Scan Gauge II

Bone

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Scan Gauge II by Linear Logic. I thought I would start a thread on this since we started to talk about it in another thread somewhat related. :)

Attached are some pictures which don't give the color justice. You can select multiple colors. Anyhow, on to the real 'stuff'. :rock:

The gauge will monitor:

CLSD LOOP
OPEN LOOP
Intake Air temp
Water Temp
Fuel Pressure
Gallons per hour (or liters)
Ignition timing
Engine Loading
MPG/KPG
MPH/KPH
MAP - Manifold Absolute Pressure (is PSI or Kilo pascals) ** At WOT pressure can be as high as 15 PSI or more with forced induction.
RPM
Voltage

It has a TRIP mode
Max Speed
Max Coolant temp
Max RPM
Average speed
Average fuel Economy
Trip Miles
Trip Elapsed time
Trip Fuel used
Fuel used since last fill up
Fuel remaining
Distance driven
Distance remaining
Time driven since last fillup
Time remaining before tank empty
--(Yes, some of this redundant for the SRT but still good info)

It will read ODB2 codes AND clear them for you. Even with the engine off.

You can switch vehicles with it (unlike some Superchips or Hypertech programmers). :D

Cost me 165 dollars delivered (Ebay purchase). I wrote to them to see if they want to be a forum vender and/or give a group buy option. So stand by if interested. :congrats:

I have not used all modes with it so I can't confirm or deny how well they work yet. However, so far so good. It has read two of the most arguable difficult engines/computers so far with my Hemi and Viper engines.

It simply plugs into your ODB2 port underneath the steering wheel. Power is supplied from the port, no batteries or 12 volt cords needed.:)

http://www.scangauge.com/

Attachments

• dcp_3618.jpg
    dcp_3618.jpg
    498.9 KB · Views: 408
  • dcp_3619.jpg
    dcp_3619.jpg
    485.4 KB · Views: 253
  • dcp_3620.jpg
    dcp_3620.jpg
    430 KB · Views: 233
  • dcp_3617.jpg
    dcp_3617.jpg
    522.4 KB · Views: 286
  • SGII Cable and Key.jpg
    SGII Cable and Key.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 535
Last edited:
that looks like a pretty good think to have, and not a bad price. thanks for the info. i will have to look in to one

Ram From Hell said:
Slick gadget! Nice find!
Steve found it, I just went ahead and became the test bird.

Anyhow, I drove around tonight with it. Looks very sharp at night. What impressed me first was the Inlet Air Temp. I sat at a light and watched the IAT rise to about 109F. When the light turned green I accelerated enough for my methanol injection to kick in. Then immediately the IAT dropped to 69F. Now I know my Meth Injection is functioning correctly, I am surprised how fast and how much it drops the temp. I tried it a second time at another light, this time after the meth came on, I immediately stopped so no further air was coming thru the grill to help lower the temp. Same results.:rock:

It was nice to also monitor my Ignition timing in degrees throughout the acceleration/rpms. That was all I studied tonight. I have a reply email from the distributor, I will answer and post if we can get a group buy for the rest of those who want one. :dancing:

Please sing out if interested so I can give them an idea who would like one.

BTW, it automatically turns on and off for you. Never had to touch it.

Last edited:
FAQ's from seller

QUESTION: Will the ScanGauge work on my vehicle?
ANSWER: The Scangauge will work on most cars and light trucks since model year 1996. There are also some 1994 and 1995 models which the ScanGauge will work on (see compatibility list). The ScanGauge will not work on 2001 to 2003 Mercedes vehicles. There are limitations in the gauges and trip information in some vehicles.

QUESTION: Will the ScanGauge be able to clear my trouble codes and turn off my "Check Engine" light?
ANSWER: The ScanGauge will clear the codes and turn off the check engine light on 99% of 1996 and newer vehicles. It has been reported that it can not do this on some trouble codes in the Dodge SRT-4.

QUESTION: How can the ScanGauge do all of these things with only a single connection to the vehicle?
ANSWER: Since 1996, all cars and light trucks sold in the US have been required by law to have an On-Board-Diagnostic version 2 (OBD2 or OBD II) connector inside the passenger compartment. It is required to provide diagnostic information and allow resetting of the CHECK ENGINE light. It also provides a lot of other operating information. The ScanGauge performs the diagnostics functions like a conventional scan tool. It also goes beyond this and uses the other data to add many more useful functions.

QUESTION: Do I need to know what Protocol my car uses?
ANSWER: No. The ScanGauge automatically determines which protocol your vehicle uses and switches to it.

QUESTION: Can I use the ScanGauge on more than one car.
ANSWER: Yes. There are no restrictions on moving it from car to car.

QUESTION: Can my 1995 Ford Mustang use it?
ANSWER: Maybe. Some 1995 and even some 1994 vehicles are OBD2 (sometimes shown as OBD II) compliant. Look at the emissions stickers under the hood. If you find one that says OBD2 or OBD II, you should be able to use the ScanGauge.

QUESTION:Can I use the ScanGauge to tell how fast and how far my teenage son drove the car last night?
ANSWER: Yes. This information is stored in the trip computer and it can be recalled by you for up to a day after he used it.

QUESTION: What if my son disconnects the ScanGauge while he is using the car.
ANSWER: If the ScanGauge was disconnected during the trip, a disconnect indicator will be displayed in the trip data.

