Catch Cans

bigike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Justin or anyone else with the knowledge, you know my setup..............eddies setup. 2 catch cans with stainless lines coming of the back of the vlv covers.

My truck, has blown oil all over the inner fender since the day I got it. Not to mention the water collection problem, which I've contacted Sean Roe about. And the smell is actually bothering my family in the truck now.

When this type of mod is done, is the PCV system completely elliminated? Eddie has stated that there was some type of foam filter under the vlv cover to prefilter before going into the line, and the catch can. Would installing these help?

Am I building to much crankcase pressure with out a PCV system? Had this happen on a SBC and it blew oil everywhere until i reinstalled the PCV system.

Do I need a larger catch can to accommodate the blow by?

I've got 135 psi across the board and all my plugs look the same.............. you know like they've had W/M on them :)

Thank you for your help!

Jay

I have the cure for your problem.........but I am just too.....uhhh...I need to got to bed........I will PM my #.....call me tomorrow and I will tell you how to cure the smell and oil mess.......

bigike said:
Justin or anyone else with the knowledge, you know my setup..............eddies setup. 2 catch cans with stainless lines coming of the back of the vlv covers.

My truck, has blown oil all over the inner fender since the day I got it. Not to mention the water collection problem, which I've contacted Sean Roe about. And the smell is actually bothering my family in the truck now.

When this type of mod is done, is the PCV system completely elliminated? Eddie has stated that there was some type of foam filter under the vlv cover to prefilter before going into the line, and the catch can. Would installing these help?

Am I building to much crankcase pressure with out a PCV system? Had this happen on a SBC and it blew oil everywhere until i reinstalled the PCV system.

Do I need a larger catch can to accommodate the blow by?

I've got 135 psi across the board and all my plugs look the same.............. you know like they've had W/M on them :)

Thank you for your help!

Jay
wish i could help you with this i only have one catch can

TNVIPER said:
I have the cure for your problem.........but I am just too.....uhhh...I need to got to bed........I will PM my #.....call me tomorrow and I will tell you how to cure the smell and oil mess.......
I am guessing it worked;)

I went to a Viper guy at fastlane when I bought the truck. He said the catch can was small but didn't elaborate.

I thought maybe because it wasn't tall and the inlet was next to the vent it might cause a problem.

I've also cleaned the cans, lines and re-oil'D the filters.

Thought about remoting the filter to inside the fender where the stock filter got its air...........

Blow by is an indicator of piston land problems...Justin will tell you that excessive blow by is one of the first indicators of pistons coming apart...time to forge that engine before it creates a window in the block.

Once you start to get blow-by it will just increase.

Strongly recommend a leak down test...before you do anything else.

Last edited:
I only have a comp test kit, I'll buy either a leakdown kit or a bore scope and check it out.

I think I should've done this a few weeks ago ;)

The inlet has a tube going down into the can to prevent the oil from just going in and right back out the filter. Keep the catch cans as empty as possible and that will reduce the issue as much as possible. In the winter they collect alot of condensation, so you really have to stay on top of them in this weather if your truck gets driven alot. Its odd because some collect a ton and some barely collect, and it does change with weather. You can also put a prefilter or something similar over the breather to help soak up the mess if its continuing to do this. Just keep in mind, Prof speaks the truth on the blow-by.
Justin

Maybe take the meth card out and try that, run it without meth,its puring in fluid too much. plus you aint making any more hp, or maybe jsut stop driving the piss outta it:dontknow:

the harder you drive it, the more its gonna push out gasses and fluids, daily normal driving dont show problems;)

Tony I drive this thing a 10th as hard as I drove the Beloved..................... I stay in Vacuum.

What is safer the meth card or the 8D card...............at this point I don't care about HP. I can't run the 5D as it has a way high AFR.

Justin, when I bought it the cans were full to the top with water. I couldn't tell they were full as the pet-cocks were clogged. It was wetting down the fender with oil.

Now I stay on top of them and they stay empty, but it still blows oil all over the place.

Was there a PCV system that has been bypassed?

it is steaming out of the breather.................................. and wont break'em loose in first............................ seat of the pants dyno is not good. What did I do....................................:argh: :argh: :argh: :argh: :argh: :argh: :argh: :argh: :argh:

Jay stop driving it.

The 8D card is minus 8 degrees of timing and the safest...you may well have lost compression in one of your cylinders. The Water/Meth card is probably Zero degrees...much more radical and needs the water/meth to impede detonation.

Do not drive it until you identify the problem. The drivers side will have the most blow by because of the rotation of the engine. Most likely you have cracked or lost some of a ring land...that is the most common problem...but that means there is a chunk of piston land bouncing around somewhere and it will lodge eventually...meanwhile the rest of the land is coming apart too. Pull your pan drain plug and feel for metal filings...the end of the drain plug is magnetic...you will probably find metal on it.

Just my guess...

But you now have a great reason to forge that engine. Do it now...most of us with superchargers have it on our list of things to do...some have to do it sooner than others. Those who continue to drive it end up putting windows in their blocks and the cost goes up geometrically.

Forging is part of forced induction...plain and simple...the longer you wait the greater the danger.

Yep thanks man.......................I'm glad I unblocked you! :)

I'm stopping driving it.

The compression check i did was shady, I didn't jump out the solenoid I used the ignition and only bumped it with the throttle closed and got 135 on all 10. I'm going to the auto parts store now and bying a solenoid remote trigger and i'll do it correct.

There was no problems with the spark plug electrode either....... Man I'm in a bad way right now. Ali keeps coming out and telling me that everything will be ok, that we will fix it. My best friend wants to pull the engine right now........ LOL and so do I.

I wish I could find a leakdown kit............... where is a Snap On truck when you need one :)

thanks again Prof, I've already gone through every one of your old post's regarding these issues.

I wish it would've last more than 3 weeks LOL :) ;)

jay

I was so lucky to tear mine down when I did. Every one of my pistons had cracks in the lands...your symptoms are exactly the same as the ones I had.

The moment I started to have significant blow-by, I spoke with Justin...his comment was that it could be a lot of things...but most of the time, it was pretty serious damage...he was dead right.

We all go through it.

We will all help to get it back the way you want it.

When I changed the oil last week there was metal on the plug.

I just chalked it up to...............sometimes engines make metal.

Jay...got your PM....I had to leave the office early......reading what you have posted above tells me you have more than a little blowby and smell. What I was going to explain to you would take care of the smell but not the problem...Prof is right....you need to set your mind to a forging of the bottom end....

Thanks!

And when I'm done I can utilize the hole in the back of the blower and make it even faster.............. N2O;)

Now to find the money :)

This 5 week vacation doesn't look like such a good idea now..............

ike on the 5d card, i wouldnt go off of the guage unless your sure the meth hasnt corroded the sensor. that card is a stock sean roe card and should be ultra safe. just a thought. put it on a dyno and run it and youll know then.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back