Free Mod!!! Yes, FREE!

Roz

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I love it when I get bored sometimes! I was trying to think of a way to modify the stock intake setup since it "seems" to be the most effective when compared to some of the CAI's avaiable out there. So I got to snooping around and it hit me! Cut the front of that thing so air can come in through the front, and instead of the side! Seems to make more sense that way anyways.

Ok, so here is what I started with. This is the stock airbox which sucks in air from the fender area.

DSCN1112.jpg

DSCN1113.jpg

So I break my dremel out and start cutting away. I'm sorry, I forgot to take a picture of the box itself with the hold cut in the front of it. Here's a pic of the airbox re-installed with the hold cut in it.

DSCN1094.jpg

DSCN1096.jpg

DSCN1099.jpg

So I got to thinking, maybe I can open up the grill and get a "ram air" effect. So I ponder and ponder. :idea: Why don't I reuse that "scoop" inside the stock airbox and cut an opening in that shield behind the grill to suck in air! :D As you can tel by the pics, I had to trim a significant amount of that little bastard in order for it to fit/clear the condenser brackets without rubbing. This took the majority of my time.

Here's some pics of that "scoop" installed in the shield behind the grill.

DSCN1098.jpg

DSCN1100.jpg

DSCN1114.jpg

Now for the major question. . . Did I gain power? I couldn't tell ya. Maybe Two HP. Maybe Ten. SOTP Dyno says I gained a few.

So how mean would I be if I didn't get any video of the thing in action?! This mod sounds AWESOME! I've never heard a Volant System, but everyone says they sound cool. I'd say it sounds similar to a Volant.

Here's a few short videos for ya's.

All in all I am pleased with what I've done. It didn't cost a thing except for my time. I'm gonna run here in a little bit and get a K&N Drop In and see if that helps too. My only concern is for the folks that drive theirs in the rain. It's probably not the best thing for it. I bet if some of you get creative, you can make a shield of some sort that will prevent the majority of water from getting inside the airbox or you can choose not to cut the opening behind the grill as I did.

As always, thoughts and input please! :D

I must say, you got balls just using the dremel like that :D :rock: I already feld bad when I drilled a hole to screw my licence plate in the front.
Nice Mod.

Looks like a great cheap mod! Good work Roz!

You just wash your truck or did you actually have it out in the rain?

Paul

Thanks guys!

Paul, I completed the mod this morning, and took the finished pics a little while ago. I started washing it . . THEN it rained! :mad: :) Its stopped a little while ago, and now the sun is out baking some shit on there. Gonna re-wash here in a few hours. Knowing my luck, its gonna rain again. . .

There's less turbulence in the fender well than at the front . This may have some impact on the flow. Also an increase in 1 or 2 hp would be hard to attribute to any one factor unless all the control variables are held constant during each dyno run. In any case 1-2 hp would be absorbed in the percent of error. But hey Jimi .. whatever turns you on:D :dontknow: :dontknow:

nycstev said:
But hey Jimi .. whatever turns you on:D :dontknow: :dontknow:

LOL! It makes me happy where I pee. :p :rock:

Roz-SRT said:
My only concern is for the folks that drive theirs in the rain. It's probably not the best thing for it. I bet if some of you get creative, you can make a shield of some sort that will prevent the majority of water from getting inside the airbox or you can choose not to cut the opening behind the grill as I did.

FaSt-RAM-716 said:
when your driving in the rain its going to suck all the water up in to the motor wouldn't it?

:) :p :D

maybe put a piece of screen over the opening to keep out trash, leaves, bugs, etc. but a cool idea!!!

Jimi,

Maybe it's just me, but everytime you post a pic or a vid of your truck's dashboard, your gas gauge is just about on E.:dontknow: :D :aetsch: :laugh:

Hamrhead said:
Jimi,

Maybe it's just me, but everytime you post a pic or a vid of your truck's dashboard, your gas gauge is just about on E.:dontknow: :D :aetsch: :laugh:

Atleast I get my toy out every now and then and run a few gallons of gas through it!!! :p :rock: :D :star:

Roz-SRT said:
Atleast I get my toy out every now and then and run a few gallons of gas through it!!! :p :rock: :D :star:
WTF is that supposed to mean? :dontknow:

I've got just over 1,300 miles on my Viper now.

DC Tune/170 Stat and Green Filters installed.

3.55's from Unitrax sitting on the bench in the garage, waiting to be installed.

Corsa Track Exhaust waiting as well.

I've, ahem, slighty exceeded the posted speed limit a couple of times already.:D ;) :p

Just dropped $42 in the gas tank yesterday too!.:thefinger: It *might* last me another 200 miles.:dontknow: :D

Just polished it yesterday too - Lookie!!!!!

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back