QUESTION: My speedometer only goes to 90MPH. Can the ScanGauge show speeds above this?
ANSWER: Yes, the ScanGauge can show speeds up to 158MPH.

QUESTION: Can I tell how high the coolant temperature has been getting on my wifes car?
ANSWER: Yes. The maximum coolant temperature is stored by the trip computer and can be read back by you later.

QUESTION: Can I use the ScanGauge to save fuel?
ANSWER: If your car reports information on fuel consumption (99% of cars and light trucks do), and you use it to adjust your driving habits, you can save a lot of fuel.

QUESTION: Do I have to reset the trip computers for each trip?
ANSWER: No. The CURRENT trip can be reset manually if you desire. It is automatically reset after the ignition has been off for more than a few minutes. The DAY trip will accumulate the entire days trip information and reset itself after the ignition has been off for more than 8 to 9 hours. The DAY information is moved to PREVIOUS before it is automatically reset.

QUESTION: The MPG gauge reading changes very quickly with slight changes in throttle or load. Can I smooth this out to better determine the affect of speed on fuel economy?
ANSWER: Yes, use the TRIP MPG function in the CURRENT mode. After reaching the desired speed, reset the TRIP. The average MPG since it was reset will be reported.

QUESTION: The ScanGauge shows a trouble code of E0468. How do I figure out what this means?
ANSWER: There are many sources to decode this. A search of the internet for Trouble Codes for your particular vehicle is a great way to get them. Print them out and keep them in the car for future reference. You can also find them in the vehicle shop manual and after-market service and emissions manuals.

QUESTION: What is FRZD in the ScanGauge?
ANSWER: When a trouble code is set, the data at that time (RPM, Coolant Temperature, Speed, Throttle Position, etc.) are captured like in a freeze frame. FRZD can be used to recall this data to help diagnose the problem.

QUESTION: What are the dimensions of the ScanGauge?
ANSWER: The ScanGauge is 5.2"Wide, 2.7"High and 2.1"Deep.

QUESTION: How do I find the plug to connect the ScanGauge?
ANSWER: The OBD2 connector is supposed to be located within 1 meter of the steering column. It is usually under the dash and just to the right or left of the steering column. Sometimes it will have a cover over its face. Other locations are under the dash on the passenger side under the dash, behind the ash tray and in a rare case, under the ash tray in the back seat armrest. The pictures below show the OBD2 plug in a typical location.

Bone said:
Steve found it, I just went ahead and became the test bird.

Anyhow, I drove around tonight with it. Looks very sharp at night. What impressed me first was the Inlet Air Temp. I sat at a light and watched the IAT rise to about 109F. When the light turned green I accelerated enough for my methanol injection to kick in. Then immediately the IAT dropped to 69F. Now I know my Meth Injection is functioning correctly, I am surprised how fast and how much it drops the temp. I tried it a second time at another light, this time after the meth came on, I immediately stopped so no further air was coming thru the grill to help lower the temp. Same results.:rock:

It was nice to also monitor my Ignition timing in degrees throughout the acceleration/rpms. That was all I studied tonight. I have a reply email from the distributor, I will answer and post if we can get a group buy for the rest of those who want one. :dancing:

Please sing out if interested so I can give them an idea who would like one.

BTW, it automatically turns on and off for you. Never had to touch it.

How much are they? I'm in...if it's cheap enough.

Very cool find. Thanks for trying it out also. If everything tests out, I would be interested.

Still haven't received a reply about a group buy or discount, but hey it's a Sunday.:damnmate:

I did however, find their website if you want to read more about it:
http://www.3n1autocomputer.com

So far it is reporting: CLSD LOOP, OPEN LOOP, Intake Air temp, Water Temp, Gallons per hour (or liters), Ignition timing, Engine Loading, MPG/KPG, MPH/KPH, MAP, RPM and Voltage. :rock:

The only reading I don't remember it reporting was Fuel Pressure. But it did say in the instructions that most vehicles don't report it. I will look at this specifically on the next run to the beer store. :dontknow:

Hopefully, they will reply tomorrow.

Drove it around today. Worked as advertised and I was impressed. No issues other than you won't be able to read Fuel pressure as they stated. I spent some time watching the OPEN and CLSD LOOP. It was interesting when the vehicle goes into Open loop. I didn't know it did as much as I saw.

Also, my IAT went from 145F to 87F with a quick 1 second burst of Meth/water. I am amazed of how well the Meth injection works. That's a 58 degree change in less than a second! Now I am definitely going to put it in my other truck. Hey, Stinker, you still got that Meth system for sale? :D

In addition, I put the gauge in direct sunlight and could see it perfectly. No problems there. I think you guys will really like this gauge (not only for our trucks). It does have bling appeal inside the truck too.:star:

Last edited:
Here it is fellas:

Stuart at http://www.3n1autocomputer.com will offer a $5 dollar discount if we order about 10 total (a few have already ordered). He said you must go through his website instead of Ebay and "They must put in the Paypal comment area " Viper discount "." He will refund the 5 dollars through Paypal.

Also for those already ordered. If you email him, he will also offer to refund 5 bucks. Hey it's a beer and a couple of wings.

$158.95 ( Plus $6.00 Shipping/Handling ), so it will end up 159.95 after refund.

email at [email protected]

You won't be disappointed with the gauge. :rock:

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back