[FONT=verdana,arial,helvetica]BPE Racing Heads - http://www.bpeheads.com/
Dodge Viper Titanium Valve Spring Retainers and Billet Steel Valve Locks
[/FONT][FONT=verdana,arial,helvetica]Over 40% lighter than stock components
Will handle .650 lift
[/FONT]

pat1.JPG
pat2.JPG
[FONT=verdana,arial,helvetica]
Taking my set to the machine shop on Monday. Looks like you have to enlarge the seat on the heads a small amount.

If anyone is interested, I will inquire on a group buy.

[/FONT]100_0896.jpg
http://www.bpeheads.com/partsviper.htm
viperparts.jpg

Last edited:
Valve Spring Specs
postspringnumbers.JPG

RedRamRules said:
PM me a cost please.
http://www.bpeheads.com/partsviper.htm
as it stands now:
[FONT=verdana,arial,helvetica]BPE Viper Valve Train Upgrade Kit - $370.00

[/FONT]My heads are at the machine shop now. I will probably have them back Monday or Tuesday and I will take pics with Valve kit installed.[FONT=verdana,arial,helvetica]
[/FONT]

Last edited:
Depends on the load of their work, but usually about 2-3 days, sometimes that day they are done. Other times if they are backed up or on leave - a week.

Bone said:
Depends on the load of their work, but usually about 2-3 days, sometimes that day they are done. Other times if they are backed up or on leave - a week.
wouldnt happen to have an extra set of ported heads laying around would ya?

I have stockers in there until I decide what I want to do with my complete rebuild.
Manley is out of stock of their larger valves for a month.

flchub said:
wouldnt happen to have an extra set of ported heads laying around would ya?
I will have one set (in addition to mine) complete at the end of the week or beginning of next week.

Here is my completed set (various pictures compared to stock springs and retainers)
100_1163.jpg

100_1156.jpg

100_1157.jpg

100_1158.jpg

100_1160.jpg

100_1162.jpg

ppps.JPG

If anyone is interested.
Dave

Follow up on spring packages: After sending you the earlier email I double checked on my retainers, titanium cost has gone up since last order so I must revise our spring package cost, new cost per package is $420.00. If you get 5 or more of your friends that are interested in them then I will let them go for the old $370.00 price but delivery will be about 4 to 6 weeks and for that cost I would need deposits (50%). Let me know. Thanks again.

Steve

Quick note: If using Ti retainers, polish the spring ends that will contact the retainer. If its rough, valve float and spring vibrations can lead to wearing right through the retainer in a hurry.

Not trying to scare anyone, it wont happen overnight, but you can certainly get a set of retainers past the point of "reusable" in 5K miles or less by not doing it.

Final GTS said:
Quick note: If using Ti retainers, polish the spring ends that will contact the retainer. If its rough, valve float and spring vibrations can lead to wearing right through the retainer in a hurry.

Not trying to scare anyone, it wont happen overnight, but you can certainly get a set of retainers past the point of "reusable" in 5K miles or less by not doing it.

Ahh, stirring the pot huh. lol These guys at the machine shop have been installing valve springs for decades, not to mention the springs were fine upon delivery. We even fit checked them there twice with the rocker arms.

Here is a reply from Steve at BPE Racing.

Dave
It's been our experience that it's usually the dampeners and not the springs that are the culprits when titanium (and even steel) retainers start to wear away, a problem that we address on those applications. Our Viper spring package uses inner and outer springs with no dampeners. After about 35 years of working on cylinder heads I've seen some retainers, steel, titanium and even aluminum, some where the open spring pressures were close to 1000 lbs., that were worn to the point of being scary (how did they last that long?) but I've never seen a retainer that was worn all the way through and failed.
Speaking of spring pressures, the pressures, open and closed, that are limited by the use of stock Viper hydraulic roller lifters will most likely not cause the problem described here, especially when using springs without dampeners. As you've mentioned, we've installed hundreds of these springs and retainers on Vipers and other applications and have yet to receive our first report of a problem. Thanks again.
Steve

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back