpi

Sharpimage said:
So even though it's only 1/2" lower it does feel a good bit shorter of a throw
compared to stock?

Sharpi

Thats at the highest setting... You can lover it prob another 2-1/2" - 3" if you wanted. Prolly be near the boot at that point and look kinda strange but yeah. It can be lowered. It had about 8 bolt holes in it from what I remember.

Heres pics of it installed. Sorry for size, it was from my phone

View attachment 13670

View attachment 13671

View attachment 13672

TREKER said:
Well, I did it...

First I thought it was going to be a cluster F. Then I started working on it and said it was not too bad... Famous last words!!!!:D

Actually the thing that gave me the hardest time was actually getting the top console out. I took photos on my phone camera since I left my good one at work but I will post them later in the DIY section. After the console is out, it is straight forward by following the instructions included. The clips that hold the top console to the rear portion that has the storage area was the hardest part of the job. :banghead:

The 06's have some very thick padding that is very tight around the the rubber boot that cover the shifter and that was kind of a pain in the ass getting the screws out. :mad:

Whole project took about 1.5 hrs with a full 35mins devoted to getting the top part of the console off. Once I had it off, the job went well. That is until I pulled the Hurst out on an angle and the piece that the ball threads onto jabbed me in the face a 1/2" from my left eye. :nurse: A near miss that would have had me blind in one eye for sure and very unhappy.:eek:

Took it out for a spin around the bolck and you can tell the difference for sure. :burnout:
:rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:

Stinker said:
:rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:

::star: :star: :star: :star: :star: :star: :driver: :star: :star:
This coming from you Stinker... :proud: :proud:

TREKER said:
::star: :star: :star: :star: :star: :star: :driver: :star: :star:
This coming from you Stinker... :proud: :proud:

You rock bro:rock: Cant wait to see the DIY deal !

helluva good job! way to keep an EYE on things!:p :p :p

Stinker said:
You rock bro:rock: Cant wait to see the DIY deal !

helluva good job! way to keep an EYE on things!:p :p :p

Came out really good. Unfortunatley, almost had to deal with driving with a blind spot due to a shifter mod. First in history I bet..

Will write up the DIY stuff on Moday.

Sharpimage said:

Sharpi

yeah, there is a bit of noise. you can either install headers and exhaust, or turn up the Infinity sound system, to effectively drown out the shifter noise.

seriously though, its not that bad. the improvement over the stock shifter is HUGE too, so bottom line is that it is a "must do" mod.

Changed out the transmission fluid this morning with Mobil 1 ATF. Shifting it perfect now. Slipping issues gone. Sound, no more than stock. I have to agree. Maybe when its cold a bit more noticable. Windows down, radio on... nothing but blue skies and sun.!!!:burnout:

Thanks to Joemags for the help this morning doing the trans fluid change.:rock:

Back