Broken bolt, need help!

FlyingLow

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The head of the bolt that holds the wing on broke off this weekend. I got the wing off but the bolt is still inside the wing. I tried spraying WD-40 around the threads but it still won't move. And that is with some vice grips on it. What else can I do?

Tough one. Since you can get some vice grips on it try working it back and forth. Keep spraying it with lube real good. I would suggest heating the area but you don't want to melt the wing. You my end up needing to drill it out and re-tap the hole. If your not comfortable with that, take it to a machine shop and let them do it. They have the tools and know how to handle it. Good luck.

Did it break with a piece sticking out? If so, you could use a small cutting wheel like on a dremel cut a slot and try to unscrew it with a flat head screwdriver. If no head is sticking your probably need to drill it out using a smal drill bit.

I did that while my truck was in warranty and the dealer replaced the wing. While wresting with it they cracked the area around the hole. I would try drilling it out, but I honestly think the metal liner will break the fiberglass before the bolt comes free.

I started putting anti-seeze on the bolts before putting them in.

Easy outs,they work pretty good !!! Just drill a small hole in the center,and use the special reverse screw they supply to reverse it out !!!I've got one right here !!!:rock:

LitemUp said:
Did it break with a piece sticking out? If so, you could use a small cutting wheel like on a dremel cut a slot and try to unscrew it with a flat head screwdriver. If no head is sticking your probably need to drill it out using a smal drill bit.

I've used this method a few times and works great!!!! As he said, you just have to have enough sticking out so you don't damage anything . . .

Good luck Scott!

ntw0rk said:
I'm not too sure about the easy outs guys. If it was stuck bad enough to break the head of the bolt off, I don't know how successful the easy out will be. My success with easy outs has been 50/50. Sometimes the easy out just reams the hole out. Nothing ventured, nothing gained though. They are available at Lowes or Auto zone if you needem' quick.

Use PB Blaster, and let it set over night. Than use a small propane torch and heat just the bolt until it gets pretty darn hot, than use the vice grips.

Bill.

what wing design do you have? i will assume that this is the non-tcover wing? so now what bolt are you talking about? the bolt in the front of the wing? or the slide bolt on the rear of the wing? again i will assume it is the front bolt? it really should not be to bad getting the front bolt out. just take your time and go slow. remember i said slow. take it easy. yes lube the piss out of it but go slow. once you get it out you may want to tap out the threads just to make sure this bolt did not get cross threaded.

good luck

PB Blaster overnight and an easy out...

But as said above...go slow and easy...

PB Blaster works better than anything I have ever seen at breaking things loose.

Bill.

Begood said:
PB Blaster works better than anything I have ever seen at breaking things loose.

Bill.

yep i used it on a girl in the back of 71 camaro on prom nite it worked good

Begood said:
Use PB Blaster, and let it set over night. Than use a small propane torch and heat just the bolt until it gets pretty darn hot, than use the vice grips.

Bill.

:rock: :rock: :rock: PB Blaster is the best there is.... WD40 is worthless.

FerrariTruck said:
yep i used it on a girl in the back of 71 camaro on prom nite it worked good
One more use that I did not know about.

Bill.

Right...:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

But that is what I would say if my wife frequented this place too.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back