custom flowmaster exhaust...

SRTcracka

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I need to tap into that vast pool of knowledge out there...tia!

Being a big fan of Flowmasters, and since they do not offer a kit for the Ram SRT-10.....I am thinking of building a custom type exhaust using flowmaster mufflers. I currently have a Magna-flow cat-back system...it sounds ok, but I heard that they use an x-pipe type design inside their muffler. If this is wrong, then someone please correct me...I cannot find a cut-away view of the muffler anywhere. :dontknow: I am not a big fan of X-pipe type designs. I've always had the best luck with sound and performance using H-pipes on other vehicles in the past. H-pipes seem to have a smoother tone, and less of the gargle sound and popping during deacceleration. So with that said, here is what Im thinking....

Basani shorty headers (using these so I will be able to easliy change from factory mids w/cats to 3" mids w/o cats...if necessary for legal concerns)

3" mids w/o cats...H-pipe added just before the mufflers...then into (2) 3" 70 series big block II flowmaster mufflers...these mufflers are the same length as the magna-flow I currently have, so I should be able to use the tailpipes off of them

Your comments...concerns...previous experiences???!

Yes, I believe the Magnaflow muffler is crossed over inside.

Ditch the Flowmasters and go with Aeroturbines. I picked up ponies when I did on both of my trucks. Flowmasters rust after a few years too. Not bad sound however.

I've got a custom 1 chambered flow exhaust.

It sounds like shit. most companies won't install flows without you signing a waver, stating that you will pay for it even when it sounds like crap.

Go with the resonated aero turbines or magnaflows..........

bigike said:
I've got a custom 1 chambered flow exhaust.

It sounds like shit. most companies won't install flows without you signing a waver, stating that you will pay for it even when it sounds like crap.

Go with the resonated aero turbines or magnaflows..........

Yeah, I've heard one chambered flows on mustangs before....they're really nasty and aggressive sounding! I like them, but I wouldn't won't them I'm driving pretty much daily. Any plans to change them out? Thanks for the input!

ya mutt hurry up i want to see them pics ,,,how does it sound can u post a recording

Flowmasters on the dyno showed a loss in HP............just a thought.

As far as the popping and gurgling on deceleration.....I belive its part of the viper motor, not because of the muffler.

Getting rid of the cats will make the truck louder. You will hear all gears at any speed. Some think its too loud, others think just right. Its really personal preference.

Dont ever expect to get this v10 to sound like a v8...........it never will. The viper motor has its own unique tone.

patrick

Hey Cracka, I know a guy in Bonifay named John Bush @ Bush's Paint Body that does good custom exhaust work. Just FYI...

EMT/SRT said:
Hey Cracka, I know a guy in Bonifay named John Bush @ Bush's Paint Body that does good custom exhaust work. Just FYI...

Right on!!

Yeah, the guy I used to go to got out of the business....I've been looking for someone new. There's not a lot to choose from around here...that you can trust, anyway. Do I need to use you as a referral? Where is he located in Bonifey?

mauiSRT/10 said:
Flowmasters on the dyno showed a loss in HP............just a thought.

As far as the popping and gurgling on deceleration.....I belive its part of the viper motor, not because of the muffler.

Getting rid of the cats will make the truck louder. You will hear all gears at any speed. Some think its too loud, others think just right. Its really personal preference.

Dont ever expect to get this v10 to sound like a v8...........it never will. The viper motor has its own unique tone.

patrick

Hmmmm...a loss on the dyno, huh. That's not good. Well, I'm not hard set on flows, but I do want to go to a two muffler w/ H-pipe set-up. Aero turbines and some dynomax sound pretty good, but I'll keep researching.

Yeah, these V10s do sound different, but that's what I like about them....I like to stand out and be unique...something these SRTs are good at. :rock:

SRTcracka said:
Yeah, these V10s do sound different, but that's what I like about them....I like to stand out and be unique...something these SRTs are good at. :rock:

Take your time and keep asking questions. Others will chime in. Tons of great info here that will save you bucks!!

patrick

Flows On our trucks???? How many members actually have flowmaster exhuast on their Trucks

SRTcracka said:
Hmmmm...a loss on the dyno, huh. That's not good.

Yeah, one of my buddy got the flowmaster exhaust on his IS300 with I6 engine. He took it on the dyno and show the loss of 5HP. He was so pissed off about that.

Well,I can tell you I have True Dual Magnaflows on mine and I deleted the two catastrophic converters without sensors to them,and I loe the sound !!!!

:rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:

A really cheap exhaust is the muffler delete with resonators and xpipe. I gave my muffler delete to a buddy with resonators and it sounds GREAT.

It sounded worse than my flows when I had it because i removed the resonator also.

Go WITH THE MAGNAFLOW, IT'S CHEAP AND GOOD.

IT'S THE DUALFICTA YOU CAN'T GO WRONG!

Me on the other hand, i'll blow more money because I want a dual 3" aero turbine into a single 5 or 6" pipe leading to a single diesel tip...........................

A while back someone post a link to a BMW V10 that had a KILLER exhaust on it!!! It was sitting in a parking lot "not a driving video" BUT MAN!! I SOUNDED GREAT!! Please someone with puter skills please re-post it!!:burnout: I think that BMW V10 had the same firing order as our's, but I'm not 100% on that! Please send a link. I would love to here that sound again!:eek:

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back