Letter to Guiness

Kevan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
"To Whom It May Concern:

It has come to my attention that the Dodge Ram SRT-10 is no longer listed as the World's Fastest Production Truck. After further investigation regarding this claim, I have found that your listing is flawed, simply by definiton of what a truck really is.

According to Wikipedia, the definition of "truck" is:
"In North America, the word pickup generally refers to a small or medium sized truck, rather than vehicles based on passenger cars.
This light commercial vehicle features a separate cabin and rear load area (separate cargo bed). Two North American vehicles, the Chevrolet El Camino and Ford Ranchero were passenger car-based vehicles with integrated cargo bed, but were not generally referred to as pickup trucks (see Coupe Utility below).

Many pickups have short rigid sides and an opening rear gate, while others have a flat tray back. This type of vehicle is known in Australia and New Zealand as a ute or utility (from "utility vehicle"), in South Africa as a bakkie (pronounced "bucky"), and in Israel as a tender. Panel vans, a kind of van, popular in Australia during the 1970s, were based on a ute chassis."

LINK: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pickup_truck

This clearly states a difference between a "Pickup Truck", a "Ute", and a "Coupe Utility".

Althought very few in the automotive world distinguish between a 'ute' and a pickup truck, I believe that your publication should. If not purely for clarification and defining (as your publication has done for decades, with authority), then for future education of those who do not know the difference, or live in other parts of the world where certain vehicles are not brought to their particular market.

If you continue with your current defintion, then Dodge could simply leave the trunk lid off a new Viper Coupe and it would be classified as a "truck" that could easily break the current world speed record for that class.

If you were to separate the vehicles appropriately into 'truck' and 'ute' (or 'coupe utility') categories, then each vehicle would remain the world's fastest, respectively.

I am not out to spite the current listing in your publication. I am sure they are fine folks and have obviously done a great job with their vehicle and getting it into the record books. I would simply like the definitions to be made as clear as possible, for everyone's sake. I believe that your publication would be the best place to start.

I thank you for your time, and I hope to hear from you soon.

Sincerely and without malice,

Kevan J. Geier
Owner- 2005 Dodge Ram SRT-10
Member- Viper Truck Club of America (www.VTCOA.com)"

Last edited:
kalani said:
nice - get rid of the bloody holden!!!
I think you should visit the Australian Guiness offices and show them what a real pick-up looks like. Can't believe a ranchero is considered a truck :dontknow:

I'll post any reply I get, unedited.

If they don't reply, that's cool. I have a "Resend" button on my email. :D

Kevan said:
I'll post any reply I get, unedited.

If they don't reply, that's cool. I have a "Resend" button on my email. :D
Maybe if you send it to all 500 or so members on here, we could forward it with you!! We have resend buttons, too :D :D

Wifey said:
Maybe if you send it to all 500 or so members on here, we could forward it with you!! We have resend buttons, too :D :D
I think I'll try it first, then if nothing happens we can hammer them.
:D
"Do you smell that? Ya smell that? I love the smell of cooked mail server in the morning..."

Kevan said:
I think I'll try it first, then if nothing happens we can hammer them.
:D
"Do you smell that? Ya smell that? I love the smell of cooked mail server in the morning..."
:D ................ :rock: ..........................:D Post Ho's at your service :dancing:

I'll forward it along as well!! I hope they open up their collective eyes to this one.

Stretch

glad you took the time to tell them the facts,but unfortunately i dont think anything will happen.hopefully im wrong and they listen to you.that would be something interesting to admit that they were wrong.you should have addressed it to the "idiot" that doesnt know the definition of what a pickup truck is.open your eyes dummy wonder what kinda payoff they got?...lol

Geez..I thought this letter was about beer..lol
Good Job Kevan..let us know if they respond..

Riff62 said:
Geez..I thought this letter was about beer..lol
Good Job Kevan..let us know if they respond..
Thanks.
Technically, it is about beer! :) The owner of the Guinness brewery started the book of world records back in the 50's.

Great Letter!

But I don't think they'll give a rats azz, There book, there rules and they probably all drive cheby's....That was a cheby motor in that abortion of a truck you know

Jeff

I love the optimism. LMAO

I think they do care though. According to their site:

"The Records Management Team maintains a vigilant watch to guarantee the accuracy and relevance of each and every Guinness World Record™, the team of Records Managers operates with unswerving impartiality and commitment to veracity. A fact may only become a Guinness World Record™ when it’s tested, verified and elevated above all suspicion"

I guess we'll find out if that's true or not.

Kevan said:
I love the optimism. LMAO

I think they do care though. According to their site:

"The Records Management Team maintains a vigilant watch to guarantee the accuracy and relevance of each and every Guinness World Record™, the team of Records Managers operates with unswerving impartiality and commitment to veracity. A fact may only become a Guinness World Record™ when it’s tested, verified and elevated above all suspicion"

I guess we'll find out if that's true or not.

I'm glad you posted that,

We might have a fighting chance now because of this statement "verified and elevated above all suspicion"

Well, I have a lot of suspicion

I can't wait to see what happens in the coming weeks :D

It all sounds good, but don't you think Dodge would have been after them before pulling "Worlds fastest pickup" off their web site? Would think Dodge would have enough pull to make something happen if anyone.

Good luck though, it is BS for shure

mopar_mudder said:
It all sounds good, but don't you think Dodge would have been after them before pulling "Worlds fastest pickup" off their web site? Would think Dodge would have enough pull to make something happen if anyone.

Good luck though, it is BS for shure

Maybe Dodge doesnt care since they were dropping the SRT 10 this year anyway...:dontknow:
I own The FASTEST PICKUP I EVER DROVE so I am happy..lol:rock:

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back